Profile for Theatreboy49

Edit Your Profile |

BroadwayWorld Theatreboy49
Click to Enlarge
Member Name: Theatreboy49
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Web Site: http://dustinrothbart.com
Blog Address:
Birthday: 4 - 30
Profile: I am a working actor in Chicago. Working on starting my own theatre company as well as pursuing an MFA in acting. Top 3 favorites are Sweeney Todd, Kiss of the Spiderwoman and Lippa's Wild Party

Favorite Show(s): A Chorus Line
Assassins
Cabaret
City of Angels
Company
Follies
Hair
Into the Woods
Jesus Christ Superstar
Lestat
Miss Saigon
next to normal
Oliver!
Parade
Ragtime
Rent
Side Show
Songs for a New World
Spring Awakening (Musical)
Sunday in the Park with George
Sweeney Todd
[title of show]

Favorite Performer(s): Skylar Astin
Kerry Butler
Norbert Leo Butz
Michael Cerveris
Kristin Chenoweth
Gavin Creel
Raúl E. Esparza
Allison Fischer
Sutton Foster
John Gallagher Jr.
George Hearn
Brian d'Arcy James
Patti LuPone
Audra McDonald
Lea Michele
Brian Stokes Mitchell
Julia Murney
Hugh Panaro
Adam Pascal
Drew Sarich
Sherie Rene Scott
Alexandra Socha
Aaron Tveit
Anthony Warlow

Most Recent Message Board Posts:
  • The Humans - Rush/Limited View  Aug 24 2016, 10:29:07 AM

It was my understanding that there is a lottery now but no rush policy anymore? Can anyone confirm what the current policy is, I'm hoping to catch this in December when I'm in town

• The Humans at the Schoenfeld  Aug 15 2016, 10:48:41 AM

Glad to hear the show has translated well into the new space for the most part. I am hoping to catch this in December. Did they do away with the rush policy as someone mentioned a lotto?

• Which Regional Theatres Do You Think are Overdue for a Tony?  Aug 15 2016, 10:42:42 AM

@Call Me Jorge, I would absolutely NOT award either the Mariott or Drury Lane. The work at both theatres is not only inconsistent but is hardly relevant especially at Mariott. Also Mariott was just involved in a racial casting controversy.  If Paramount continues to do the amazing work they have been then maybe in 15 years they could be fitting of the honor but they are far too young and new for consideration,.

• Shows where you prefer a different recording from the original?  Aug 12 2016, 10:20:53 AM

I think in general I tend to prefer the revival recordings of most shows due to the better sound quality. That said there area  few that stand out for both sound and performance.

Hair - in my opinion the revival recording is definitive

Pippin

The Color Purple

Assassins

Cabaret (9

Company (solely because of Raul)

The 1985 Follies Concert

Patti's Gypsy (I assume that d

• How many people on these boards work in theatre?  Aug 10 2016, 10:29:29 AM

Going on 5 years as a regionally based actor. Also a freelance critic for a minor publication. Currently working on starting a theatre company

• Sleep No More is AMAZING  Jul 25 2016, 10:49:43 AM

I have been twice: 2012 and 2013. The first time for me was electric. It was unlike anything I've ever experienced. The second time I went back I had 4 one on ones! It was such a personal experience and remains one of if not the best theatrical experience I've ever had. I was considering revisiting the show this December but it sounds like while its exciting for new attendees it just lacks the "it" factor it once had. Sad to hear that, I think I'll just live with the ste

• WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread  Jul 20 2016, 10:51:21 AM

@Kaylee the first time I saw the show i liked the song. It was amusing. But upon seeing it a second time it felt like sentiments neither of these intelligent, albeit hurt men would make. I think the characters do need a song here to say goodbye and exit the story but I just dont think this is the one. I think the praise for the song is that its fun but that doesnt make it right for the story.

@KnewitwhenIwasinfront I think the men are absolutely vital the to the story. Th

• WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread  Jul 19 2016, 10:23:05 AM

Was at the opening last night. It was a very special evening. Upon a second viewing I think Dinosaurs and Better Yourself both need to be re written. I disagree that some are finding the show generic. I found it to constantly be about the one upmanship of each woman on the other. I think the show does an excellent job of portraying that. Some tightening and minor re-writes will likely be done between here and new york but i agree on all the praise the score and the cast are receiving. Those a

• Company at The Writers Theater  Jul 15 2016, 10:15:14 AM

I have not gone to see it based on the opinion of several theatrical colleagues that I trust. Apparently there are some bizarre staging choices going on in the show. I do hope you can enjoy the show, but with a constantly long list of things to see in this town I was told it was a very strong show to pass on.

