Profile for mikey2573

Edit Your Profile |

Member Name: mikey2573
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Birthday: 2 - 5
Favorite Show(s):

Favorite Performer(s):

Most Recent Message Board Posts:
  • Jack O'Brien Sound of Music to B'way?  Nov 11 2016, 11:06:28 PM

I did not care for it at all.  The last professional TSOM I saw on stage was the Broadway revival and its subsequent tour, which I thought was much better than this production.   

• 3 matildas?  Nov 5 2016, 08:52:39 PM

I still don't understand why they ever needed three or four Matildas.  Sorry, but it is not THAT challenging of a role.  Surely no more work than an actress playing Annie, or Mary Lennox.  With BILLY ELLIOT it made sense because the role had such huge physical demands with all the dancing and acro.  But Matilda?  

And then when they all received a "special" Tony, that REALLY iirked me.  Especially since it was the same year that another famil

• Borle sings  Oct 15 2016, 10:37:48 AM

I wonder if they will change the lyrics to "Candy Man" for this production since Wonka is singing them and the lyrics seem to be very "un-Wonka". Lyrics like "Who can take a sunrise, sprinkle it with dew?"  or "Who can take a rainbow, wrap it in a sigh?", or even worse, "The Candy Man can 'Cause he mixes it with love And makes the world taste good".  I am not knocking the lyrics as sung by the candy shop owner in the film, but pu

• FREAKY FRIDAY at Signature Theatre in DC  Oct 10 2016, 03:47:25 PM

If Disney really wants theaters to do this show, they will have to release a cast recording.  Has anyone heard if they are working on a recording?

• West End's Miss Saigon to be released on DVD?  Sep 23 2016, 12:21:26 AM

At the intermission of the Cinema broadcast of MISS SIAGON the blu ray and DVD releases were advertised.  So, yes it will be released on home video.  As to when, there was no release date mentioned.

• Willy Wonka Question  Sep 18 2016, 11:57:38 AM

So, that "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory"  teaser certainly made one think that the Broadway version might be more similar to the movie "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory".  The license plate says "Candy Man" which is one of the songs from the film, and the whistle you hear at the end is....well, do I even need to say?  Plus, director O'Brien referred to the character being more like the Gene Wilder character from that film.  If the

• ABC Getting into live musicals game?  Sep 12 2016, 09:29:23 PM

I am still hoping one of the networks brings A CHRISTMAS STORY: The Musical to the small screen.  Such a beloved and well-known title would seem like a no-brainer. So far, we've got NBC and Fox entering the live musical TV event; can ABC and CBS be far behind?  

• Glenn Casale's The Hunchback of Notre Dame  Aug 13 2016, 09:46:21 PM

I saw this show a few weeks ago at the Ogunquit Playhouse in Maine.  The production and performances were all top notch, but the material was difficult to connect to and follow.  I am really not sure why --the material was very dense, with lots going on, similar to LES MISERABLES.  But the creators were not able to make it all work.   Too bad

Here are the press reels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a

• Harry Potter and the Cursed Child to Broadway 2017?  Aug 7 2016, 11:39:09 AM

I am wondering if the actors playing the children are actually child actors or young adult actors (say 18 to 21) who look like children.  It is hard to tell from the pictures but I would think with the very strict laws in the UK governing child actors (much more strict than Broadway) and the fact that they probably don't want to take a chance that a 13 year old playing Albus will suddenly hit his growth spurt that they would cast young looking adults in those roles.  Does anyone

• Shows That Should Receive a BroadwayHD Livestream  Jul 1 2016, 09:06:32 PM

I don't think it should be limited to just Broadway productions.  How about the current Papermill production of WEST SIDE STORY (which is completely sold out)?   Or the Ogunquit PH production of ANYTHING GOES with Andrea McCardle and Sally Struthers?  

