Profile for SporkGoddess

Edit Your Profile |

BroadwayWorld SporkGoddess
Click to Enlarge
Member Name: SporkGoddess
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Birthday: 8 - 4
AOL IM: PM if you want to know :D
Profile: I'm an absolute musical and opera nut.

Favorite Show(s): Coco
Evita
Floyd Collins
Jesus Christ Superstar
Miss Saigon
My Life With Albertine
Parade
Passion
Ragtime
She Loves Me
Side Show
Sweeney Todd
The Light in the Piazza
The Scarlet Pimpernel
West Side Story

Favorite Performer(s): Carl Anderson
Carolee Carmello
Audra McDonald
Brian Stokes Mitchell
Kelli O'Hara
Lea Salonga
Anthony Warlow
Colm Wilkinson

Currently Listening To: You name it!

Most Recent Message Board Posts:
  • ANASTASIA Previews  Apr 24 2017, 08:01:50 PM

I dunno, I think that the romance is better done in the movie than in the stage show.  They just had really good chemistry in the movie, so them going from arguing to head over heels was a believable transition to me.  In the stage show, they're nicer to each other but I don't get why they fall for each other.  Although I did like the change about how they met as kids because I'm a sucker for that sort of thing.

• Kevin Spacey 2017 Tony Awards Host  Apr 19 2017, 10:59:34 AM

Also, I'd like to reiterate, that I think the more important conversation here is not whether or not Kevin Spacey is queer, but whether or not it is acceptable to allow a known(ish) sexual predator to host an awards show of this caliber.

Thank you for bringing this up.  I've also heard many, many rumors about this and it's the primary reason I am not thrilled with this hosting decision.

• Legally Blonde Musical Opinions  Apr 18 2017, 12:56:22 PM

I'm not saying that her video essay was great, but she made more coherent reasons to admit her in it than she did in the stage version marching band version.  In the movie, it's apparent that her GPA, LSAT score, and extracurricular activities are pretty much why the board admits her.  In the musical, some of the board only want to admit her because she's attractive.  They just say "For reasons of... multiculturalism!", which is a prett

• Legally Blonde Musical Opinions  Apr 18 2017, 07:46:27 AM

I like the score, but I think that the book is really bad.  Like, fascinatingly bad, to the point where I could write a whole essay on what I dislike about it.  Here are some of my issues with the book.  Keep in mind that I'm a huge fan of the movie, and obviously all of this is my opinion:

- They basically took the same jokes from the movie, then reworded them to make them somehow less funny ("Happy people don't kill!" for instance).

- The n

• ANASTASIA Previews  Apr 11 2017, 05:40:27 PM

Huge fan of the movie here--I grew up with it and have seen it a million times.  

I saw a video of the Hartford production and I completely agree that it kind of messes up the storyline that Anya knows Dmitri is pulling a con all along.  It makes her anger at the ballet seem disingenuous or, worse, confusing to the audience. I felt that way about a lot of the show--they made some changes but then kept all of the movie storyline's "beats" even if they no longer m

• Official  Mar 29 2017, 05:40:05 PM

"Isn't it really a more feminist message if Belle isn't a powerhouse singer? Disney has set young girls up to believe they have to look a certain way and be musically gifted and that's the only way they are worthy of love. That's why so many young women have self-esteem issues. Why does the Disney princess have to be beautiful and talented while the guy can just be a hairy jerk? What are we telling our daughters? Maybe it's time to celebrate mediocrity. 

• MISS SAIGON Reviews  Mar 28 2017, 06:29:16 PM

Honestly, the audience's love of the Thenardiers in Les Mis has always driven me crazy.  Maybe it's because they're such monsters in the novel. I wish that the musical hadn't reduced them to comic relief.

• THE GREAT COMET Reviews  Mar 28 2017, 06:15:03 PM

Thanks for the responses! The "old man" lyrics not referring to his actual age makes a lot of sense and I did think that at first, but then the reviews confused me.  

• AMÉLIE Previews  Mar 28 2017, 06:11:32 PM

I saw the show in LA and I can't even remember the scene for "Times are Hard for Dreamers."  Probably not a good sign.  

Like I've said elsewhere, I was probably the ideal audience for this: I adore the movie and have it seen a million times, and I tend to love low-key scores that others find boring and repetitive.  So i was really disappointed by how underwhelmed I was.

• THE GREAT COMET Reviews  Mar 27 2017, 08:17:38 PM

Can I ask a question about this show?  So, based on the lyrics and reviews that I've read, it sounds like Pierre is supposed to be middle-aged.  I haven't seen the show myself, but I asked a friend who saw it and he agreed that Pierre is depicted as middle-aged.  Having read some of War and Peace, I recall that Pierre was in his 20s in the novel.  Any idea what age he's supposed to be in the stage show and, if I'm right, why they chose to make him older? &n

• Beauty and the Beast  Mar 11 2017, 08:44:42 AM

I don't even get why they needed a name for Belle.  The movie sells itself. Plus, Lily James wasn't much of a  name,  was she?

• Beauty and the Beast  Mar 10 2017, 08:48:36 PM

Emma"s singing ruins it for me.  And I hate that they lowered Belle's part. Why did they do that?

• Amelie video  Feb 14 2017, 06:09:58 PM

As someone who saw the show in LA, the score is indeed pretty but that's all it is.  The songs all run together except for maybe one.

• Cabaret Tour  Feb 3 2017, 06:07:23 PM

I saw it really recently and thought it was absolutely fantastic.  Keep in mind that I've never seen any other production of it, though.

• The NAACP pressuring a school to censor ragtime  Jan 25 2017, 06:50:49 PM

Thanks for the clarification!  For some reason I thought that they shot her (even though I've seen the revival on Broadway and heard that line in "Til We Reach That Day" a million times.  Ah well).

• The NAACP pressuring a school to censor ragtime  Jan 24 2017, 05:43:31 PM

Gaveston: Wait, Ragtime has a rape scene?  When is it?  I honestly don't remember.  I know that Sarah gets shot when she tries to talk to the vice president.

• Beauty and the Beast  Jan 20 2017, 06:22:18 PM

I wish that they had cast Alison Brie in the role.  She looks exactly like Belle in real life and she can sing pretty well.

• Songs for three people of different ages  Jan 20 2017, 06:19:51 PM

"The Picture Show" from Bonnie and Clyde, although it's two people instead of three (well, two for each character).

• Amelie at the Ahmanson  Dec 18 2016, 06:06:30 PM

I don't know if you've seen the movie, but they included the moment where Amelie tries to guess how many couples are having an orgasm (and like the movie, it shows them, although it's just the noises and it's not graphic).  I just wanted to include that information if you're deciding on whether or not it's age appropriate.  I know that moment in the film made me very uncomfortable when I was watching it with my mom, haha.

• Amelie at the Ahmanson  Dec 12 2016, 10:29:45 AM

As someone who never saw the movie, I also could have used more characterization.  I love the idea of an earlier duet from Amelie and Nino.  For Amelie, there is some history, but it is not clear enough why she fears connections.  As for Nino, he is a total cypher.  I still don't understand what his photo album represented.  A little introspection would help significantly.

In the film, they go a bit into Nino's childhood and why he and Amelie are kindred spirits.  Also, IMO it