Profile for AC126748

Edit Your Profile |

BroadwayWorld AC126748
Click to Enlarge
Member Name: AC126748
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Birthday: 8 - 22
Favorite Show(s):

Favorite Performer(s): Cherry Jones

Currently Listening To: Little Fish and Passing Strange

Most Recent Message Board Posts:
  • A DOLL'S HOUSE, PART 2 Reviews  Apr 28 2017, 01:16:30 PM

Toby Zinman writes an outlier review for the Philadelphia Inquirer in which she doesn't even try to hide that the play went over her head.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/phillystage/Dolls-House-Part-2-Entertaining-but-unsurprising.html

• DAVID COTE Out at TIME OUT  Apr 28 2017, 08:04:11 AM

GreasedLightning said: "AC126748 said: "Only Cote "got the ax". Winer and Murray both resigned for personal reasons. 

"

Well, to be fair, Ish got the ax too. Heh

"

I think we're all aware of that. But I was responding to the comment of three "pretty notable critics" getting the ax at the same tim

• DAVID COTE Out at TIME OUT  Apr 27 2017, 11:03:13 PM

Only Cote "got the ax". Winer and Murray both resigned for personal reasons. 

• Matthew Murray out at Talkin Broadway  Apr 27 2017, 11:01:57 PM

The title of this thread is misleading. It makes it sound like Matthew was fired, when in reality he resigned due to personal circumstances. 

• O'Hara and Pasquale will star in a concert staging of Brigadoon  Apr 27 2017, 02:39:41 PM

Pasquale is being prolific these days, me like. (re: he's also doing another reading at Williamstown Theater Fest, and was in Penzance last year.) 

If you're referring to the production of Penzance that was done in the Berkshires last summer, Pasquale was not in it. You're thinking of Will Swenson.

• DAVID COTE Out at TIME OUT  Apr 27 2017, 11:06:39 AM

Kad said: "I mean, they already had generally hacked down the length of most theatre reviews to a couple hundred words.

"

Wasn't that always their model, though? Even their lead reviews were generally in the 600-700 word range, for as long as I can remember. Most of the reviews were 300-word quick-hits that could easily be converted into a 75-word capsule.

• DAVID COTE Out at TIME OUT  Apr 27 2017, 10:59:52 AM

The only thing more predictable than layoffs is Newintown coming to post about the "ever-increasing irrelevance" of arts journalism. You have a low opinion of critics. We get it.

• Samuel Friedman Theater Seating Question  Apr 24 2017, 11:35:41 AM

It is high, and the front row seats are very close to the stage. I would recommend getting seats a few rows back, in order to best appreciate the entire stage picture.

• HEDWIG TOUR  Apr 24 2017, 11:10:33 AM

I'm pretty sure rush policies for touring shows are set by theaters, not productions--so you should check directly with the theater. In Philly, they offered rush for every performance.

• Playwrights Horizons Seating  Apr 23 2017, 11:54:44 AM

The theater is a hard proscenium configuration, and the first rows are VERY close to the stage. For some productions, this can be partial view, depending on the set. I would recommend getting seats at least 4-5 rows back, if not more. The entire house is only 12 rows deeps, and I don't really think there's a bad seat once you get at least a few rows back.

• THE LITTLE FOXES Previews  Apr 23 2017, 08:42:09 AM

This production treats The Little Foxes with respect, reverence even. That is often its impediment. This story of avarice in the American South at the turn of the century is sharply written, both as a piece of dramatic literature and as a morality tale of sorts. The current Broadway revival neither produces the crackling delight of which the Hubbards are capable, nor does it squarely land its more profound message about the wicked people who eat the earth.

At yes

• The Antipodes ticket--sale or swap  Apr 21 2017, 02:52:28 PM

I received a couple initial offers for the ticket, but they've all since backed out. The performance is on Mother's Day, which some people didn't seem to realize at first. So I'm still looking for a firm buyer. No one has tried to lowball me, and the price is firm, especially considering the run is sold out.

• What Went Wrong with the NINE Film?  Apr 21 2017, 11:52:12 AM

In addition to the miscasting of several key roles and the fact that the added songs were nowhere near as good as the ones they replaced, the film never quite nailed the musical's rueful tone. It often felt like an empty pageant -- but what else would you expect from Rob Marshall?

• HELLO, DOLLY! Reviews  Apr 21 2017, 11:44:11 AM

Matthew Murray - I like him as a person, but he's an odd "reviewer" - and he's not paid to review anything, just like people on Broadway World aren't paid to review - they're just people who want free tickets and have a site to post their thoughts.

I've seen you try to make this argument multiple times, both here and on ATC -- is "he's not paid, therefore he's not a 'real' critic" really the best you can do? 

• The Antipodes ticket--sale or swap  Apr 21 2017, 11:11:45 AM

Bumping again. Only looking to sell from this point out.

$37 (my cost) for one ticket to this sold out performance.

• What performance do critics attend?  Apr 21 2017, 10:26:41 AM

10086sunset said: "I don't remember the exact specifics, but didn't The Front Page recently do something regarding this, shutting out critics until opening night?

"

Yes, they did. The opening night performance was at 5:30PM in order to allow the critics to write and file before the final edition went to print.

• What performance do critics attend?  Apr 21 2017, 09:30:57 AM

Opera and music critics would also frequently leave performances before they were over, a fact that would be noted in their reviews (e.g., "Left prior to Brunnhilde's immolation," etc). At some point, they determined that opera reviews appearing overnight were not a matter of dire consequence...

• Best and Worst Broadway Theatres  Apr 21 2017, 09:04:11 AM

Best: I know people value the Booth for its intimacy, but it's never been my favorite. The sightlines are terrible unless you're sitting dead-center, and there always seems to be a lot of street noise. The Music Box and the Belasco have the best combination of everything as far as I'm concerned.

Worst: Studio 54. Terrible acoustics, horribly uncomfortable seats, and anything past the sixth or seventh row of the orchestra feels very far away from the stage. Sitting in the re

• Performances You Wish You Had Seen  Apr 21 2017, 08:20:17 AM

Laurette Taylor, The Glass Menagerie

• What performance do critics attend?  Apr 20 2017, 06:29:52 PM

Yes, it was common at one point to have critics rushing back to offices to bang out copy before the final edition went to press--or phoning in a review from the lobby of a venue.