Profile for somethingwicked

Edit Your Profile |

BroadwayWorld somethingwicked
Click to Enlarge
Member Name: somethingwicked
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Birthday: 2 - 14
Favorite Show(s): A Little Night Music
Bernarda Alba
Caroline, or Change
Company
Dreamgirls
Gypsy
Marie Christine
Merrily We Roll Along
Ragtime
See What I Wanna See
Strike Up the Band
The Light in the Piazza

Favorite Performer(s): Victoria Clark
Hunter Foster
Laura Michelle Kelly
Lauren Kennedy
Norm Lewis
Audra McDonald
Tonya Pinkins
Michael Rupert
Mary Testa
Barbara Walsh
Lillias White

Currently Listening To: A... My Name Will Always Be Alice

Most Recent Message Board Posts:
  • Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY  Apr 22 2016, 10:52:24 AM

Given what they're paying Midler and her additional profit participation, there's no way she's doing 5 shows a week. It's a financial model that would be completely implausible.

• Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY  Apr 21 2016, 07:58:54 PM

Phillipa Soo reportedly turned down the chance to do COMET on Broadway; I have a feeling we're going to lose her soon to the world of television.

She did not turn down COMET on Broadway. She wasn't asked to take part in the transfer.

• Marissa Jaret Winokur back on Broadway?  Apr 8 2016, 10:23:41 PM

Jack O'Brien, Marc Shaiman, and Scott Wittman are all involved with CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY.

Considering their history with Winokur and HAIRSPRAY, I wonder if she could be playing one of the mothers in that show.

• Audra's replacement in Shuffle Along  Apr 8 2016, 03:39:10 PM

Uzo Aduba is ten years too young for the role and the counter opposite of what it requires vocally. She'll also be back shooting ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK by this time.

Similarly, Vanessa Williams is unavailable as she'll be shooting a new television series for VH1 in Atlanta all summer.

To me, Anika Noni Rose remains the optimal candidate.

• Shuffle Along previews  Apr 5 2016, 04:15:23 PM

What I found most moving about the show was watching such prominent African-American artists pay tribute to the pioneers who kicked down the doors for them only to essentially be erased from history. I think that active engagement with history is at the very heart of what George Wolfe's trying to explore.

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

When the fu

• Shuffle Along previews  Apr 5 2016, 01:47:03 AM

I would rather those "contextualizations" come from another African-American critic rather than from a gay white man, especially since he is being played as a bitchy gay white man.

The politics and aesthetics at that late point in the show are too muddled to make sense.

With all due respect, would you like George Wolfe to rewrite history to make you more comfortable? Because, while your point about how Van Vechten is portrayed is fair game, th

• Shuffle Along previews  Apr 4 2016, 12:24:05 PM

Brooks is absolutely wonderful in the first act. Toward the end of the second act, when he portrays the white gay critic Carl Van Vechten, who complained that Shuffle Along's blackface perpetuated minstrel stereotypes, his presence becomes eminently cuttable.

I would argue that the Van Vechten number is one of (if not THE) most important things in the entire show.

It contextualizes why the accomplishments of the original production of SHUFFLE ALONG were all but eras

• Shuffle Along previews  Apr 3 2016, 12:34:17 PM

RogerMoore, Tonya isn't right for the role.

Replacing Audra is going to be near impossible as the part has so specifically been tailored to her. At the very least they're going to have to be flexible in lowering the keys of some of the more coloratura parts of the score. I can't even imagine the women covering Audra could sing that stuff the way she does.

Assuming changes to the score are in fact made, Anika Noni Rose was the only person I could think of in s

• ROMY & MICHELLE....a musical?  Mar 30 2016, 03:40:58 PM

I'm all for the movie being adapted as a musical, but... the two girls they've cast as Romy and Michelle are in their early 20s (and look even younger.)

Considering the entire plot revolves around a ten year high school reunion and the anxiety the two leads feel about what they haven't accomplished in the past decade, it's a baffling choice.

• Rory O'Malley - King George!!  Mar 28 2016, 11:50:18 AM

It does make me wonder.... I really expected Andrew Rannells to come back.  

Andrew Rannells is not available to come back. He starts filming the final season of GIRLS within the next month or two.

• Shuffle Along Matinee this Saturday?  Mar 25 2016, 04:52:45 PM

Lizzie, she actually has a standby and an understudy.

Her standby is Darlesia Cearcy and her understudy is Amber Iman.

• Perfect World Recast: Jennifer Hudson in The Color Purple?  Mar 24 2016, 05:28:07 PM

Valentina3, I'm not sure where you're basing your claim that Taraji "can't sing to save her life" from but it's wildly off base. She had a musical theater background before she hit it big in film and she's shown singing chops on several songs since, including on "It's Hard Out Here For a Pimp" (which she sang live at the Oscars.)

And if you think she's incapable of playing vulnerable, you clearly didn't see her Oscar-nominated wor

• Perfect World Recast: Jennifer Hudson in The Color Purple?  Mar 24 2016, 02:38:52 PM

If Taraji P. Henson wasn't doing a movie on her EMPIRE hiatus she would be absolutely ideal casting.

• Shuffle Along previews  Mar 24 2016, 08:57:10 AM

Do we think Audra's understudy is going on tomorrow, given her comment about hoping to return to the show soon?

• The Honeymooners Musical:  Mar 23 2016, 04:03:22 PM
    gypsy101, who is "they"? No one has ever seen the show.
  • Freaky Friday to Have Its World Premiere in DC this Fall  Mar 19 2016, 07:19:24 PM
    Cupid Boy2, the Cleveland Playhouse production will also be directed by Christopher Ashley, which leads me to believe it will be the same production that will play Signature in DC.

Ana Gasteyer has played the mother in all the workshops, as far as I know, but she recently got a TV series that will make her unavailable to participate in the full production.
  • Actor Shawn Elliott has Passed Away  Mar 17 2016, 05:46:10 PM

Beyond this not appearing anywhere else, the BWW article reporting it has also been deleted.

Is this a second Shawn Elliott death hoax?

• Leslie Kritzer Is A National Treasure  Mar 17 2016, 02:52:32 PM

As incredible a comedienne as Kritzer is, what impresses me most is how equally adept she is in dramatic roles. She was stunning in THE MEMORY SHOW Off-Broadway a few years ago and equally as good in A CATERED AFFAIR.

The fact that she's able to modulate between such divergent tones in her work is really a testament to her talent.

• Shakespeare in the Park 2015 Rumors  Jan 26 2016, 10:03:43 PM

Dan Sullivan directing Lily Rabe and Hamish Linklater in THE TAMING OF THE SHREW seems inevitable.

• Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY  Jan 19 2016, 09:55:32 PM

Here's hoping this production is racially diverse.

Outside of Brian Stokes Mitchell, the casting suggestions in this thread are blindingly white.

BROADWAYWORLD TV

COUNTDOWN CLOCK