Profile for mikey2573

Edit Your Profile |

Member Name: mikey2573
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Birthday: 2 - 5
Favorite Show(s):

Favorite Performer(s):

Most Recent Message Board Posts:
  • Musicals that miss the point of the movie they are based on  Mar 20 2017, 08:22:10 PM

Call_me_jorge said: "In my opinion, a Christmas story is the best adaption of a movie in a musical.

"

I would have to agree with that one.  The biggest problem I have with "A Christmas Story: The Musical" is that I can't watch the movie anymore because I want the songs (and the heart) from the musical. 

• The Adventures of Tom Sawyer musical  Mar 6 2017, 09:33:10 PM

I saw this production on Broadway.  I was taking my 8 year old son (who was a big Aaron Carter fan) to see SEUSSICAL with Aaron as Jojo (he was awful). I thought I had bought tickets to a matinee, but the show did not start until 7 PM.  So we went to the matinee of TOM SAWYER (I think it was closing that very weekend).  I had not heard good things about it and the fact that it had already posted its closing notice was not encouraging.  However, I loved every second of it (

• Matilda  Feb 23 2017, 02:19:21 AM

I always assumed that the laser/light show at the end of MATILDA was a nod to Andrew Roy Fletcher's classic musical "Zoo Animals on Wheels".   

"What's the one thing all zoo animals love when they're sad?"
    "A light show, with DISCO music!" 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUK6rY7X1Gs

• CAROUSEL Revival?  Feb 23 2017, 02:15:43 AM

I was not overly impressed with O'Brien's SOUND OF MUSIC tour and thought it paled particularly when compared to that show's last Broadway revival and its subsequent tour.  If he were to direct a CAROUSEL revival he'd better make sure it is at least on the same level as (if not better than) the Hytner production, which was simply ravishing in every possible way.   I agree with others who have suggested they just bring back the Hytner production for a revival; it is h

• THE GLASS MENAGERIE Previews (2017 Revival)  Feb 9 2017, 09:32:32 AM

I kept my fingers crossed that the John Tiffany Menagerie with Cherry Jones would get a worldwide cinema broadcast during its Edinburgh festival run; didn't happen.  Is that production now gone forever?  I thought I read that they were bringing it to the National Theatre where it has a more likely chance of a broadcast what with NT LIVE.

That version really was perfection and incredibly moving. 

• REVIEW: Cute but Uninspired FINDING NEVERLAND at Paramount  Jan 21 2017, 03:48:47 AM

As mediocre as this show was on Broadway (there's a reason it got zero Tony nominations) it was even worse at ART.  There were moments when myself and the person I was with looked at each other and mouthed "What the F*&%!"  The dog was played by an actor in a cheap looking dog costume and at one point the dog actually came in riding a tricycle.  Not to mention the dancing bumble bees.  It was like something from some cheap Nickelodeon toddler show.  

• THE SECRET GARDEN to return to Broadway  Jan 6 2017, 09:30:05 PM

Interesting that some praise the score but are critical of the book, referring to it as "clunky".  If  I recall, Marsha Norman won a Tony for "Best Book of a Musical". 

I think it is unfortunate to drop the songs "Round Shouldered Man" and "Race You To the Top of the Morning" as they are both lovely songs and they flesh out the relationship between Colin and his father, which is pivotal to the plot. 

I am also surprised

• Charlie & The Chocolate Factory Broadway Bound  Dec 23 2016, 12:10:07 PM

The original film did not really "Americanize" the story.  They purposely filmed in Germany not only because it was cheaper, but because director Mel Stuart liked the "ambiguity" of the location.  Stuart liked the idea of the location being a place that would not be easily pinpointed by many, giving the film a fairy tale quality and the sense that it does not take place in any particular place or era.  He felt that would give the film a "timelessness&qu

• Breaking News: Who Will Get Christian Borle's Golden Tickets? Full Cast Announced for CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY  Dec 20 2016, 05:02:27 PM

To the people on this thread who keep saying that the adults as kids casting was "common knowledge", obviously this is not the case since this thread started yesterday.  

If this production is going more towards the movie, then there will be no Mr. Bucket, and Mrs. Bucket might even sing the song "Cheer Up, Charlie" which, while not a great song, is still MILES better than anything new written for the London show. 