• ANASTASIA Set for Broadhurst Theatre, Spring 2017  Jun 28 2016, 11:11:13 PM

I'm afraid I have to agree with Esther.  What I saw in Hartford was pleasant, but nothing to write home about.  The primary romance story is right out of a 100 musicals that have come before it, many of which did it much better than ANASTASIA does.  The true drama in the show comes from the conflict between Anya and her possible grandmother.  That really was more interesting than the somewhat bland, traditional love story.  

If they bring the show I saw

• What shows did you go in with low expectations but ended up really enjoying?  Jun 20 2016, 11:33:29 AM

A CHRISTMAS STORY: The Musical

I was never a big fan of the movie as it always came across as too "jokey" and self-aware (wink, wink, nudge, nudge).  But I absolutely loved the musical and was very surprised at how good it was, and especially how emotionally moving some of the material was (since the movie always leaves me cold). 

• Favourite Scene Transitions?  May 2 2016, 08:59:15 PM

One of my favorites was in the Broadway revival of THE SOUND OF MUSIC.  When Maria is leaving the Von Trapps to go back to the Abbey.   She sneaks out of the Von Trapp house and down the stairs while the orchestra plays a light version (flute maybe?) of "How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria?".   Then the string section comes in as Maria reaches the bottom of the stairs, turns and looks at the VT house as it is slowly pulled back into darkness.  She turns and exi

• When Will FINDING NEVERLAND Pack It In?  Apr 19 2016, 04:39:53 PM

"What exactly does "out of place" mean? Does it mean that you would not hear this type of music in this period of history? Or something else. Inquiring minds want to know.."

It sounded like bubble-gum pop music.  I think I remember at the time commenting that it sounded like music you'd hear on one of those "Kidz Bop" releases.  Wouldn't it have made sense, since Barrie was Scottish, to write a score with that kind of influence?  Tha

• When Will FINDING NEVERLAND Pack It In?  Apr 19 2016, 10:52:13 AM

Having seen it on Broadway and at ART I can only say that the show improved a great deal from what I saw at ART which was truly bizarre.  The Broadway version was still very bland, with a score that is so out of place with the source material that it was like seeing two different shows at once, neither of which really worked. 

At ART the show was so outlandish that it garnered laughs and almost jaw-dropping glances to those in my party.  I mean, dancing ladybugs?  I

• Shrek removes slur  Apr 15 2016, 11:01:23 PM

God forbid people should be "offended" when they go the theater.  Hopefully, we can eliminate ALL things offensive in theatrical productions.  Theater will be SO much better that way. 

• John Owen Jones in Les Mis  Apr 13 2016, 09:01:40 PM

bwayphreak234 said: "One of the (many) major problems I have with this production is the use of the white hot beams of light inflicted upon each character when they die. It is truly a horrible directorial/lighting decision IMO.

Of course, you are not just referring to the 25th anniversary staging as that technique was used int the original staging as well. 

• Laurie Beechman sings MEMORY  Mar 20 2016, 07:22:24 PM

Not sure where this came from but it was just uploaded to YouTube two weeks ago. Looks like it was shot through the in-house video camera at the Winter Garden.  It is the late, great Laurie Beechman singing MEMORY during a performance of CATS.  Apparently it is one of her final (of many) returns to the show.  She is certainly not singing it quite as well as when she was in good health, but still, it's Laurie Beechman singing MEMORY so who cares!   Sadly, she would die

• The Secret Garden - London Revisions  Mar 16 2016, 09:29:32 PM

I always got the impression that the creative team capitulated to the folks at the RSC.  After all, the S in RSC stands for "Shakespeare", so they MUST know what they are doing. I think the RSC version had a few nice little changes (like the Lily's line in "How Could I ever Know?" being changed from "How could I ever know?" to "Now, you must let me go".)But for the most part, it was dismal and nowhere near as moving as the Broadway version. &nb

• Billy Elliot Tour  Mar 9 2016, 08:25:53 PM

I find out it odd that any shows feel the need to tour in a country that is roughly the size of New England.