Profile for mikey2573

Edit Your Profile |

Member Name: mikey2573
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Birthday: 2 - 5
Favorite Show(s):

Favorite Performer(s):

Most Recent Message Board Posts:
  • New Fantine at Les Miserables?  Nov 23 2015, 09:23:45 PM

I have really enjoyed this revival the four previous times I visited. But when I saw it with this new cast I was very disappointed.  Did not like Alfie at all.  He reminded me of an old man at church trying to sing --that arch in the back of the throat.  YECH!  I actually enjoyed Aaron Walpole (who was Ramin's understudy) more when he played the role. Poor singing, poor acting and just a very tired feel to it now.  

I will not be going back.   

• Alfie Boe is leaving Les Miz on February 28th  Nov 13 2015, 08:09:27 PM

I have not seen much on any of the boards about the new LES MIZ cast.  I remember there being a thread but once the new cast came in, it sort of disappeared.  That is opposite of what you'd expect to happen.  Maybe I just wasn't paying attention and missed it. 

• NBC's next live musical  Nov 13 2015, 08:03:52 PM

I've said it before and I'll say it again, "A Christmas Story: The Musical".  Right for the season.  Built in fan base.  Family friendly. HUGE name recognition. 

It's a no-brainer! 

• Most Overrated Tony Award Winning Best Musical  Sep 28 2015, 04:00:48 PM

• Most impressive Stage Effects (SpecialFX?)  Sep 20 2015, 07:29:45 PM

Spoiler:  Pigtail effect in MATILDA.

She has a costume that has handles on the shoulders right under her pigtails.  Trunchbull is not grabbing the pigtails, she is grabbing the handles on the actresses shoulders.  Of course, the "throw" is a lighting effect (basically flashes followed by a blackout if I remember correctly). 

• Shows that will not make it through the holidays/new year  Sep 20 2015, 07:23:04 PM

I am not sure how much longer Matt M. is in NEVERLAND, but whenever he leaves, unless they have another "name" lined up, I don't see it lasting long without him.  It will close shortly after he leaves. 

I think MATILDA has another year left in it.  And I don't think CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY will be coming to Broadway, primarily because the West End production is not that good, and I noticed that MTI recently announced that their mus

• Musicals Most Love But You Don't  Sep 8 2015, 08:49:12 PM

I still consider RENT to be the worst thing I have ever seen on a Broadway stage.  I felt trapped. 

• Which Musical would you love to see NBC or FOX do live next?  Sep 5 2015, 02:30:03 PM

I will once again voice my support for A CHRISTMAS STORY: The Musical.  It is an absolute no-brainer.

And while we are on the subject of Christmas musicals, I wish someone would bring "Amahl and the Night Visitors" back to TV.  I know it is an opera, but still.  It used to be a TV tradition.  And Audra has expressed interest in playing Amahl's mother. 

• re: The ORIGINAL Majestic Theatre - anyone have a picture of it?  Aug 17 2015, 08:28:40 PM

I believe it was renamed The International Theater.  You can see a picture of it with its surrounding buildings here:

If you click on the picture it brings you to other pictures of the theater, the marquee and the interior.  Looks like these pictures were taken at a time when advertising billboards dwarfed or obscured much of the building's beauty. 

• The One Cast Album Never Recorded You Want  Aug 13 2015, 05:51:43 PM

The Sandy Duncan PETER PAN revival. 

The Broadway cast (and score) of A CHRISTMAS STORY (including all the new lyrics, the different versions of songs and "You'll Shoot Your Eye Out" but with the original cast from Broadway. 

• Cameron Mackintosh Confirms New Oliver! Movie...?  Jul 29 2015, 08:09:09 PM

I wonder what this means for the potential OLIVER! LIVE TV production.  I know that when talking about future Live musicals on TV, OLIVER! is usually on the top of the list. 

• Which musical should Lincoln Center revive next?  Jul 29 2015, 11:18:51 AM

I would love for them to bring back Hytner's CAROUSEL.  It is one of those productions that has entered the status of being "legendary" and I think others might be fearful to revive the show because no one wants their production to be compared to Hytner's. It was absolute perfection!   It's been over 20 years now and people still talk about it. And then they could air it on PBS's Live From Lincoln Center like they did with SOUTH PACIFIC and are supposedly going to do with KING AND I

• Matthew Broderick in Sylvia  Jul 29 2015, 11:10:33 AM

In the last three shows I saw him in (The Producers, The Odd Couple and It's Only a Play), he was exactly the same.  Sorry but Leo Bloom, Felix Unger and whatever character he played in It's Only a Play are not in any way similar, yet Broderick played them all exactly the same and said his lines exactly the same in each play; that sort of nasally, monotone, over-enunciated, stiff, non-expressive talk that he has been doing since The Producers.  He was PAINFULLY unfunny in both The O

• Songs With a big belt at the end  Jul 16 2015, 09:27:22 PM
    "Memory" from CATS.
  • New  Jul 10 2015, 07:40:55 PM

Paper Mill Playhouse is doing it 

as is Walnut Street Theater 

• Child Actors on Broadway  Jul 8 2015, 09:09:10 AM

Then you agree that the Matildas got the special Tony because they were not eligible for a competitive Tony?

All the children were eligible for a special Tony for juvenile performance.  I just believe that the kids from ACS were more deserving of a special juvenile Tony than the three or four Matildas. 

• Child Actors on Broadway  Jul 7 2015, 10:00:03 PM
    Because, as I said, it seemed like a consolation prize for the Matildas. "Oh we are not going to put you in a competitive nomination but here is this "Special Tony" so we don't feel bad and so you don't feel dissed." And then you watch those kids from A CHRISTMAS STORY on the same Tony telecast and you think, "Matilda WHO???" When you compare the two performances just on the telecast, the kids from ACS far outshine the kids from Matilda. And the girl playing Matilda does not even participa
  • Child Actors on Broadway  Jul 7 2015, 08:25:29 PM
    I have no problem with producers using rotating children in a cast. But I don't think it the children need a Tony Award for doing it. The four Matildas getting a special Tony completely mystified me in a way the three boys from BILLY ELLIOT getting the Best Actor Tony never did. The Billy Elliot ruling somehow made sense. And their win made sense to me too. The Matilda special Tony did not. It seemed like they were getting a booby prize because the Tonys did not want to put them in a compet
  • Child Actors on Broadway  Jul 7 2015, 04:32:11 PM
    I believe the multiple children rotating in a single role is something that developed in London, primarily to deal with the strict child performing rules in that country. However, here in the US, our restriction are nowhere near as harsh. The first time I had ever heard of it being done was with BILLY ELLIOT, and the rationale was that the role was so physically demanding that no one that young could do that more than a couple of times a week. And the production was still plagued with BIlly i
  • David Shiner/Seussical?  Jul 4 2015, 06:17:05 PM

My biggest issue with the revised version is that the character of Jojo is not a part of the Seuss world.  He "steps into" the world at the behest of the Cat in the Hat, but at times he "steps out" too.  As a result, you never have the feeling that Jojo is ever in any jeopardy; you never fear for his safety or the outcome for his character because he can 'step out' of the story any time he wants.