BroadwayWorld.com
Profile for somethingwicked
Edit Your Profile |

Click to Enlarge
Member Name: somethingwicked
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Birthday: 2 - 14
Favorite Show(s): A Little Night Music
Bernarda Alba
Caroline, or Change
Company
Dreamgirls
Gypsy
Marie Christine
Merrily We Roll Along
Ragtime
See What I Wanna See
Strike Up the Band
The Light in the Piazza

Favorite Performer(s): Victoria Clark
Hunter Foster
Laura Michelle Kelly
Lauren Kennedy
Norm Lewis
Audra McDonald
Tonya Pinkins
Michael Rupert
Mary Testa
Barbara Walsh
Lillias White

Currently Listening To: A... My Name Will Always Be Alice

Most Recent Message Board Posts:
  • Andre De Shields, Haven Burton, Lillias White & More Will Lead Broadway-Bound Musical GOTTA DANCE in Chicago  Jun 29 2015, 11:48:23 PM

adamgreer, I think Haven is technically filling in for Jeanna de Waal again. When Haven leaves to do GOTTA DANCE in Chicago, Jeanna will just be coming back from doing WAITRESS in Boston. I believe the plan is then for Jeanna to return to KINKY BOOTS until WAITRESS (inevitably) transfers to Broadway in the spring, probably around the same time GOTTA DANCE hopes to.

The timing worked out pretty ideally for everyone involved. If GOTTA DANCE doesn't come in right away, Haven could pre

• Andre De Shields, Haven Burton, Lillias White & More Will Lead Broadway-Bound Musical GOTTA DANCE in Chicago  Jun 29 2015, 10:49:29 PM

This is one hell of a cast.

Between this and KINKY BOOTS, I'm thrilled to see Haven Burton getting the recognition she deserves. She's a comedic genius. And what can be bad about a vehicle for Lillias White? It's about time.

• Ciara Renee and Kimiko Glenn Depart City Center WILD PARTY  Jun 29 2015, 10:34:48 PM

Lest we forget that Steven Pasquale was the understudy for Burrs in the original production at MTC.

• Beaches opening June 24 at Drury Lane Chicago  Jun 28 2015, 11:41:05 PM

It should be noted that the stage version is closer to the book than the film because that's what the producers have the rights to. That's why the Barbara Hershey character is Hilary in the film but Bertie in the book/musical, etc.  Iris Rainer Dart, who wrote the original novel, is also the person who wrote the show's book.

• Hairspray @ The Muny  Jun 28 2015, 11:21:18 PM

Ryann Redmond is perfect casting on paper, but she appears to struggle with the stamina required of Tracy in the promo footage. I'm sure this staging of the show is particularly demanding considering how wide and deep the Muny stage is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qboKanU8j0

• Ciara Renee and Kimiko Glenn Depart City Center WILD PARTY  Jun 28 2015, 03:42:13 PM

Per the City Center website and new show marketing materials, Ciara Renee and Kimiko Glenn will no longer participate in the City Center production of THE WILD PARTY (presumably due to conflicts with their respective TV shows). Joaquina Kalukango replaces Renee as Kate and Talene Monahon replaces Glenn as Mae.

I'm not familiar with Monahon but Kalukango is a dynamite talent. I'm excited to see her get such a big break.

• Hedwig in London  Jun 27 2015, 07:40:59 PM

John said on the red carpet at the Tonys that they're looking for the right person to play Hedwig for the West End run. Considering he's prepping a film he'll direct in the fall, he's not really available to do it himself anyway.

• Dream Jane Krakowski Roles  Jun 21 2015, 06:28:09 PM

It's a true shame that Krakowski's chance to play Charity in Sweet Charity got away from her when she was primed to do it. There are so few shows that showcase a real triple threat and that's certainly one of them.

Beyond the aforementioned Dot in Sunday in the Park With George, Phyllis in Follies, and Desiree in A Little Night Music, I'd really love to see Krakowski as Rose in Gypsy. It's been done to death, lord knows, but I'd love to

• Anyone else disgusted by Broadway.com's whitewashing?  Jun 16 2015, 11:01:07 PM

I think annoyance at this "piece" is perfectly appropriate. The whole spirit of ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK is about representation for women of all types and ethnicities. To take something that celebrates diversity so prominently and use it as a means to highlight a bunch of white people is very sad. It shows just how narrow most people's mindsets are.

That being said, I wouldn't expect anything less from Broadway.com. This is the same site that proudly has a feature called "Broadway

• School of Rock, pre-Broadway showcases  Jun 13 2015, 10:43:30 PM
    The Distinctive Baritone, your logic is incorrect.

