Profile for Kad

Edit Your Profile |

BroadwayWorld Kad
Click to Enlarge
Member Name: Kad
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Birthday: 9 - 7
Favorite Show(s):

Favorite Performer(s):

Most Recent Message Board Posts:
  • Watch What Happens Live - Lea Michele  Apr 28 2017, 12:13:55 PM

Why is she doing the press junket?

• Is the Great Comet really that confusing  Apr 28 2017, 11:39:59 AM

I don't think "I wasn't emotionally invested in the characters/story" is a valid critique of the objective value of something. I was emotionally invested in Great Comet. Not so much Dear Evan Hansen. I don't think that's a success on the part of the former or a failure from the latter, but rather just my own preferences.

• Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions  Apr 28 2017, 11:13:37 AM

He gets more attention by being brash and wrong than right and he knows it.

• A DOLL'S HOUSE, PART 2 Reviews  Apr 27 2017, 10:09:05 PM

I'm shocked it didn't get critic's pick- it's a rave review, with pull quote after pull quote. 

• A DOLL'S HOUSE, PART 2 Reviews  Apr 27 2017, 09:05:02 PM

Yes, Jeffrey, thank you for taking the time to compile these.

• Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions  Apr 27 2017, 05:23:36 PM

Only the new elements of the Broadway production (set, lights,  Benton, and Groban) were eligible for both OCC and Drama Desk. It seems Chavkin's direction was considered a new element for the Drama Desk, as well, despite having received a nomination for it off-Broadway

• Warning to NY  Apr 27 2017, 05:05:54 PM

You're capable of being extra obnoxious?

• Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions  Apr 27 2017, 04:55:00 PM

Anastasia will not be edging out Great Comet.

Remember: Dear Evan Hansen and Great Comet were not eligible for the OCC or Drama Desk Awards, creating a vacuum that other musicals had to fill. That's partly why these awards are not reliable indicators of Tony success.

• BANDSTAND Reviews  Apr 27 2017, 01:34:16 PM

If we are going to be doing works from or set in eras of segregation, then casting them in a way that would be historically accurate just perpetuates a lack of diversity on stage and creates a vicious cycle.

• Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions  Apr 27 2017, 01:31:52 PM

Peil also seemed to be well-received for her performance.

• Is the Great Comet really that confusing  Apr 27 2017, 12:51:17 PM

The plot really is quite simple. The only element I was ever somewhat puzzled by was what made Natasha's visit to the Bolkonskys so disastrous- I was pleased that this was clarified a great deal in the Broadway production.

• Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions  Apr 27 2017, 12:21:13 PM

There's also a lot of industry affection toward Colella, who is a real trouper who has yet to have a hit after years and years of consistently great work.

• Is the Great Comet really that confusing  Apr 27 2017, 12:18:30 PM

Yes, the show is styled, at least superficially, on an opera- the solos are even marked as "arias" in the program.

• DAVID COTE Out at TIME OUT  Apr 27 2017, 11:35:19 AM

bjh2114 said: "I don't deny that it's possible!!!  But there's something about the WAY he writes both things, and I can't put my finger on it."

Well, just glancing at the likes/shares of the most recent hottest chorus people list... it's far more popular than the vast majority of the reviews. The writers of Time Out as under immense pressure to deliver traffic.

• DAVID COTE Out at TIME OUT  Apr 27 2017, 11:17:01 AM

I'm pretty sure you can do a fluff piece on hot chorus people and still be objective about theatre.

Just like you can buy a ticket to Broadway Bares and also be objective about, like, Oslo.

• DAVID COTE Out at TIME OUT  Apr 27 2017, 11:05:04 AM

I mean, they already had generally hacked down the length of most theatre reviews to a couple hundred words.

• DAVID COTE Out at TIME OUT  Apr 27 2017, 10:45:10 AM

Time Out has been having layoffs throughout the last couple of years. There was a general sense amongst people there of just waiting for the shoe to drop- it was just a matter of when and whom.

• 2017 Drama Desk Nominations & Awards  Apr 27 2017, 10:42:40 AM

haterobics said: "Kad said: "Well, Great Comet and Dear Evan Hansen were presumably ineligible for any elements that had been nominated or eligible previously."

Same with Significant Other?
    "

I would assume so, yes, as the production was essentially the same as it was at the Pels.

As for the costumes: it seems Paloma Young was nominated for Great Comet back in 2013, so maybe that makes her ineligible as her expanded work fo

• 2017 Drama Desk Nominations & Awards  Apr 27 2017, 10:32:17 AM

bjh2114 said: "Remember that these are the people who snubbed Kelli O'Hara a few years ago for King and I. There's even less correlation with the DDs and the Tonys than the OCCs and the Tonys. Don't put too much stock in these."

Indeed. The DD have, I think, the widest net of potential nominees- Broadway, Off-Broadway, and Off-Off Broadway, not to mention special events like productions at the Armory. You have far more competition for each indivi

• 2017 Drama Desk Nominations & Awards  Apr 27 2017, 10:26:01 AM

Well, Great Comet and Dear Evan Hansen were presumably ineligible for any elements that had been nominated or eligible previously.

Overall, a weird set of nominations.