Profile for Justin D

Edit Your Profile |

BroadwayWorld Justin D
Click to Enlarge
Member Name: Justin D
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Blog Address:
Birthday: - - -
MySpace URL: http://www.myspace.com/justin_downey_barbados
MSN IM: bajanwhiteboy@hotmail.com
Yahoo IM: skimble1976@yahoo.com
Profile: Artist in Barbados, into set design.

Favorite Show(s): Aida
Cats
Chess
Miss Saigon
The Lion King
Wicked

Favorite Performer(s): Julia Murney
Drew Sarich

Most Recent Message Board Posts:
  • Cats Previews  Jul 26 2016, 12:23:46 PM

not sure if they are using it or not, but these days the synth technology has come a long way and alot of times you can't really tell when typically 'real' instruments are done on keyboards (horns and strings in particular)

• CATS revival scenic design vs Original Broadway Scenic design  Jul 26 2016, 12:20:28 PM

It was said in interviews by various people that Grizabella's exit was out onto the roof, like the roof roof outside of the theatre, so they had to build a walkway/tunnel for when it rained/snowed etc.

I am guessing the false ceiling is just so that you cant see the staircase when not in use, but I dont know either.

as for london, as on the dvd, the tire stays up (it might come down half way) but slides back to its usual position for addressing of cats, so the cats are in fr

• CATS revival scenic design vs Original Broadway Scenic design  Jul 25 2016, 04:14:08 PM

that video was so touching, esp the one with Laurie Beechman singing Memory, for anyone that has had a sickly pet that died it was very touching, esp. the applause when she gets onto that ramp. had me tearing up at work. and to make matters worse, knowing that she dies a year later in real life, such a talent she was

this was the seating chart when cats was there (with the onstage s

• CATS revival scenic design vs Original Broadway Scenic design  Jul 25 2016, 01:00:37 PM

Thanks for that video, I'm so glad they are using the London style wigs in the revival though. So not a fan of Deuteronomy's puffy wig

• Cats Previews  Jul 24 2016, 02:13:01 PM

original design with bloomers and bows in the 'ears'

version we are more familiar with (broadway)

updated design for Nicole, with corset and high boots, stra

• Cats Previews  Jul 24 2016, 01:57:11 PM

Grizabella has actually been redesigned, similar, but redesigned, will post pic soon

• CATS revival scenic design vs Original Broadway Scenic design  Jul 23 2016, 08:31:37 PM

I found this a few days ago online, I am guessing this was the Japan production, reminds me of the London one except for the clouds

• Cats Previews  Jul 23 2016, 08:24:48 PM

trpguyy said: "DottieD'Luscia said: "For or those of you who mentioned the missing cat eyes. They are certainly there during the prologue unless you're referring to something else. "

They weren't until a few days ago. 

"

Just to confirm, you are talking about the strap on cat eyes that the performers wear or the little light up ones that are scattered throughout the set?

• CATS revival scenic design vs Original Broadway Scenic design  Jul 23 2016, 08:22:54 PM

RippedMan said: "See, I think I might enjoy Cats with a little big of production value involved. I've only seen the tour and just didn't quite get the excitement of it. 

Did the seats rotate for the entire run? Was it always in that theater? Cool that they used an unconventional space. Too bad NYC doesn't have more spaces like that - given that the Tonys are only Broadway productions. Would be cool to see what they could do with the Armory or something.&nb

• CATS revival scenic design vs Original Broadway Scenic design  Jul 22 2016, 08:37:11 PM

yes thats the same pic i was talking about, thanks for sharing.

• Cats Previews  Jul 22 2016, 08:36:20 PM

Regarding some people's feelings about Leona not being cat like enough, I wonder how much of that has to do with this new Grizabella costume design, while Nicole is a different actress in a different production, I just watcher her performance in London on Youtobe and to me, she does not look like a cat (like everybody else) she just looks like a hooker. So maybe that is part of the reason

• CATS revival scenic design vs Original Broadway Scenic design  Jul 22 2016, 04:08:58 PM

ok, that last photo looking down, where you see colourful floor, that was a hard painted surface, from there inwards is what rotated, including the seats and stage, with the car trunk and tire (although now that i think about it i am not 100% sure the tire was included because of the mechanism that it travelled along once it went up into the air (from what I remember seeing under the stage) so the tire might have stayed put, all the side garbage stayed put as did the moon backdrop.

I j

• Cats Previews  Jul 22 2016, 01:51:11 PM

Thanks for the explanation, I think my issue was I was thinking that in the past the Rumpus Cat was played by the same person who plays Macavity therefore they needed more of a dancer than a singer for that part. But now that I think about it, there wasnt anything particularly 'dancy' that Rumpus had to do besides pop out of the star trap. Please tell me they changed the costume for Rumpus, that was my main issue with the design of the original.

deep down I hope the show will h

• CATS revival scenic design vs Original Broadway Scenic design  Jul 22 2016, 01:41:36 PM

there is a photo in that cats book i have of the broadway model, will have to scan it if i can

• Cats Previews  Jul 22 2016, 11:52:35 AM

Can someone familiar with the show and has seen this new one explain to me how they moved around the Rumpus cat bit into where Growltiger was?

What role does Gus now play in this scene, has he taken over doing what Munkistrap use to do?

How is this done in relation to his character? "I once played Growltiger, etc, etc, is it now I once saw a fight with some dogs? Surely Gus is not now playing the Rumpus cat? IS there still even a Rumpus Cat? and do they still have his

• CATS revival scenic design vs Original Broadway Scenic design  Jul 22 2016, 11:42:08 AM

photo AA032062.jpg
     photo AA032058.jpg

• CATS revival scenic design vs Original Broadway Scenic design  Jul 22 2016, 11:38:56 AM

photo AA032046.jpg

the 'door' on the backdrop is where Tugger makes his entrance

photo AA032054.jpg

• CATS revival scenic design vs Original Broadway Scenic design  Jul 22 2016, 11:34:23 AM

Here are some pics from the Original London run

photo AA032044.jpg

Grizabella's somewhat diminished ascent mechanism. When used as a traditional proscenium theatre, the proscenium goes roughly where that division of seats are in the balcony

• CATS revival scenic design vs Original Broadway Scenic design  Jul 22 2016, 09:19:37 AM

The London turntable was very odd indeed, and really didnt contribute to the show at all, was just a 'wow' factor back then and something to do in the overture. There is an interesting note in the programs that state that late comers will not be admitted when the auditorium is in motion, lol.

But basically the stage aswell as about the first 5 rows or so were on this turntable, so when you sat in the regular seats you were seeing the set from the back which was very off putting

• Cats Previews  Jul 16 2016, 09:09:20 PM

also, set wise, someone posted curtain call vid on instagram and you can see the new lights they use that are LED inside the bulbs so they can be any colour you want which looks cool in the vid

BROADWAYWORLD TV