• Charlie & The Chocolate Factory Broadway Bound  Dec 16 2016, 07:19:27 AM

According to the flyer I got in the mail, this production will be using the "beloved songs from the original film, including "Pure Imagination" and "The Candy Man" alongside a brand new score. "   I assume they will also be using the Oompah Loompah songs from the film, since that tune is featured rather prominently in the TV ad.  I hope they bring in more elements from the Gene Wilder film as that film is sort of iconic here in the states (more than it

• Jack O'Brien Sound of Music to B'way?  Nov 11 2016, 11:06:28 PM

I did not care for it at all.  The last professional TSOM I saw on stage was the Broadway revival and its subsequent tour, which I thought was much better than this production.   

• 3 matildas?  Nov 5 2016, 08:52:39 PM

I still don't understand why they ever needed three or four Matildas.  Sorry, but it is not THAT challenging of a role.  Surely no more work than an actress playing Annie, or Mary Lennox.  With BILLY ELLIOT it made sense because the role had such huge physical demands with all the dancing and acro.  But Matilda?  

And then when they all received a "special" Tony, that REALLY iirked me.  Especially since it was the same year that another famil

• Borle sings  Oct 15 2016, 10:37:48 AM

I wonder if they will change the lyrics to "Candy Man" for this production since Wonka is singing them and the lyrics seem to be very "un-Wonka". Lyrics like "Who can take a sunrise, sprinkle it with dew?"  or "Who can take a rainbow, wrap it in a sigh?", or even worse, "The Candy Man can 'Cause he mixes it with love And makes the world taste good".  I am not knocking the lyrics as sung by the candy shop owner in the film, but pu

• FREAKY FRIDAY at Signature Theatre in DC  Oct 10 2016, 03:47:25 PM

If Disney really wants theaters to do this show, they will have to release a cast recording.  Has anyone heard if they are working on a recording?

• West End's Miss Saigon to be released on DVD?  Sep 23 2016, 12:21:26 AM

At the intermission of the Cinema broadcast of MISS SIAGON the blu ray and DVD releases were advertised.  So, yes it will be released on home video.  As to when, there was no release date mentioned.

• Willy Wonka Question  Sep 18 2016, 11:57:38 AM

So, that "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory"  teaser certainly made one think that the Broadway version might be more similar to the movie "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory".  The license plate says "Candy Man" which is one of the songs from the film, and the whistle you hear at the end is....well, do I even need to say?  Plus, director O'Brien referred to the character being more like the Gene Wilder character from that film.  If the

• ABC Getting into live musicals game?  Sep 12 2016, 09:29:23 PM

I am still hoping one of the networks brings A CHRISTMAS STORY: The Musical to the small screen.  Such a beloved and well-known title would seem like a no-brainer. So far, we've got NBC and Fox entering the live musical TV event; can ABC and CBS be far behind?  

• Glenn Casale's The Hunchback of Notre Dame  Aug 13 2016, 09:46:21 PM

I saw this show a few weeks ago at the Ogunquit Playhouse in Maine.  The production and performances were all top notch, but the material was difficult to connect to and follow.  I am really not sure why --the material was very dense, with lots going on, similar to LES MISERABLES.  But the creators were not able to make it all work.   Too bad

Here are the press reels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a

• Harry Potter and the Cursed Child to Broadway 2017?  Aug 7 2016, 11:39:09 AM

I am wondering if the actors playing the children are actually child actors or young adult actors (say 18 to 21) who look like children.  It is hard to tell from the pictures but I would think with the very strict laws in the UK governing child actors (much more strict than Broadway) and the fact that they probably don't want to take a chance that a 13 year old playing Albus will suddenly hit his growth spurt that they would cast young looking adults in those roles.  Does anyone

• Shows That Should Receive a BroadwayHD Livestream  Jul 1 2016, 09:06:32 PM

I don't think it should be limited to just Broadway productions.  How about the current Papermill production of WEST SIDE STORY (which is completely sold out)?   Or the Ogunquit PH production of ANYTHING GOES with Andrea McCardle and Sally Struthers?