Profile for Kad
Edit Your Profile |

Click to Enlarge
Member Name: Kad
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Birthday: 9 - 7
Favorite Show(s):

Favorite Performer(s):

Most Recent Message Board Posts:
  • John @ Signature Theatre Co.  Aug 1 2015, 01:03:04 PM

Even if he's sort of on auto-pilot.

• John @ Signature Theatre Co.  Aug 1 2015, 12:41:40 PM

I really don't think the negative opinions expressed toward previous Baker stagings and this production in this thread have been bitchy at all.

• Why Does Michael Riedel hate  Jul 31 2015, 06:30:59 PM

Also, the logistics of this don't make sense- the producers are constricting an allegedly 1400 tickets for Tony voters to 16 days? That would result in houses with disproportionate numbers of comps. Why would the producers of the show- which Riedel seems to want to paint as very greedy- want houses with 80 comps in the premium orchestra?

• The most frequently produced high school plays and musicals- by decade (fascinating list!)  Jul 31 2015, 03:41:13 PM
    Really interesting- and not terribly surprising that many of the most oft-produced plays are older, since the trend in plays has overwhelmingly moved toward smaller casts.

And I'm surprised Into the Woods only cracked the top 10 in this decade.
  • Why Does Michael Riedel hate  Jul 31 2015, 12:03:54 PM

I'm sure there *will* be exceptions made, but I do think the production will be more strict about Tony voter tickets than many other productions generally are (which isn't very strict at all). And I see nothing wrong with that, as the voters enjoy a great deal of privilege as is. (Which is not to see the voters are people of privilege overall; I certainly know voters who do not have the means to summer away from the city).

• Why Does Michael Riedel hate  Jul 31 2015, 11:27:01 AM
    I'd understand the objection if it were coming from out-of-town voters, who *do* need to schedule travel and lodging. But, curiously, none of those people were quoted.
  • Why Does Michael Riedel hate  Jul 31 2015, 11:21:49 AM

I have remarkably little sympathy for the poor Tony voters, who see an eligible Broadway season for free in primo seats- and get to take a guest along for it. But I guess some would rather be playing tennis than honoring their obligation.

• Hamilton Previews  Jul 30 2015, 12:04:08 PM
    Well, I'm not sure that the work ethic or willingness to make changes is what's being upped here. I think what this show's team is doing, which doesn't happen much, is being very transparent in what's going on. Miranda, on top of being rather candid generally, has used his social media presence to basically mark his day-by-day journey with the show, giving people a rare glimpse into the development of a musical.
  • 2016 Pulitzer  Jul 30 2015, 10:46:58 AM
    The committee also loves to pull works that have not been seen in NYC yet, so who knows?
  • 2016 Pulitzer  Jul 30 2015, 10:01:10 AM
    It's very difficult to predict what the committee will choose.
    That being said, I would be shocked if Hamilton were not a finalist / the winner next year. As of now, I don't think there's anything else- play or musical- that can compare or lines up with the award's mission as well.
  • Stop dressing like crap!  Jul 30 2015, 09:31:55 AM
    I'm not sure how I can justify dressing up to a place that serves bad wine in sippy cups.

• Matthew Broderick in Sylvia  Jul 28 2015, 04:44:45 PM
    Not only stale, but downright, inexcusably bad.
  • Women's College Cancels The Vagina Monologues So Transgenders Won't Be Offended  Jul 27 2015, 12:54:26 PM
    """Just doing his job"? He's not a grocery store cashier that someone is yelling at for not giving correct change. He is a creator of content and a cultural icon. "

... whose job is to tell jokes. Why must we make such distinctions?"

Seinfeld is not reading off a script or following chain of command. He's doing and saying what he wants with the end result of getting a laugh. Do you think that since a comedian's job and goal is to earn a laugh, they are in the right to do
  • Matthew Broderick in Sylvia  Jul 27 2015, 12:19:31 PM
    I have no doubt Ashford will be great, as will Wilson- both are fantastically talented actresses. I would like very much to be surprised, as a fan of both.
  • Women's College Cancels The Vagina Monologues So Transgenders Won't Be Offended  Jul 27 2015, 12:16:55 PM
    "Just doing his job"? He's not a grocery store cashier that someone is yelling at for not giving correct change. He is a creator of content and a cultural icon.
  • The Color Purple Announcement Today  Jul 27 2015, 12:14:57 PM
    Joaquina Kalukango stole The Wild Party from everyone else in that cast, so I am very excited to see her in this.
  • John @ Signature Theatre Co.  Jul 27 2015, 11:02:47 AM
    I'm seeing this at the end of August, on a talkback night. I'm very curious.
  • Matthew Broderick in Sylvia  Jul 27 2015, 11:01:11 AM
    I doubt this would extend if Broderick is the star name. This sort of has flop written all over it, at least to my mind.
  • Women's College Cancels The Vagina Monologues So Transgenders Won't Be Offended  Jul 26 2015, 11:00:27 PM

The fact is: no one is being silenced.

We are living in a world in which, thanks to the Internet, people who were previously without much of a voice now have one. We are living in a wider, more interconnected world, in which it's actually fairly easy to see the ripples something can make. We can see the effect of a casually bigoted joke. And most people just would like others to see that effect, and have it give them pause to think, "is this right to say? is a laugh, or a

• Women's College Cancels The Vagina Monologues So Transgenders Won't Be Offended  Jul 26 2015, 09:46:48 PM

Yeah, anything goes in comedy, and has for a long time. But it turns out that a lot of people who have been the butt of jokes, as well as the butt of much larger institutional issues, don't really like that. And are now saying so, because they finally can. 

And it turns out the comedians who have been able to get away with with punching down for no particular reason other than easy laughs for decades... don't think that's so funny. Imagine that.

There are a lot of f

BROADWAYWORLD TV