Profile for EricMontreal22

Edit Your Profile |

BroadwayWorld EricMontreal22
Click to Enlarge
Member Name: EricMontreal22
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Birthday: 3 - 14
Favorite Show(s):

Favorite Performer(s):

Most Recent Message Board Posts:
  • In praise of THE FANTASTICKS OC recording  Aug 27 2016, 08:44:15 PM

After Eight said: ""Any other fans?"

You can count me among them.

"

I would never expect to agree with A8 but absolutely. 

• Documentary about Merrily We Roll Along  Aug 24 2016, 05:46:52 PM

Ann Morrison has confirmed that Netflix has bought it.  I hope we don't have to wait too long for it to do endless film fests beforehand :P

• Documentary about Merrily We Roll Along  Aug 24 2016, 02:02:05 PM

Lol yes that link was from when this was first announced. 

• Documentary about Merrily We Roll Along  Aug 24 2016, 12:31:05 PM

Yeah, I had forgotten all about this but am very excited. Also, the rumour on fb is that Netflix has bought it. 

• Plays/musicals due for a revival  Aug 24 2016, 12:27:55 PM

Oh Carlos, I am with you on Promises, Promises. 

Mis it too soon for a Fifth of July revival?  I know there was that Lanford Wilson revival series ten or maybe fifteen years back, but...

• Barbra's Tour  Aug 24 2016, 03:41:29 AM

ArtMan said: "MichelleCraig said: "Barbra never sang a nearly 12 minute version of Enough is Enough. Her performance was remixed and augmented with repeats and beats to get it to that length for the clubs.

Of course she didn't!  As a former club dj for too many years, I know what a remix is. I was referring and JOKING about  the actual length of the FULL OFFICIAL version of the song when it was played in clu

• More info on the new Sondheim and David Ives musical  Aug 24 2016, 12:39:23 AM

I am intrigued if they will combine the characters. 

• Plays/musicals due for a revival  Aug 23 2016, 11:50:23 PM

While maybe not a perfect production, the Chicago revival of Sweet Bird of Youth with Diane Lane and Finn Whitrock had a lot of very strong stuff in it, I'm sorry it didn't move to Broadway.

• What are Your Definitive Productions?  Aug 23 2016, 08:29:36 PM

Yeah--this is such a subjective thing...

If we aren't counting productions you've seen on video but only live ones, I can't imagine ever seeing live a better Show Boat then the Hal Prince production I saw (Canadian cast in Vancouver), Galati's Ragtime (LA/Vancouver cast with LaChanze), Prince's Kiss of the Spider Woman (on tour with Chita)...  For that matter the Canadian company of Sunset Blvd with Carroll and Smith even if that's never gonna be one of

• Greatest Cast Recording(s) Ever?  Aug 22 2016, 04:31:17 PM

gypsy101 said: "Probably the best recording ever made (in my opinion) is the original Gypsy. It really never gets old.

"

WHat do you think of the original compared to the reissue that's been used from the late 90s on?  Sheperd talks in the liner notes about using different takes, etc, when he remastered it but has since--at least on facebook--said that maybe he shouldn't have meddled with perhaps the classic cast album from his mento

• Best Book Writers?  Aug 20 2016, 09:05:43 PM

¿Macavity? said: "EricMontreal22 said: "Hugh Wheeler for sure (also a strong screenplay writer even his uncredited stuff like helping Cabaret).  

"

He was credited for Cabaret. I remember being (pleasantly) surprised a couple months ago when re-watching Cabaret and noticing his name in the credits.

"

Obviously I am in need of a re-watch (I bought the BluRay last Summ

• Schönberg/ Boublil oeuvre  Aug 20 2016, 03:11:40 PM

Marguerite is Michel Legrand and (ugh) Kretzmer. I can't remember the specifics--Boubil either did the original French lyrics and story it just story. At any rate their names were used to advertise it which, as a huge Legrand fan is kinda sad to me. Isn't he at least somewhat known to the English?  

shoenberg's Wuthering Heights ballet is beautiful

• re: Is Miss Saigon Racist?  Aug 20 2016, 02:37:34 AM

gymman said: "I think your point about trivializing is crucial here--for me, that's what leads to the concept of racism in the piece (and let's face it, in the source material as well.)"

Much more in the source material.  No one involved in Madama Butterfly had any interest in Japanese culture (aside from the "Oriental" popularity of the time)

Shoenberg/Boubil (And Maltby Jr, who never gets his due for the show--this wasn't a case of

• re: Is Miss Saigon Racist?  Aug 20 2016, 01:47:30 AM

Anecdotally, I have two close female friends who both moved here from Asia (Thailand and Japan) in their late teens and who both worship Miss Saigon.  They like it more than me--and are not big musical fans otherwise.  Would I, as a white guy, tell them that they were just supporting a racist view and should be ashamed?

Playing Devil's advocate, Pacific Overtures, a musical I adore, is a show written by a group of white American men-only one (Weidman) having any previ

• Sweet Charity - New Group, tix on sale.  Aug 19 2016, 03:43:23 PM

Lol wow. 

Never heard about the drowning one. Did people actually let that be performed in front of an audience??  Lol

• Sweet Charity - New Group, tix on sale.  Aug 19 2016, 02:49:36 PM

darquegk said: "In which production did the cop pull Charity out at the end? I've never seen or heard that ending before.

"

Including the original previews--how many endings have their been??  

I kinda like the idea of her falling for a rescuer at the end...  Yeah, it shows Charity hasn't learned much but that's kinda true anyway. 

• Best book writers?  Aug 19 2016, 02:03:59 PM

Hugh Wheeler for sure (also a strong screenplay writer even his uncredited stuff like helping Cabaret).  Was also gonna mention Lapine who is vastly underrated (honestly I think all of Sondheim's collaborators have been good to great, but of course are in his shadow and in some cases definitely did better work with him than anywhere else.).   And Hell, I'll add Ashman and Hammersmith (who doesn't get the credit due for virtually inventing the modern musical theatre libre

• Sweet Charity - New Group, tix on sale.  Aug 19 2016, 12:58:08 PM

BrodyFosse123 said: "

As a diehard fan of Bob Fosse's work (and SWEET CHARITY), words can't express how excited I am to see a new interpretation.  I'm always excited when artists reinterpret and adapt work.  I also embraced Wayne Cilento's choreographic work in the 2005 Broadway revival.  I know all of Bob Fosse's choreography inside out so its so refreshing when someone rethinks things - even though he deliciously peppe

• Miss Saigon Revival Will Land at Its Original Broadway Home  Aug 19 2016, 12:51:59 PM

Justin, when I saw it in London, we did the backstage tour that same afternoon the the Tgeatre Royal offered (this was 1999--not sure if they still offer it). Keep in mind that the theatre is massive (wiki says the house seats 2100). 

Most of the tour was of the vast, ancient underground hydraulic system, etc, but we did briefly get to go stage level, and I remember it being packed (that statue alone) but all very carefully organized. But again, the theatre was created for massive

• What are the worst musicals you ever saw  Aug 19 2016, 12:35:50 PM

newintown said: "

Ring of Fire
    The Times They Are A Changin'
    Lennon
    Lestat
    Summer of 42
    Jane  Capeman
    High Fidelilty
    February House
    Bright Star
    Rocky, the Musical
    Leap of Faith
    Ghost, the Musical
    Bonnie and Clyde
    The People In The Picture
    Wonderland

"

Wow, was surprised to see February House, which on cd anyway I find charming, on that l

BROADWAYWORLD TV