BroadwayWorld.com
Profile for SporkGoddess
Edit Your Profile |

BroadwayWorld SporkGoddess
Click to Enlarge
Member Name: SporkGoddess
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Birthday: 8 - 4
AOL IM: PM if you want to know :D
Profile: I'm an absolute musical and opera nut.

Favorite Show(s): Coco
Evita
Floyd Collins
Jesus Christ Superstar
Miss Saigon
My Life With Albertine
Parade
Passion
Ragtime
She Loves Me
Side Show
Sweeney Todd
The Light in the Piazza
The Scarlet Pimpernel
West Side Story

Favorite Performer(s): Carl Anderson
Carolee Carmello
Audra McDonald
Brian Stokes Mitchell
Kelli O'Hara
Lea Salonga
Anthony Warlow
Colm Wilkinson

Currently Listening To: You name it!

Most Recent Message Board Posts:
  • The Last Five Years (The Movie, The Thread)  Feb 16 2015, 02:43:14 PM
    I have a question, speaking of muddling the timelines. When Cathy sings "When You Come Home to Me" during "A Miracle Would Happen," is that during her timeline or Jamie's? I always thought it was during hers, but the movie confused me.

• The Last Five Years (The Movie, The Thread)  Feb 15 2015, 09:31:29 PM
    Jamie was more likeable to me - and the film made the breakup seem more of Cathy's fault for being needy to the point where she can't be supportive

See, I thought that Cathy's whole diatribe before "If I Didn't Believe in You" makes her seem more sympathetic. According to her, he just brings her to those parties to ignore her and flirt with other women. She says she just sits there at the bar all night and no one talks to her. And Jamie never addresses that, but instead j
  • The Last Five Years (The Movie, The Thread)  Feb 14 2015, 11:56:12 AM
    I saw it last night with my husband, who knew from me that the timelines are opposite but didn't have any other knowledge about the show.

I really liked it. I didn't really like Anna Kendrick vocally (she straight toned way too often for me), but I loved her acting. She broke my heart in "Still Hurting." Thought Jeremy Jordan was good but nothing amazing. Granted, I'm not sure he had a lot to work with.

Does the stage show ever even say that Jamie is sleeping with Elise? I'v
  • James Barbour is in my opinion a Sex Offender  Jan 17 2015, 02:14:29 PM
    Just a few thoughts.

1. I actually remember at least one or two threads on here when Barbour was cast in Rocky Horror. So there was some outrage, although it wasn't to the same level.
    2. Unlike stealing a loaf of bread to feed your sister's starving children, sexual offenses have a high recidivism rate. That's why we have the registry (which, admittedly, has a lot of flaws) and why a sexual offense tends to follow someone throughout their whole life.
    3. The fact that t
  • Jekyll & Hyde Film version  Dec 16 2014, 09:03:22 PM
    Even if she could handle it vocally, McPhee is a terrible actress. She's been fairly decent-ish on Scorpion but I don't think she could handle Lucy in a way that wouldn't be unintentionally hilarious.
  • The Light in the Piazza  Nov 4 2014, 08:47:11 PM
    I was obsessed with this show for about a year and saw the first national tour. Absolutely love it. The storyline is... a bit odd and perhaps even embarrassing to explain, but the score more than makes up for it.

The second time was less enjoyable due to the face that the new Clara, who is featured on the PBS telecast, was outright terrible. I would not normally describe a professional performance with such nasty adjective, but that poor girl was way in over in her head. And that lo
  • Help finding a 1st dance song for my wedding  Oct 19 2014, 09:02:49 PM
    I LOVE "The Next Ten Minutes" for a wedding, if you don't think it'd be a bad omen. I also like JRB's "Someone to Fall Back On."

