Profile for Kad

Edit Your Profile |

BroadwayWorld Kad
Click to Enlarge
Member Name: Kad
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Birthday: 9 - 7
Favorite Show(s):

Favorite Performer(s):

Most Recent Message Board Posts:
  • MISS SAIGON Reviews  Mar 24 2017, 01:26:10 PM

A thread about Miss Saigon that leads to a discussion of depiction of race... of course Dave19 shows up to object, albeit with a slightly new name.

• Jesse Green - new NYT critic  Mar 22 2017, 03:55:36 PM

I kind of thought Alexis Soloski was going to be promoted up. But Jesse Green is a good choice- even when I don't agree with him (which is often), his reviews are worth reading.

• OSLO Previews  Mar 22 2017, 01:11:03 PM

Regardless of what is nominated, I think this is the best crop of new plays Broadway has seen in a long time- and largely from writers who have not been seen on Broadway.

• OSLO Previews  Mar 22 2017, 12:59:26 PM

The only real unknown on that list is Doll's House Pt.2... but knowing Hnath's work, I suspect it will not be everyone's cup of tea.

• OSLO Previews  Mar 22 2017, 12:48:38 PM

Indecent contains even less of God of Vengeance than Shuffle Along contained the original Shuffle Along, so I really can't see anyone even attempting that argument.

I think Indecent will be (deservedly) nominated but I can't see it being a frontrunner unless its themes of "the arts under attack" resonate deeply with voters in this political climate.

Oslo, Sweat, and Indecent are all extremely timely but for different reasons.

Oslo presents an optimis

• OSLO Previews  Mar 22 2017, 12:27:14 PM

This is a surprisingly weak year for play revivals. The Front Page may have sold tickets with its all-star cast, but really did not make a lasting impression.

And yes- there is no way Jitney will be considered a new play. It was written in 1982 and is a known (and lauded) property.

I agree it'll be Sweat v. Oslo. Both are compelling and timely pieces of drama.

• Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017  Mar 21 2017, 04:00:24 PM

There's no way Dreyfuss could be considered leading.

• OSLO Previews  Mar 21 2017, 03:55:03 PM

I loved it at the Newhouse, too. Jennifer Ehle was a marvel.

I'd consider this the frontrunner for the Best Play Tony, honestly.

• Musicals that miss the point of the movie they are based on  Mar 21 2017, 12:33:22 PM

Little Shop was first a movie, an extremely low budget 1960 B movie directed by Roger Corman.

• HELLO, DOLLY! Previews (seat locations)  Mar 16 2017, 11:30:02 AM

So thrilled to hear of the enthusiastic reception to this production. This could've been something that rode the coattails of its baked-in ticket sales for Midler, but I'm glad it's doing more than that.

I'm seeing it next Friday- and taking my folks- and cannot wait.

• Odd Pulitzer Prize for Drama Committee Selections  Mar 10 2017, 04:25:20 PM

The Pulitzer for Drama language states that the winning work is "preferably original in its source and dealing with American life." That gives them a lot of wiggle room to award things like How to Succeed or Hamilton, which do not meet the former, and Ruined, which does not meet the latter, or The Diary of Anne Frank, which meets neither.

• WAR PAINT Previews  Mar 8 2017, 12:21:17 PM

I don't think they are going for camp... but the best camp never does.

• 2017 Pulitzer: your predictions  Mar 8 2017, 10:25:52 AM

I think likely candidates include Oslo, Sweat, A Life, Indecent, and The Wolves.

• What is happening lately?  Mar 8 2017, 10:15:33 AM

I've been posting here considerably less in the last few months. I'm finding thoughtful discussions of theatre few and far between on here; it seems the board is often used like Yahoo Answers more and more. There's been a trend of new posters who like to start new topics that pose a question for discussion... but not offering anything else to go on, like their own views or reasoning. The members who have deep knowledge of theatre and the industry post with less frequency. I k

• SIGNIFICANT OTHER Reviews  Mar 3 2017, 03:03:09 PM

Though I largely enjoyed the play off-Broadway, my misgivings  are similar to those in the Towelroad review. I think Harmon isolates Jordan so thoroughly from the rest of queer life to a surprising degree and it is hard for me to discern whether or not that is the point or merely a contrivance to make this thing go. The character is fixated on a monogamous heteronormative relationship to the point of being blinkered, while also having no queer friends, having no willingness to consider o

• Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/26/17  Feb 27 2017, 03:57:19 PM

TheSassySam said: "I wonder why Significant Other is such a difficult sale? I wish I had room to fit it into my trip."

They have a practically nonexistent ad campaign and the one they have is vague. Nobody knows what the play is.

• THE PENITENT (previews)  Feb 27 2017, 12:55:34 PM

Yeah, even with its very short running time (with intermission, just under 90 minutes- meaning the play itself is just over an hour, marked with a totally perfunctory act break), this one is a massive slog.

Mamet's trademark dialogue style, full of interruptions and half-thoughts, here comes off as nothing short of stilted. Sentences are cut off after a word by silence. Dialogue is more like a Meisner repetition exercise than a conversation. Sentences are constructed in a vaguely a

• Should Actors Be Smoking At The Stagedoor ?  Feb 22 2017, 11:19:09 AM

broadwayboy223 said: "I'm curious to know who it was. If it's an actor in a musical they really shouldn't be smoking. "

Then you are going to be shocked by the number of musical theatre performers who smoke.

• Rants! (And Other Ways to Un-Twist the Tongue)  Feb 21 2017, 02:52:51 PM

Yvan's wedding invitation monologue in Art comes to mind - about two and a half full pages in the script, but the bulk of it is one sentence.

• Ring Twice for Miranda and City Center Stages 1&2  Feb 21 2017, 12:57:29 PM

Ring Twice. It's not affiliated with MTC at all, merely renting the space (Linda is part of the MTC season).