Profile for SporkGoddess

Edit Your Profile |

BroadwayWorld SporkGoddess
Click to Enlarge
Member Name: SporkGoddess
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Birthday: 8 - 4
AOL IM: PM if you want to know :D
Profile: I'm an absolute musical and opera nut.

Favorite Show(s): Coco
Evita
Floyd Collins
Jesus Christ Superstar
Miss Saigon
My Life With Albertine
Parade
Passion
Ragtime
She Loves Me
Side Show
Sweeney Todd
The Light in the Piazza
The Scarlet Pimpernel
West Side Story

Favorite Performer(s): Carl Anderson
Carolee Carmello
Audra McDonald
Brian Stokes Mitchell
Kelli O'Hara
Lea Salonga
Anthony Warlow
Colm Wilkinson

Currently Listening To: You name it!

Most Recent Message Board Posts:
  • Amelie at the Ahmanson  Dec 18 2016, 06:06:30 PM

I don't know if you've seen the movie, but they included the moment where Amelie tries to guess how many couples are having an orgasm (and like the movie, it shows them, although it's just the noises and it's not graphic).  I just wanted to include that information if you're deciding on whether or not it's age appropriate.  I know that moment in the film made me very uncomfortable when I was watching it with my mom, haha.

• Amelie at the Ahmanson  Dec 12 2016, 10:29:45 AM

As someone who never saw the movie, I also could have used more characterization.  I love the idea of an earlier duet from Amelie and Nino.  For Amelie, there is some history, but it is not clear enough why she fears connections.  As for Nino, he is a total cypher.  I still don't understand what his photo album represented.  A little introspection would help significantly.

In the film, they go a bit into Nino's childhood and why he and Amelie are kindred spirits.  Also, IMO it

• Thoughts on Passion?  Dec 12 2016, 10:25:01 AM

I don't really like watching it per se, but I love the score.  

• Amelie at the Ahmanson  Dec 11 2016, 07:46:20 PM

The guy playing Nino was a huge weak link in the cast. His singing left much to be desired -- there were numerous chorus men who would have made a better Nino

I liked his singing, but I thought his characterization of Nino seemed too... normal and not weird enough.  He didn't seem as good of a fit for Amelie as in the film, IMO, because of it.  I think that's why I was wondering why he'd put up with her behavior. It might have also seemed that way because the show's

• What Went Wrong with the PHANTOM OF THE OPERA Film Adaptation?  Dec 11 2016, 05:16:39 PM

- Emmy Rossum just didn't have the voice.  I don't know if it was acting, direction, or both, but her Christine also had even less personality than usual.  I also didn't like how they cast her so young.

- A lot of the changes to the storyline made no sense (such as changing the year, which would have coincided with the Franco-Prussian War, or having Carlotta be unpopular with the audience--like, why would they keep her if the audience hated her?)

- Ger

• Amelie at the Ahmanson  Dec 11 2016, 12:06:06 PM

I saw it last night and wanted to share my thoughts.  First off, I found it a very enjoyable night of theatre.  It's a whimsical, adorable, and sometimes magical show.  I thought Phillipa Soo lit up the stage when she was on it.  However, the original film is one of my favorite movies ever--I've seen it a million times, so I know it really well. I thought that the storyline and characters suffered a bit by removing certain scenes and story arcs.  It was only a

• Phillipa Soo to Lead AMELIE on Broadway  Dec 5 2016, 10:23:16 AM

I'm seeing it this upcoming weekend.  Super excited!

• Phillipa Soo to Lead AMELIE on Broadway  Dec 5 2016, 10:23:16 AM

I'm seeing it this upcoming weekend.  Super excited!

• Last I Heard...  Nov 20 2016, 02:01:42 PM

Can you really say that Pence was there as a "private citizen" if he only got tickets because of his position?

• Mike Pence Gets  Nov 19 2016, 01:05:04 PM

Yup, ask Indiana.  People there hate him so much that they were cheering when he was nominated as VP (because he'd be leaving).

• Mike Pence Gets  Nov 19 2016, 12:54:40 PM

Apparently Trump has become pro-safe spaces all of a sudden.

• Mike Pence Gets  Nov 19 2016, 12:39:23 PM

I actually think that they went too easy on him.  Although it's probably good that they took the high road.

(You may be confused by this post because back when I posted on here a lot, I was a Republican. I'm not anymore).

• Lyric changes in MISS SAIGON  Oct 2 2016, 03:40:23 PM

Yeah, I like a few of the new ones better.  Not most of them, though.

• MISS SAIGON IN THE CINEMA  Sep 24 2016, 09:18:18 PM

I liked Maybe. It made me feel more sympathetic to Ellen. She came across as less selfish and a "nicer" person than the other Ellen's I've seen . The song implies that she's considering the possibility  that maybe Chris married her out of confusion and depression and Kim is his real true love. Maybe. It added depth and shading to her character. 

It's not organic to the character, though, IMO.  Ellen doesn't seem like the type o

• MISS SAIGON IN THE CINEMA  Sep 23 2016, 03:07:02 PM

Yeah, I disliked about 90% of the lyric changes. Some were better but most of them weren't. 

• MISS SAIGON IN THE CINEMA  Sep 23 2016, 02:07:49 PM
    Wasn't Jon Jon Briones also in the ensemble?

In the tour I saw years ago (2004-ish?) Ellen takes Tam's hand at the end.

Edited to add back my previous comment because Lizzie is too quick for me
  • Vocal Dubbing in the Film Version of INTO THE WOODS  Sep 23 2016, 10:28:09 AM

Has anyone compared how she sounds in ITW to how she sounds in Ricki and the Flash?  She sings a lot in that movie.

• MISS SAIGON IN THE CINEMA  Sep 23 2016, 10:21:40 AM

It was absolutely amazing!  It looked and sounded fantastic. The production is a lot grittier than what I'm used to, so I think the show hit me even harder than usual (and that's saying a lot).  I also wasn't a huge fan of some of the lyric changes.  This was my first time really experiencing "Maybe" in context and I'm sorry to say that I don't like it.  I just don't think it seems like an organic response and what Ellen would really be fe

• Just listened to  Sep 22 2016, 07:22:36 PM

I felt the same way when I saw the tour.  I loved the score and wasn't sure how I'd feel about the actual stage production (especially since I hate the movie), but it was amazing.  I'm so glad that I saw it.

• MISS SAIGON IN THE CINEMA  Sep 22 2016, 03:52:32 PM

I'm going tonight!  So excited. I saw the non-equity US tour twice (with Jon Jon Briones as the Engineer), but that's it.