Profile for Taryn

Edit Your Profile |

BroadwayWorld Taryn
Click to Enlarge
Member Name: Taryn
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Birthday: 6 - 14
Favorite Show(s): Sweeney Todd

Favorite Performer(s):

Most Recent Message Board Posts:
  • How young is to young to write produce or direct a musical  Nov 13 2015, 04:48:40 PM

There's no too young.  Just do it.  You don't start writing better work because you're older, you start writing better work when you've written a bunch of crappy work and learned to do better.  Get your friends together and put on a show with them.  Put up a play at school.  Don't worry about not being old enough -- just have fun know and start learning.

• Some of Jujamcyn on Ticketmaster Now  Nov 7 2015, 01:25:41 AM

neonlightsxo said: ""I feel that is more of a ticket broker than official source, but that's me."

That's not just you, that's a fact.

Lol right? is a broker playing entirely on public ignorance and the single most recognizable domain name for Broadway.

• Depression and Broadway  Oct 26 2015, 03:19:52 PM

People aren't responding to the idea of being interested in or passionate about theater.  Most people on this board are passionate about theater.  They're responding to your stated feelings about being so emotionally dependent upon theater that your life is depressing at all times when you're not experiencing it.  That's an issue.

• Mainstream artists that you think could write a good musical  Oct 19 2015, 10:52:37 AM

Oh my God James2 I love you for saying Rebecca Sugar.  Steven Universe is amazing.

• Mainstream artists that you think could write a good musical  Oct 18 2015, 04:25:49 PM

Ben Foooooooooooolds

• WAS BBAJ a really bad musical?  Oct 5 2015, 10:50:34 AM

Agree with Kad.  It lost something in the transfer, but I still ****ing loved that show.

• WAS BBAJ a really bad musical?  Oct 3 2015, 11:30:49 PM

I loved BBAJ both Off-Broadway and on, but it's true it lost a special something it had at the Public when it transferred.

• Spring Awakening: Triggering?  Oct 2 2015, 01:05:46 PM

I mean, Melchior even talks earlier in the show about how amazing it must be for a woman to basically fight/protest and then submit to a man.  Really, I think it's a big indication of how Melchior reading up on all the physical facts about sex doesn't actually mean he knows everything about sex -- he clearly doesn't really understand or appreciate the emotional ramifications of it all.  Melchior doesn't escape from the overwhelming oppression of ignorance, even when

• Spring Awakening: Triggering?  Oct 1 2015, 03:06:12 PM

Definitely just talk to your friend and be frank about it.  A lot of times people who have triggers don't necessarily need to avoid these topics entirely, but do much, much better handling them with warning and the ability to prepare their heads.  (I can still remember the strength of my reaction to the suicide in the original production, and that was before I lost my own brother to suicide; it still hit harder seeing the revival, but I would definitely have wanted to know it wa

• 1776 Casting  Sep 24 2015, 12:38:51 AM

It might be piggybacking off of Hamilton, but really -- who cares?  It still gives actors of color a shot at some awesome roles that they'd almost never be considered for in a production of this calibre.  I'm all for it.

• FUN HOME on TDF???  Sep 22 2015, 11:20:26 AM

Sadly, it won't let me purchase even a single for tomorrow night.  

• Shuffle Along artwork  Sep 11 2015, 06:01:32 PM

I swear someone was asking who the ad rep for the show is, even though I can't find it now, but for the record it's SpotCo.

• FringeNYC  Aug 23 2015, 10:22:47 PM

Two more tonight!

The Mad Scientist's Guide to Romance, Robots and Soul-Crushing Loneliness

I gotta admit, I loved this.  I'm very much the target demo for this crowd -- the less than common combination of musical theatre lover and sci-fi geek -- so take what you will from that.  But overall, I found it was clever, sweet, and well-written.  There's a number or two that could use tightening, either in the writing

• FringeNYC  Aug 22 2015, 07:45:07 PM

So!  I've seen a number of shows so far.  A few solid ones, one more than solid, one very much less than solid.  I haven't hit a WOW one yet, but word is I might tomorrow night when I see Schooled

Straight Faced Lies

Solid dysfunctional family dramedy with strong acting.  A little overwrought in places, but has a lot of really good honest moments.

I Want To Kill Lena Dunham

• Met Stops Blackface Use  Aug 6 2015, 03:32:42 PM

"again, blackface is racist and inappropriate. All I'm saying is that i believe in color blind casting. Aleksandrs is gonna kill it"

Colorblind casting was developed to give more opportunities to minority actors to play roles that are traditionally played by white actors without any story-based necessity.  It was NOT developed to give white performers minority roles.  It does not apply both ways.

• Met Stops Blackface Use  Aug 6 2015, 03:23:07 PM

Yeah sure, blackface has no cultural context entrenched in racism and oppression via dehumanization, make-up's just make-up it's all totally fine!  I don't understand the history of racial oppression in America so it's fine!

• Met Stops Blackface Use  Aug 5 2015, 06:02:30 PM

This would sure mean more if they also weren't going to have a white singer doing the role.

Whenever people are like BUT NO BLACK ACTORS/SINGERS CAN DO IT I'm like, one, **** you when's the last time you held auditions calling for them, and two, maybe you shouldn't do ****ing Othello then.

• FringeNYC 2015  Aug 5 2015, 04:18:05 PM

What are people excited to see this year?  What do folks predict the big hits of the festival are gonna be?  It's always so hard trying to decide what to see with so many options!

• Stonewall  Aug 5 2015, 01:28:01 PM

Wow that's sure white and cis

• Broadway and Minorities  Jul 25 2015, 02:52:37 PM

There are ways to have conversations with the writer community about the diversity of the world and how we can explore all those possibilities in a diversity of writing without "telling writers what to write about."

Like, why does everyone jump from A all the way to Z when this comes up like we're going to put writers into a room and take away all their white characters and force them to write.