That or "Some Enchanted Evening."
  • Opinion on Anne Hatheway's performance in Les Miserable. Is it Iconic?  Oct 11 2014, 02:50:19 PM
    I thought that Amanda Seyfried was actually the worst thing about the movie, not Russell Crowe. Not that Crowe was good, of course.
  • When and why did overtures go out of style?  Sep 28 2014, 12:33:17 PM
    Sporkgoddess, Jesus Christ Superstar's overture consists of: Jesus Must Die, Hosanna, Trial Before Pilot, The 39 Lashes (including the handwashing sement) then Superstar. So many of the songs in Superstar switch themes and melodies. In the movie it is basically Trial bBefore Pilot and Superstar.

Oh, that's interesting. In the community stage productions I've seen it's usually been Trial Before Pilate/Superstar. I saw one professional touring production, but I can't remember whi
  • When and why did overtures go out of style?  Sep 28 2014, 12:39:53 AM
    TOMMY has an overture, and it is epic and one of my favorites, but it's particularly hard to think of examples of overtures from rock-based scores

Jesus Christ Superstar has one, and I think of that as a pretty rock-based musical. Granted, it's basically "Trial Before Pilate" without any lyrics.
  • My 2014 MISS SAIGON Live Recording Has Dispatched!  Sep 26 2014, 08:53:14 PM
    I've only started listening to it, but not loving most of the lyric changes.
  • Last Five Years - siding with one character?  Sep 15 2014, 12:39:54 AM
    I really, really dislike Jamie so definitely Cathy. I don't think that Jamie intends to be a jerk, but he's very egotistical, self-centered, and not very empathetic. Like I said in the L5Y film thread, Cathy was having her career issues at the beginning of their relationship and he still chose to marry her. Plus I think that Jamie just jumped in too soon and that's why he got tempted by fame and other women--he even admits it in "Moving too Fast." And then according to "A Miracle Would Happe
  • LAST FIVE YEARS Film -- First Reviews from TIFF  Sep 8 2014, 08:18:14 PM
    I disagree completely. She has one good song, he has all the best songs, and I never saw Jamie as asshole. She clearly drives him away

I disagree with you. Even when Jamie is supposed to be acting nice and in love, he comes across as a self-absorbed, egotistical jerk to me. Yes, Cathy doesn't want to go to your parties not because you ignore her and flirt with other women, but because she's clearly resentful of your success! Of COURSE that's it!

The timeline of the
  • LAST FIVE YEARS Film -- First Reviews from TIFF  Sep 8 2014, 12:44:35 AM
    Oh yeah, I feel pretty bad for Anna Kendrick from what I've seen of Cathy's wardrobe in this film.
  • LAST FIVE YEARS Film -- First Reviews from TIFF  Sep 7 2014, 08:39:13 PM
    It's weird seeing Jamie interacting with her in the scene, but I love it. They had great chemistry, too. Granted, Jeremy Jordan can have amazing chemistry with pretty much anyone, except for Kat McPhee.
  • West End MISS SAIGON to receive Live cast recording  Aug 29 2014, 11:58:00 PM
    Aww, I love Jon Jon Briones as the Engineer. Maybe he comes across better in person than on a recording.

I agree about the lyric changes though.
  • The Movie in my Mind  Aug 17 2014, 09:21:53 PM
    They're definitely different from the original recording. Not sure if these changes were made in another production or if they're more recent.

The one that made me cringe was "He takes me to a place / where I don't have to dance."
  • The Movie in my Mind  Aug 17 2014, 04:32:56 PM
    I don't like the lyric changes. Rachelle Ann Go and Eva Noblezada sound good though.
  • Sardi's Caricatures  Aug 16 2014, 08:41:01 PM
    This has actually been discussed a lot here. A lot of people (myself included) don't think that the artist is very good.
  • GIRLS Star Allison Williams To Play Peter Pan In NBC Production  Jul 30 2014, 10:07:52 PM
    She's a great singer, but I don't think that she's a very strong actress. Guess we'll see, though!

BROADWAYWORLD TV