Profile for Kad

Edit Your Profile |

BroadwayWorld Kad
Click to Enlarge
Member Name: Kad
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Birthday: 9 - 7
Favorite Show(s):

Favorite Performer(s):

Most Recent Message Board Posts:
  • Official Kickstarter to get Spring Awakening to perform on the Tonys  May 25 2016, 03:29:25 PM

Davenport alludes to he and other producers having made financial commitments to this.

• Official Kickstarter to get Spring Awakening to perform on the Tonys  May 25 2016, 03:04:53 PM

Wilmingtom said: "Kad, while I understand your well-taken points, I don't begrudge DW for trying to reimburse whoever agreed to bankroll their appearance.  I believe their efforts are sincere."

I don't begrudge DW at all!

I begrudge Davenport et al who champion the company but have deemed supporting their Tony performance as fiscally irresponsible, yet have put up the money and left DW to Kickstart their reimbursement. And that's what this is:

• re: Best Songs Cut From Broadway Musicals  May 25 2016, 02:49:38 PM

icecreambenjamin said: "Second Midnight from Into the Woods is a favorite as is the cut bridge of Children Will Listen."

I ADORE "Second Midnight," particularly the sections that eventually became 'Children Will Listen."

• Official Kickstarter to get Spring Awakening to perform on the Tonys  May 25 2016, 02:48:15 PM

Any ideas what happens if/when this Kickstarter is overfunded?

• Official Kickstarter to get Spring Awakening to perform on the Tonys  May 25 2016, 02:39:29 PM

The issue I have- and what I suppose others have- is that this is being framed as "a little theatre company that could" narrative when it's really "repay commercial producers who really believe in this project but have deemed it not fiscally responsible to foot this bill so they will take your money."

• Official Kickstarter to get Spring Awakening to perform on the Tonys  May 25 2016, 02:34:28 PM

I think this revival was stellar and I would love to see it perform on the Tonys.

But, given the details and timeline, framing this as a donation to a (very worthy) non-profit seems misleading. This looks like a situation in which the thing being Kickstarted is already financed, and all the money raised is going to pay that back. So, yes, technically it is a donation to Deaf West. But it's not money that Deaf West is actually seeing, it's money being used to pay back potentiall

• Official Kickstarter to get Spring Awakening to perform on the Tonys  May 25 2016, 01:52:41 PM

This is a commercial Broadway production whose producers are hiding behind a non-profit to ask the public to generously donate as an excuse to cut the losses on footing the bill for a nationally televised performance.

• Jake Gyllenhaal in Sunday in the Park  May 25 2016, 12:37:19 PM

It probably wasn't sooner because of the queue mechanism. It limited how many people could purchase at any given time.

• Jake Gyllenhaal in Sunday in the Park  May 25 2016, 12:15:11 PM

I'm hearing from friends that the performance is sold out.

• Official Kickstarter to get Spring Awakening to perform on the Tonys  May 25 2016, 11:43:58 AM

B-roll isn't as compelling if you're trying to launch a national tour.

• Official Kickstarter to get Spring Awakening to perform on the Tonys  May 25 2016, 11:38:23 AM

So, like, what happens if the Kickstarter ends on 6/11, as scheduled, and they're short? Do they... pull the performance from the broadcast the next day or something? All the actors are sent back home? All the planning required for the performance is tossed out? That's an absurd notion and that wouldn't happen.

They have the financing in place. They're just trying to cut the losses and repay the producers. That's obvious.

This isn't "fund a tiny prod

• Riedel on Hamilton not breaking Tony record for wins  May 25 2016, 11:34:12 AM

Heck, BWW sifts through the posts on this very board to pick up credible gossip and post it.

• Official Kickstarter to get Spring Awakening to perform on the Tonys  May 25 2016, 11:30:43 AM

This rubs me the wrong way.

"And honestly, even if we had the money, it wouldn’t be fiscally responsible for us Producers to ask our investors to foot this bill, especially with all they’ve risked in the first place.."

So they're asking... everyone else to foot the bill? Even though Davenport and the other co-producers have made financial commitments to this? "We already spent money, so..."

And I'm still very unclear as to how

• Dear Evan Hansen vs Hamilton  May 25 2016, 11:19:58 AM

Dear Evan Hansen is a very good new musical, but I don't think it touches the right cultural nerves to be the massive hit that Hamilton is. Despite its plot hinging (on a sliding scale of believability) on social media, it is still very much a by-the-books traditional musical.

I think the idea of "the next Hamilton" is a silly concept anyway. Hamilton isn't a yardstick to measure other shows by.

• Riedel on Hamilton not breaking Tony record for wins  May 25 2016, 10:56:20 AM

He used to be good for some backstage gossip, but he's barely even delivered much of that this season.

• Official Kickstarter to get Spring Awakening to perform on the Tonys  May 25 2016, 10:40:22 AM

LizzieCurry said: "No, they didn't. They aired the B-roll."

I stand corrected!

• frustration with the Public theatre  May 25 2016, 10:22:42 AM

Playwrights Horizon has probably one of the best systems: an under-30 "subscriber" program. It's free to sign up for, and essentially grants early tickets for $25 (I think?) plus guest tickets at a very reduced rate, which you are able to exchange for different dates if need be without hassle. You're essentially treated like a subscriber without having to make a large financial commitment to the season.

• Official Kickstarter to get Spring Awakening to perform on the Tonys  May 25 2016, 10:18:48 AM

GreenSharpie said: "People are so cynical! This would be the first Deaf West performance on the Tony Awards, which would be a huge feat for them and for deaf talent. "

Deaf West's Big River performed on the Tonys.

• Riedel on Hamilton not breaking Tony record for wins  May 25 2016, 10:15:47 AM

Riedel is pretty bad at predicting Tony outcomes because having a small handful of "sources" and a huge ego are not the tools necessary for accurately determining what 800 people will vote for.

• Riedel on Hamilton not breaking Tony record for wins  May 25 2016, 01:04:12 AM

Riedel pens something negative about Hamilton?! Shocker. 

He has publicly said he is doing this to be the voice of dissent. 

And no one cares. 

He's over and done.

BROADWAYWORLD TV

COUNTDOWN CLOCK