BroadwayWorld.com
 Breaking News
Profile for mikey2573
Edit Your Profile |

Member Name: mikey2573
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Birthday: 2 - 5
Favorite Show(s):

Favorite Performer(s):

Most Recent Message Board Posts:
  • FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews  Apr 15 2015, 08:47:01 PM

"Hollywood Reporter is negative.
    ...there's nonetheless no convincing argument here that a Finding Neverland musical was ever an artistically valid idea.
    Hollywood Reporter"

• Reviews written before opening night.  Apr 15 2015, 08:31:10 PM

I thought reviews were (almost) always written prior to the official opening --or at least the critic saw the show before the opening.  Once the show is officially "frozen" then the critics can have at it.  At least, that is what I always thought. 

• FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews  Apr 15 2015, 08:26:37 PM

AP review "not good"?  Are you kidding me?  That review is positively BRIMMING with great pull quotes: 

"A celebration of imagination!" 

"Pleasing spectacle!" 

The cast is "first rate"! 

"Absolutely thrilling!" 

"Pure understated brilliance!" 

"The music and lyrics....lean on soaring pop melodies and lilting Irish folk."

Kelsey Grammer is a "glorious scene-ste

• The case with OLIVER the Musical  Apr 10 2015, 04:13:04 PM

I wonder if that "schtick" was just Rowan Atkinson's idea or if it was encouraged by the director and producer, since most of the Fagin follow-ups kept that schtick or came up with their own.  When I saw it, Fagin even made a reference to Lady Gaga, which completely took me out of the play, despite the fact that most in the audience found it funny. 

• Jungle Book  Apr 4 2015, 06:38:51 PM

Anyone who saw it in Chicago knew it had no real future.  Nice design elements, good performances, but completely lackluster in every other way.  It will probably be made available for local and regional productions, but it was definitely not ready for Broadway. 

• Best staged number in theatre history?  Mar 25 2015, 08:44:16 PM
    One Day More --Les Miserables (original staging)

Solidarity--Billy Elliot

I'm Flying --Peter Pan (Sandy Duncan production)

• FINDING NEVERLAND Previews  Mar 25 2015, 04:33:13 PM
    WOW! If it really is worse than what was seen in Cambridge, then it must truly be awful. When I saw it in Cambridge, it was literally "You can't be serious!" laughable. I've mentioned before the ridiculous servants in the Barrie household who seemed to be just mugging for attention every time they came on. Then there was the animation that was projected onto the scenery during BELIEVE, I remember flowers falling down, and rocket ships taking off, I even think I may have seen Ping and Pong and
  • Billy vs. Matilda Tony  Mar 22 2015, 11:49:14 AM
    The Australian production of BILLY ELLIOT (which preceded the Broadway production), also set that precedent with their theater awards, The Helpmann.

Best Male Actor in a Musical
    Lochlan Denholm, Nick Twiney, Rarmian Newton, & Rhys Kosakowski Billy Elliot the Musical

Though it is interesting to note that no other actor in a musical was nominated that year.
  • Billy vs. Matilda Tony  Mar 22 2015, 10:12:22 AM
    I did see all three original Billys (in addition to Tommy Batchelor) and I can state without hesitation that each one was exceptional and yet each had a very unique interpretation of the role. The fact that they are onstage for almost the entire three hours (there's about 8 minutes in Act 2 where they are off stage and the very beginning of Act 1 --other than that, they are on stage the rest of the show), in addition to the physical requirements of the part really made it impossible to have one
  • Billy vs. Matilda Tony  Mar 21 2015, 10:20:01 PM
    The MATILDAS did not deserve to win a Tony, even a special non-competitive Tony was pushing it. Matilda is not an overly demanding role (like Billy Elliot). I would put playing Matilda on Broadway in the same "exertion" quotient as playing Mary Lennox in THE SECRET GARDEN. And Daisy Eagan only had one other actress who I believe did two shows a week for her. So why did they need FOUR actresses to cover the role of Matilda? BILLY ELLIOT only started out with the three Tony winning Billys, bef
  • FINDING NEVERLAND Previews  Mar 16 2015, 09:17:31 PM
    Porthos was a St. Bernard. Porthos died in 1901.
    Barrie's second dog, Luath, a Newfoundland dog, was the inspiration for Nana in PETER PAN.
    What breed they are using for FINDING NEVERLAND I have no idea.
  • FINDING NEVERLAND Previews  Mar 16 2015, 01:24:51 AM
    So Porthos is now played by a real dog. I wonder when this decision was makde. Looking at the video of the number BELIEVE in rehearsal, it looked like they still had an actor playing the dog. Sounds like this may have been a last minute decision.
  • The REAL "King and I" preview thread  Mar 15 2015, 07:43:44 AM
    Please post in this thread if you've actually seen the show and want to tell us your thoughts. Save us all from trudging through the other preview thread with over 200 posts mostly from people who have not seen the show. Let's see if this thread can have posts only from people who have actually seen it. So don't post here telling us you're going to see if in May, or that you can't wait to see it in April. Post here if you have seen the revival and have comments about it.
    Thanks!
  • A Series of Unfortunate Events as a musical?  Mar 14 2015, 11:11:24 AM
    Something tells me that a story about a creepy old man who wants to marry a 12 year old girl might be a hard sell.
  • Trip to NYC  Mar 10 2015, 05:56:02 PM
    We always stay in Stamford,CT. Some really nice hotels (the Hampton Inn has a great breakfast buffet every day, free for guests). The Metro North into Grand Central is about $20 round trip, and there is a huge parking garage connected to the station where you'll pay about $10 a day. Even if you go in and out of the city multiple times, it is still cheaper (a LOT CHEAPER) than staying in the city.
  • Bryan Cranston a producer on Finding Neverland  Mar 2 2015, 06:43:57 AM
    Cranston probably put up a couple of hundred dollars into the show and Harvey thinks that warrants a press release. Seems as if any time anyone associated with FN passes gas, Harvey has his press agent write a release.
    It reeks of desperation.
  • Regarding the Finding Neverland concept album  Feb 26 2015, 10:19:18 PM
    I agree with the post about Harvey hoping for a pop hit single from the album which he hopes will put butts in seats.

Anyone who knows anything about the real JM Barrie knows how ridiculous it is to portray him with his hands all over Sylvia, as we see in the "What You Mean To Me" video.
    Looks like they've made a lot of changes, but the choreographer, the pop score and the actor playing the dog are all still there. That may be a mistake.
  • Lady Gaga + Sound of Music  Feb 24 2015, 11:12:40 PM
    Fifty years from now, I wonder how the Academy will honor the 50th anniversary of "Birdman".
  • FINDING NEVERLAND Social Media Sneak Peek  Feb 18 2015, 08:54:32 PM
    What the hell was that? Does a doodle in an actor's notebook warrant a press release?

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/New-Social-Media-Sneak-Peek-At-FINDING-NEVERLAND-20150218
  • Let The Right One In: St. Ann's Warehouse  Feb 18 2015, 06:37:25 PM
    I was replying to the person who wrote, "I'm quite curious to see the original film now..."

Hope that meets your standards.