Profile for Jay Lerner-Z

Edit Your Profile |

BroadwayWorld Jay Lerner-Z
Click to Enlarge
Member Name: Jay Lerner-Z
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Birthday: - - -
Profile: Hello

Favorite Show(s):

Favorite Performer(s):

Most Recent Message Board Posts:
  • Cher: The Musical  Jul 9 2017, 06:29:39 PM

^ Yeah, a Cher musical, but without her music. Makes total sense. A unique way to do a jukebox musical. I guess.

• Elmer Bernstein's two musicals  Jul 2 2017, 07:54:09 PM

Yeah, he's definitely one of my favorite film composers - I've been listening to the recent "essential collection" by the City Of Prague orchestra and loving it - so many classics. Hence my curiosity about his ventures into Broadway musicals. I don't expect them to necessarily be in the same league as his film scores, but they surely have some merit.

• Elmer Bernstein's two musicals  Jul 2 2017, 07:41:29 PM

How Now Dow Jones (1967) and Merlin (1983)...

What were they like? Any posters care to share their opinions/memories?

Thanks.

• Lin Manuel Miranda to Receive Star on Hollywood Walk of Fame...To Early?  Jun 23 2017, 03:55:51 PM

What we are talking about is their level of fame.

Their level of fame thirty years from now, you mean.

While Sondheim's work is known to many, even in New York, it's extremely difficult to find someone outside of the theatre scene who would have ever heard his name. 

So what? You seem to think that there is some sort of ranking system and that Lin "deserves" it more that Sondheim. The reality is that despite the name, fam

• Lin Manuel Miranda to Receive Star on Hollywood Walk of Fame...To Early?  Jun 23 2017, 03:08:38 PM

What planet are you people living on?

Just_John, what planet are you living on? Here on earth, nobody gives a sh!t about EGOTs or how many instagram tags Broadway composers have, and certainly don't read any significance into it .

In 30 years, Miranda is going to be an even bigger celebrity and most likely have the EGOT, while Sondheim will be gone 

It's great that you have the power of seeing into the future on your

• Jane Krakowski and Laura Benanti drama?  Jun 23 2017, 01:06:08 PM

I get the distinct feeling that Laura Benanti might not always be sweetness and light. 

Will that hold up in a court of law? Damning, indeed.

Benanti is probably jealous of Krakowskis wider tv fame.???????

Smoking gun! Or not.

• Lin Manuel Miranda to Receive Star on Hollywood Walk of Fame...To Early?  Jun 23 2017, 12:25:53 PM

----DOUBLE POST-----

• Lin Manuel Miranda to Receive Star on Hollywood Walk of Fame...To Early?  Jun 23 2017, 12:25:53 PM

I asked 10 random people waiting in line at Starbucks if they knew who Lin-Manuel Miranda was

Did you really do that? In any case, like others have pointed out, it's essentially just a promotional tool and it is unlikely he's paying the $40,000 out of his own pocket, so your vitriol is misplaced. I'm happy for him. He deserves it as much as anybody.

• Lin Manuel Miranda to Receive Star on Hollywood Walk of Fame...To Early?  Jun 23 2017, 12:17:00 PM

^ Yeah, like Julia Roberts, George Clooney, Dustin Hoffman, Robert De Niro, Clint Eastwood etc. - if it was actually based on fame (or merit) surely they would all have one.

Elizabeth Montgomery got one 18 years after she died. I wonder who paid for that?

• Lin Manuel Miranda to Receive Star on Hollywood Walk of Fame...To Early?  Jun 23 2017, 12:12:04 PM

They don't give them out for work on Broadway, so what is he getting it for? Moana?

I don't know why Lin is getting his, but they do in fact give them out for "live performance/theater". See Bernadette Peters.

In any case, the walk of fame is only around since 1960 and isn't really as prestigious as many se

• Worst Theatre Audience of my life  Feb 24 2017, 05:45:21 PM

The OP contains so many obviously inserted button-pushers, this can't be anything but some poor sucker desperate for responses. Fake!

• Should Actors Be Smoking At The Stagedoor ?  Feb 21 2017, 07:38:30 PM

She was wrong to ask the security guard to hold the cig. She should've blown a smoke ring in the photo.

• Should Actors Be Smoking At The Stagedoor ?  Feb 21 2017, 06:57:41 PM

No, she wasn't wrong. She shouldn't have to modify her behavior to accommodate autograph-seekers. 

• Can Bette's voice handle it?  Feb 20 2017, 05:38:50 PM

saying she would not have gone forward with this if she couldn't do it is about as meaningless as anything anyone could say:

I know this thread is a week old, but seeing as it was bumped...

For the record, seeing as my crystal ball is on the fritz, I thought this was the best answer available to the OP's question...."Can Bette's voice handle it?" - she obviously thinks the answer is "yes!", so that's about al

• Mel B breaks character in final Chicago performance  Feb 20 2017, 01:35:44 PM

^ Roxie Heart?

I guess this strikes me as annoying, but the staging of this show kinda allows for this king of thing, in moderation...I would have thought. It's been a while since I've seen it, but doesn't Mama Morton break character at the start of Act 2? I'm sure there were other instances when I was there, too...although this does seem a little much. She was probably made aware of the tradition and just got carried away, or maybe she genuinely didn't give a f

• Can Bette's voice handle it?  Feb 10 2017, 09:13:40 PM

Yes.

She undertook a rigorous tour only last year, and I believe she knows full well the enormity of the task she is now undertaking. If she didn't think she was fit, she wouldn't be doing it. Previous Dollys haven't always been the best singers, so I'm pretty confident the Divine Miss M can pull it off in style.

• Composers who aren't great musicians?  Feb 6 2017, 08:28:48 PM

Paul McCartney famously can't read or write music - which is not to say he's not a great musician.

• What happened to the Julie Andrews children's variety series for Netflix  Feb 1 2017, 04:17:39 PM

According to this tweet, it's starting today.

Then again, according to this one, it starts March 17.

• What happened to the Julie Andrews children's variety series for Netflix  Feb 1 2017, 04:15:26 PM

It is a show aimed at pre-schoolers, so the hype of Gilmore Girls is a bit much to expect. 

• The Beauty Queen Of Leenane returns!  Jan 23 2017, 09:54:38 PM

What kept Maureen back? To my knowledge, this is never explored.

Except it's the crux of the whole play! The psychological games and torment between the two women, Mag's fear of being left alone, undermining her confidence etc. That's my understanding, having only read the script, anyhow.