Profile for broadwaydevil

Edit Your Profile |

BroadwayWorld broadwaydevil
Click to Enlarge
Member Name: broadwaydevil
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Birthday: - - -
Favorite Show(s): A Chorus Line
Caroline, or Change
Company
Death of a Salesman
Follies
Hairspray
How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying
Into the Woods
Les Misérables
Once
Sweeney Todd
The Book of Mormon
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

Favorite Performer(s):

Most Recent Message Board Posts:
  • Heather Headley Vacation  Aug 20 2016, 07:31:50 PM

Thanks everyone for the help! I checked Telecharge and didn't see anything but got concerned since I had heard she was out, but it makes sense that they took it off since she's back.

• Heather Headley Vacation  Aug 20 2016, 11:40:11 AM

Does anyone know if Heather Headley is out this whole week/will be out of The Color Purple tomorrow? I was planning on rushing and would really love to see her.

• Gettting back to Philly After Hamilton  Aug 13 2016, 10:15:14 AM

I have done this several times when I lived in Philly. If you don't like late night driving I would absolutely take the Megabus or Bolt Bus. There are more options and it's always on time and never runs into traffic at that hour and drops you right off at 30th Street Station.

• No She Loves Me tour?  Jul 19 2016, 12:20:55 AM

It's nonprofit theater. The shows aren't brought to Broadway with the intention of commercializing and touring, like most commercial projections, Roundabout's Cabaret "return" not withstanding. Most shows Roundabout mounts would have little success on tour and with no commercial producers attached to their productions, no one wants to front the money unless there is a serious opportunity. 

• Elisabeth Vincentelli@ New York Times  Jul 19 2016, 12:01:26 AM

http://www.playbill.com/article/the-post-says-farewell-to-long-time-drama-critic

Looks like the Times scooped her up - not sure how regularly she'll be contributing but oof they didn't give her a high profile first assignment, did they? Also, it appears the Post may no longer have a regular theater critic on staff, unless I am missing on someone? If so, certainly sad news.

• Will Jessie Mueller still be in Waitress in November?  Jul 18 2016, 01:35:38 PM

Don't some contracts start when they begin the tryout?

Nope. Contracts are almost always (in fact, in my experience, always) renegotiated when a show transfers. It's possible if a show transfers with its cast directly that some actors may not want to commit the full standard 12 months, meaning the newly negotiated contracts could be shorter.

• 2013 GLASS MENAGERIE - Laura's entrance  Jul 12 2016, 12:37:46 AM

This thread is reminding me just how phenomenal this production was. Laura's entrance was fitting and artful, Cherry Jones and Zachary Quinto were excellent and that has to be one of my favorite sets. It feels like next season is far too soon for another revival, especially when the one done most recently is looked on so fondly by most who saw it.

• FOR  Jul 5 2016, 06:05:30 PM

Is the ticket still available?

• Jake Gyllenhaal in Sunday in the Park  May 25 2016, 12:24:45 PM

Just got a balcony seat. There are still seats left! So excited I snagged one.

• Study Spot around Theatre District or elsewhere  Apr 23 2016, 10:59:49 AM

I know you said doesn't have to be "library volume"...but why not go to the New York Public Library? The Rose Main Reading Room is a great place to study and noise won't be an issue at all. I have spent hours there.

• Is She Loves me open ended?  Mar 18 2016, 03:12:03 PM

Roundabout will just continue extending. They will not make it open-ended. The last big hit they had was Anything Goes several years back, and I suppose, the Cabaret re-revival. Both just kept getting extended. As a non-profit, it would be strange to announce an open-ended run. I also don't think their subscribers would be happy that one of the two Broadway houses they own is locked up with an open-ended run of a show.

• Best recording for familiarizing with Follies?  Mar 17 2016, 09:35:56 AM

I'll echo that. The 2011 revival recording captures almost the complete show. The quality is beautiful, the tracks are easily split so you can skip the dialogue if you'd prefer, and Jan Maxwell and Danny Burstein are devastatingly brilliant.

• Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/20/15  Dec 21 2015, 03:32:06 PM

Looks like the horrific reviews are finally catching up to China Doll. We also have to expect an Allegiance closing notice coming at some point soon. 

• School Of Rock Rush  Dec 20 2015, 11:45:28 PM

Agreed. It would seem if that's their strategy it would make more sense to offer rush and/or standing room (if sold out) 2 hours prior to curtain.

• FIDDLER ON THE ROOF Reviews  Dec 20 2015, 10:06:13 PM

Isherwood is reviewing for the Times (surprised Brantley didn't take it) and is very positive!

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/21/theater/review-a-fiddler-on-the-roof-revival-with-an-echo-of-modernity.html

"The superb new production, which opened on Sunday at the Broadway Theater, certainly honors the show’s ebullience of s

• CBS This Morning-Shuffle Along  Dec 20 2015, 08:32:18 PM

It seems the producers will push for a revival designation, presumably so they won't compete against Hamilton. We'll see if the Tony Committee agrees with them, or will repeat what they did with One Man, Two Guvnors, which tried the same tactic only to see if backfire when they were considered a New Play and left out of the nominations months later (may or may not have been related to some questionable tactics on the producer's part that upset a lot of people in the American

• FIDDLER ON THE ROOF Reviews  Dec 20 2015, 08:28:28 PM

The Hollywood Reporter is a rave!! 

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/fiddler-roof-theater-review-850349

"The duality of humor and horror is essential to Fiddler, and as in every other aspect, this superb production captures that balance with enormous soulfulness, its juxtaposition of oppression with spiritual resilience echoed in a final eruption

• TDF TICKETS  Dec 20 2015, 01:38:19 AM

A show releases a certain number of tickets to TDF, let's say 25. It guarantees there will be at least 25 seats to TDF so if the show were to sell all but 25 tickets for the performance, it would pull everything and then be sold out. This gives a show a lot of flexibility since assuming there are more than 25 available, it doesn't need to decide which 25 until a few hours before the performance when seats are actually assigned. It can then try to sell premium and expensive orchestra s

• "Hollywood accounting"  Dec 19 2015, 01:43:16 AM

"Curious about the effect it may have on recoupment announcements. It seems the stories of people never receiving payments from huge hit movies that somehow never make a profit due to "Hollywood accounting" are legion. If the tax doesn't come due until recoupment, might it be advantageous to delay that as long as possible?"

Yup, you're 100% right about that. It wouldn't shock me if we see more of that.

• Broadway to get tax breaks  Dec 18 2015, 02:34:59 PM

This is actually huge. I'm shocked this isn't a bigger deal here. This will provide a far greater incentive for investments in theatre since it severely limits the downside risk of investors who won't owe taxes on the income until the show makes its money back. It means investors will get their money back more quickly and will be more apt to invest in theatre.

The biggest benefit I see would really accrue to regional theatres and off-Broadway. Since Broadway'

BROADWAYWORLD TV

Backstage with Richard Ridge
Cast of FUN HOME's Broadway Memories
Backstage Bite
SCHOOL OF ROCK's Will Blum!
Turning the Tables
Binge on TURNING THE TABLES!
  Chewing the Scenery with Randy Rainbow
TV:-LuPone's Autobio - Lands EVITA!
KID CRITICS
Say Yeah to KINKY BOOTS!
BROADWAY SESSIONS