Profile for Taryn

Edit Your Profile |

BroadwayWorld Taryn
Click to Enlarge
Member Name: Taryn
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Birthday: 6 - 14
Favorite Show(s): Sweeney Todd

Favorite Performer(s):

Most Recent Message Board Posts:
  • AMERICAN PSYCHO CLOSING  May 27 2016, 12:48:17 AM

Pretty sad to hear this.  It really is an original show.  I don't know if I'd say I loved it as much as I was fascinated by it; it definitely stayed in my thoughts.  I went and grabbed a TDF ticket to see it a second time before it closes.

I definitely wouldn't blame the marketing for this.  (Marketing always gets blamed when shows flop and never gets credit when they're successful.)  I think it had some of the slickest advertising of the season

• HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements  May 12 2016, 02:26:27 PM

I always assumed Lin had an alternate starting in previews so that he was able to have days that he could actually watch the show before it was locked in, and then likely continued as a solid to Javier and possibly, as suggested here, to give himself a little time to work on the many projects he has going outside of the show.

• Hamiltix Released  May 12 2016, 12:48:39 AM

pdjennings said: "So, I guess that mailing list on the website that specifically says "Be notified when new tickets are available by entering your email address" was a complete waste of time."

Yeah, that's -- really crappy.  What the heck.

• How Did You First Hear About Hamilton?  May 11 2016, 02:50:44 PM

The White House video way back when whenever it was first released.

• Create The  May 11 2016, 12:27:05 PM

The one year the Replacement Tony existed, it was designed to basically be optional and only given out if they felt there was someone worthy of it, and they didn't award it to anyone.  I still have a pretty distinct memory of Jonathan Pryce, who was in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels at the time, being kind of like, "Wow thanks on behalf of all the replacement actors this season."  On the one hand, I understand it being built that way -- awarding instances of an exemplary repl

• Lullabies from musicals?  May 9 2016, 12:30:07 PM

dramamama611 said: "SharpLapel said: "I know this isn't what you're looking for, but my best friend's dad used to sing her "A Bushel and a Peck" at night. Yes, I know, it's a strip number in GUYS AND DOLLS, but in another context, it's actually quite sweet."

Bushel and a Peck is NOT a strip number, it's also not a lullaby -- as it won't lull anyone to sleep.  (but I use to sing to my kids all the time.

• Under-active composers  May 8 2016, 05:16:26 PM

Adam Guettel2 said: "Hey good people of this Broadway World thread,

I know it appears that I have fallen off the face of the earth, but I'm still writing away. I've completed a first draft of MILLIONS, due for another workshop in August/September. Craig Lucas and I are half way through writing another show together (because of rights issues I can't mention the title yet) and I am well into a draft of an opera for Houston Grand Opera scheduled for their 202

• Tony-Worthy replacement performances?  Apr 29 2016, 02:16:04 PM

Well definitely not Jonathan Pryce in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.

• Tony award for best stage manager  Apr 25 2016, 12:21:57 AM

Wilmingtom said: "There are voters who work onstage, backstage and in management.  The problem is that, unless you've been intimately involved in a production from the outset, you'd have no basis on which to judge the job the SM had done. "

And they'd only be in a position to judge the stage managers on whatever shows they worked on themselves that season.  It's not something you can see from the outside, unless something fails spectacularly

• Can Lin Miranda write in other musical styles?  Apr 25 2016, 12:20:19 AM

Plenty of his songs, including ones others have already mentioned, could easily live in a musical without hip hop.  He's actually a lot more versatile already than a lot of other composers.  There's a certain joy to his writing in the way he draws from all these different musical styles.

• Did I make a mistake choosing Shuffle over Waitress or Tuck?  Apr 24 2016, 11:46:35 PM

I've seen both Shuffle Along and Waitress but not Tuck.  Shuffle Along thrilled me a whole lot more than Waitress did, for what's it worth.

• Tony award for best stage manager  Apr 24 2016, 11:44:04 PM

The problem is that the only people who are really in a position to vote on the best stage managers are the ones onstage, backstage, and working in the show's management, not the Tony voters.

• What book/movie would make a great musical?  Apr 24 2016, 03:16:16 PM

henrikegerman said: "BroadwayConcierge, doesn't commercial value and viability of a show depend on how good the show turns out to be? "

Definitely not.

• PRIVACY tickets on sale now for members...  Apr 21 2016, 04:21:02 PM

MX888 said: "macnyc said: "Get 'em while they're hot! The virtual waiting room that the Public is using is very cool. 
    I don't know if I will end up liking this show, from what I've read, but I have such a FOMO problem (fear of missing out) that I sprang for a ticket. But you didn't need to know all that.
    "

Did things go smoothly for you after exiting the waiting room? This is my second time dealing with it and having problem

• PRIVACY tickets on sale now for members...  Apr 21 2016, 04:16:39 PM

Got my tickets today!  The waiting room was, indeed, kind of cool; it's definitely overestimating your wait time.

• My DEAR EVAN HANSEN note / the finale (spoiler!)  Apr 21 2016, 03:27:17 PM

I enjoyed the show, but as someone who lost their brother to suicide I can't even imagine the level of fury I'd have felt if someone had pulled what Evan pulled.  I kind of agree that they rushed through the fallout, and I think the OP's suggestion for an ending is a good idea.

• Waitress Previews  Apr 21 2016, 12:19:55 PM

I'm a big fan of the film and a big fan of Sara Bareilles, so I was pretty excited for this show.  In the end, I generally enjoyed it but didn't love it, and I feel like it has some fairly distinct missteps.

The biggest one for me was how Earl was played.  I didn't go through this entire thread, but I did skim a bit and saw some others expressing a similar sentiment that he was a bit too comedic, almost cartoonish.  Jeremy Sisto played Earl brilliantly in the

• Hamilton actors to get profit-sharing  Apr 17 2016, 12:48:05 PM

SweetLips said: "and Taryn--blow it out your a.se----I am so glad I was 'in' the dark old ages because in those days, to us dumb chorus boys,.theatre was all about the show and NOT the business--we could not have cared less about that because we were IN IT and doing what we prepared for and loved.  It seems there is absolutely no way you can or could relate to that.

SL
    "

Wow, there is like no reason for you to be so aggressive at me for saying

• Hamilton actors to get profit-sharing  Apr 17 2016, 01:19:34 AM

Any time you start off with something like "in my day we would have PAID to be involved" you kind of remove yourself from being able to talk seriously about labor issues.

Actors shouldn't just be happy to be involved and take whatever they give them, and coming from that perspective always disempowers actors as workers and contributes to the very popular notion that allows shows to not pay actors at all.  Which is why AEA exists and why for many years the workshop co

• Daniel Radcliffe Will Return to the Stage This Summer in PRIVACY at The Public Theater!  Apr 12 2016, 05:21:51 PM

megaraa said: "Been considering becoming a member of the Public to secure tickets and with this announcement, maybe it's time to. Does anyone know how long it takes to become one? Like, if I registered/paid for a membership today, would it be effective immediately, i.e. in time for when tickets for this go on sale for members? 

Thanks!
    "

They send you a physical welcome letter that obviously takes a few days, but you'll

BROADWAYWORLD TV

COUNTDOWN CLOCK