Sierra Boggess did the first reading of the show and the role was written with her in mind given her long association with Andrew Lloyd Webber. She was unable to do the lab because of IT SHOULDA BEEN YOU so Sara Chase stepped in, knowing when she signed on that Boggess would be doing the show on Broadway. Since Chase would be unavailable for the Broadway run anyway due to her TV series, it was a win-win for her.
  • Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?  Jun 12 2015, 01:29:22 AM

Sheridan Smith would be an inspired choice for Fanny. She may be gorgeous, but she's also incredibly unique looking. She could easily stand next to "traditionally" attractive girls and be looked at as unorthodox like Fanny would.

Most importantly, she has a totally singular comedic persona, which is the critical component required of the show. From Audrey in LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS to Elle in LEGALLY BLONDE, she's made a career in London of taking identifiable characters and complet

• Roles Kelli Can Win Another Tony For  Jun 10 2015, 12:02:05 PM
    henrikegerman, RAGS? In what world is blonde-haired, blue-eyed, fair-skinned Kelli "ideal" to play a Jewish immigrant named Rebecca Hershkowitz? She'd sound gorgeous on the score, but it would be absolutely inappropriate for her to ever actually play the role.
  • Roles Kelli Can Win Another Tony For  Jun 10 2015, 12:12:09 AM

Soaring29, I believe you can watch the Chatterbox through Seth Rudetsky's website (though it may require a subscription to his video service.)

It's a fascinating interview. She gets very emotional talking about what happened with Celia Keenan-Bolger and PIAZZA in more detail than I've ever heard her discuss it before. She admits she loved playing Franca so much that she never connected with Clara and to this day doesn't feel like she ever really understood her. She says she went ba

• Roles Kelli Can Win Another Tony For  Jun 9 2015, 11:40:20 PM

Kelli has spoken quite openly and honestly about how miscast she was when she played Dot in SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE. She's said she loves Jason Alexander for giving her the opportunity to do something she'd never otherwise be cast in, but she feels she "had no business doing it" and never felt like the role was a good fit for her, both during the production and since. I think the last time she talked about it was during her most recent Chatterbox with Seth Rudetsky.

I don't

• Danielle Brooks to Make Broadway Debut in THE COLOR PURPLE  May 27 2015, 09:51:03 PM

ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK typically films from July to January, but Brooks already said in the Variety piece announcing her casting today that the show will be working around her Broadway schedule so she can do both simultaneously.

Truly phenomenal casting.

• Crucible Revival for Early 2016?  May 22 2015, 04:37:16 PM

The casting notice specifically says they're open to all ethnicities for all roles (with the exception of Tituba.) Sophie Okonedo being cast as Elizabeth has clearly opened the door for what will be a color-blind production.

• Crucible Revival for Early 2016?  May 21 2015, 11:50:50 PM

Someone like Elizabeth Olsen comes to mind as both an ideal fit for Abigail and the caliber of star they're likely to have cast.

Sophie Okonedo was so stunning in A Raisin in the Sun. She's an excellent choice for Elizabeth.

• Jasper in Deadland at the 5th Avenue Theatre  May 16 2015, 01:04:01 AM

I saw the show in the Prospect Theater Company incarnation in New York and again this week in Seattle. The book and storytelling still need more fine tuning, but the score continues to pack one hell of a punch. I was skeptical how such an intimate story would translate to such a huge theater, but I was very impressed with the way the creative team reconceived the design elements of the show to suit such a large scale physical production.

That said, I think the most magical part of

• THE KING & I Reviews  Apr 17 2015, 12:06:23 PM

There's a difference between "not a good review" and the extreme of a "pan," which is what you said initially. When I said Brantley fetishized blonde leading ladies, I didn't mean he "gushes over blonde leading ladies no matter what." What I meant was that he has his favorites and always finds ways to hype them in any given circumstance, which the Chenoweth review proves. Even when he's critiquing her performance, he's still contextualizing it with excessive praise and placing the blame on he

• THE KING & I Reviews  Apr 17 2015, 10:58:51 AM

Tell that to Kristin Chenoweth, who may have gotten a good review this time around but got PANNED for Promises, Promises.

Have you read the review you're referencing? It's about as qualified a criticism as is possible. Brantley went as far as to admit his love for Chenoweth and blame her failure in the role on everything from her being too talented to poor costuming.

"As for Ms. Chenoweth, dearly though I love her, this hyper-talented star was not meant to play

BROADWAYWORLD TV