Profile for EricMontreal22

Edit Your Profile |

BroadwayWorld EricMontreal22
Click to Enlarge
Member Name: EricMontreal22
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Birthday: 3 - 14
Favorite Show(s):

Favorite Performer(s):

Most Recent Message Board Posts:
  • Phantom: Broadway vs US Tour  Sep 12 2016, 07:50:07 PM

While I do actually like a lot of ALW's score, what makes Phantom work so well is that nearly perfect original Hal Prince/Maria Bjornson production.  Frankly, I wouldn't bother with the tour.

• MOULIN ROUGE will be finally be a stage musical  Sep 1 2016, 05:26:28 PM

What seems ages ago, Baz spoke about wanting to adapt this to the stage himself.  I can only assume he's washed his hands of it because he found no way to make it work on stage...

• MOULIN ROUGE will be finally be a stage musical  Sep 1 2016, 04:13:47 PM

I love the film, but as others have said, the actual plot is like an even less fleshed out La Traviata and a HUGE part of the appeal is the design, seeing those actors, and the way it's filmed (like Baz's technique or not, I think that can't be denied).  It's such style over substance that it becomes style as substance--I admit I find it moving in the end.  But NONE of that will carry over to the stage.  Maybe they can find some sort of stage equivalent/re-imagi

• My Fair Lady Sydney previews  Sep 1 2016, 05:18:38 AM

Galati is no slouch and I suspect directed most of it with Andrews offering input for the recreation. I am a sucker for recreations and that set is gorgeous to me--I wish they'd show one of the famous scene changes--in the Wouldn't it be Loverly clip you can clearly see it uses the two revolves. Though I wonder how much bigger the stage must be. 

• My Fair Lady Sydney previews  Sep 1 2016, 05:11:53 AM

I assume the high price is due to it being opera prices??  That's common in N America and England when opera companies do Broadway shows 

• Barbra's ENCORE  Aug 31 2016, 08:59:09 PM

Pm me and I'll try to help you out

• What show are you surprised hasn't had a Broadway revival?  Aug 31 2016, 01:39:32 PM

Huss417 said: "I actually saw The Knife. I remember picking up my tickets at the box office and asking the guy if it was as bad as I heard. He said  "Deplorable, Enjoy your Evening" :)

"

And what did you think? Lol some of the reviews are actually not completely terrible lol (though I knew of the show, I actually didn't realize till now that it was by David Hare). Question about touring productions  Aug 31 2016, 12:53:14 PM

I somehow was not aware of this for years, until I saw the equity tour of the Chorus Line revival in Van where the orchestra sounded great, but of course as is usual with the show, is hidden with a scrim over the pit. So I was shocked to see four orchestra members listed in the program and not more until a friend who worked at the theatre explained. (It was a ten day or so stop over.)

• What show are you surprised hasn't had a Broadway revival?  Aug 31 2016, 12:38:58 PM

newintown said: "I think that every flop play and musical with a transsexual character ought to be revived, because that alone would definitely make it a hit today.

"

Yes, next year for its thirtieth anniversary, Mandy Patinkin should do a revival of his role in the clearly groundbreaking David Hare musical, The Knife. 

• ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway  Aug 30 2016, 07:56:13 PM

Esther said: "EricMontreal22 said: "This is a great show but it closed at a loss originally when it moved from off to on Broadway where critics felt it got lost in the larger theatre and it never caught on with audiences. Similarly it failed in the West End despite them building a mini village for the theatre. I suppose with a big name attached it could build an audience (but Davenport doesn't really use big names does he?). 

I could see it playing really

• Barbra's ENCORE  Aug 30 2016, 07:30:18 PM

lovebwy said: "The Broadway Album is wonderful and was an excellent primer for 12 year old me on Stephen Sondheim.

Back to Broadway and Encore do not measure up. Whoever produced Broadway Album was far superior, IMO.

"

As far as producers--Back to Broadway was mostly the work of David Foster who was ubiquitous of course for adult contemporary pop when it came out.  He did produce one track on the Broadway Album--

• Barbra's ENCORE  Aug 30 2016, 07:21:30 PM

Peter2 said: "For me, the essential Streisand albums are those from the 1960s and 70s. After that, she's just too careful and over-produced for my taste (even the famous Broadway Album). I have to say, I understand people's being bothered by the dialogue on the new album, but I welcome the return of a looser, less uptight Streisand for whom not everything has to be a Perfect Masterpiece for the Ages. It's one of her most enjoyable albums in years."

As

• ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway  Aug 30 2016, 02:57:17 PM

This is a great show but it closed at a loss originally when it moved from off to on Briadway where critics felt it got lost in the larger theatre and it never caught on with audiences. Similarly it failed in the West End despite them building a mini village for the theatre. I suppose with a big name attached it could build an audience (but Davenport doesn't really use big names does he?). 

I could see it playing really well in a round, but bromate staging at Curcle in the Squ

• In praise of THE FANTASTICKS OC recording  Aug 27 2016, 08:44:15 PM

After Eight said: ""Any other fans?"

You can count me among them.

"

I would never expect to agree with A8 but absolutely. 

• Documentary about Merrily We Roll Along  Aug 24 2016, 05:46:52 PM

Ann Morrison has confirmed that Netflix has bought it.  I hope we don't have to wait too long for it to do endless film fests beforehand :P

• Documentary about Merrily We Roll Along  Aug 24 2016, 02:02:05 PM

Lol yes that link was from when this was first announced. 

• Documentary about Merrily We Roll Along  Aug 24 2016, 12:31:05 PM

Yeah, I had forgotten all about this but am very excited. Also, the rumour on fb is that Netflix has bought it. 

• Plays/musicals due for a revival  Aug 24 2016, 12:27:55 PM

Oh Carlos, I am with you on Promises, Promises. 

Mis it too soon for a Fifth of July revival?  I know there was that Lanford Wilson revival series ten or maybe fifteen years back, but...

• Barbra's Tour  Aug 24 2016, 03:41:29 AM

ArtMan said: "MichelleCraig said: "Barbra never sang a nearly 12 minute version of Enough is Enough. Her performance was remixed and augmented with repeats and beats to get it to that length for the clubs.

Of course she didn't!  As a former club dj for too many years, I know what a remix is. I was referring and JOKING about  the actual length of the FULL OFFICIAL version of the song when it was played in clu

• More info on the new Sondheim and David Ives musical  Aug 24 2016, 12:39:23 AM

I am intrigued if they will combine the characters. 

BROADWAYWORLD TV

Backstage with Richard Ridge
Back to Falsettoland w/ OBC - Passing the Torch
Backstage Bite
TV Exclusive: BACKSTAGE BITE with ALADDIN's Rodney Ingram!
Turning the Tables
Binge on TURNING THE TABLES!
  Chewing the Scenery with Randy Rainbow
TV:-LuPone's Autobio - Lands EVITA!
KID CRITICS
TV: KID CRITICS Swept Away at PHANTOM
BROADWAY SESSIONS
BROADWAY SESSIONS Goes 'Back to School' Tonight