• Chicago HAMILTON cast announced  Jul 14 2016, 10:51:17 AM

@theatrenerd is it wrong to hope? Of course not. I am sure that if Karen had wanted to go to broadway she could have. I believe the proximity of chicago to madison played a part in it. I am thrilled we will get to see her. I expect her to be the highlight of the chicago run. However, I am part of the camp that finds Alex to be less than thrilling casting. I typically find him wooden on stage with the exception of his work in Violet which I did love. So i agree this will be time to see how the

• WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread  Jul 14 2016, 10:10:24 AM

I saw it last night. I imagine by friday the show will be frozen if it isnt already to prepare for the opening on monday. Sure a few minor tweaks will be needed between now and New York but I thought it was a wonderful evening of theatre. Both women were in top form. I agree with the assessment many have made that Ebersole's Arden is a little more eloquent and restrained wheras Patti's Rubenstein is quick witted and brash. Dossett and Sills do hold their own against both women, and wh

• The Goat, or Who Is Sylvia?  Jul 11 2016, 11:19:10 AM

To those asking about Jeffrey, he mostly teaches/coaches now (thats how I know him, hes an excellent coach) but he works when a project he's interested in comes about. He was in Measure for Measure at the Goodman a couple years ago and recently this past spring was in Cymbeline at Yale Rep

• The Goat, or Who Is Sylvia?  Jul 7 2016, 10:49:33 AM

What a wonderful thread. I havent had the chance to see a production live, however I happen to be friends with both the actor who originated the role of the son on Broadway and the actor who played the role in the wonderfully received Remmy Bumppo production here in Chicago previously mentioned. I remember reading the play a few years back and being floored. I dont know that I've ever read a play as quickly as I did when i first opened the script. I think it is easily a top 3 work for Alb

• WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread  Jun 29 2016, 11:24:31 AM

So exciting to hear strong buzz coming from the first preview. I am sure with David Stone attached it will be transferring.  Ill be there July 13 and this has only built my anticipation. Thanks for all the early details Whizzer!

• Your Most Prized Theater Item/ memborabilia  Jun 1 2016, 10:57:34 AM

I agree with what several of you have said about the true prize being the memories of performances and indeed how they inspire. As someone who knew early on that I was going to pursue acting there have been performances that stand out to me as the ones that made me want to keep going, keep studying. When I look at my playbills now, the signatures dont represent an autograph but rather the memory of how I felt after, how I had been affected. Ones that stick out to me are Michael Cerveris in Sw

• What's the best amateur performance of a musical you have ever seen?  May 24 2016, 10:06:09 AM

@ Sertzo19 - I had many friends in that production of Parade and the affinity they have for it when they talk about it is unlike anything else. Years later, most of that cast is professionally working and they still consider it a highlight of their career.  I wouldnt call Porchlight Amateur in the slightest though, they are an equity theatre employing several AEA performers. They do great work though and I cannot wait for Scottsboro Boys next year.

@MisterMatt I was

• Tony nom rants  May 3 2016, 11:00:29 AM

I dont have a ton to rant about. But I would have liked Benjamin Walker in over Zachary Levi and I REALLLLLLLY wanted Krysta Rodriguez recognized her work as well as the rest of the spring awakening cast's work. Also, Chi Theatre Fan, I too am in Chicago!

• The 2016 Tony NOMINATIONS Thread  May 3 2016, 10:29:31 AM

I am overall very happy with the list. I think the only categories that Hamilton lose out on are both Leading actor and actress. As far as snub I'm a little shocked (but have no opinion, I havent seen it) that Benjamin Walker was beat out by Levi. I'm also sad that Krysta Rodriguez was overlooked for her performance in Spring Awakening as well. It would have been a nice ode to the production. Also. wow its been ages since ive posted and its good to be back!

• What is NIna Arianda up to?  Jul 22 2013, 04:00:31 PM
    Ever since her tony win I know I haven't heard much of what she's up to. Is she filing anything? Does she have any works in progress? I know she was a part of the reading for the into the woods movie but I don't think she's been attached to the film. Just curious what she's up to I want to see more of her work!
  • Best Advice You Ever Got From A Broadway Show  Jul 22 2013, 03:56:24 PM
    When you've had an and and you're back to or, makes the or mean more than it did before

No day but today

BROADWAYWORLD TV

Backstage with Richard Ridge
Back to Falsettoland w/ OBC - Passing the Torch
Backstage Bite
TV Exclusive: BACKSTAGE BITE with ALADDIN's Rodney Ingram!
Turning the Tables
Binge on TURNING THE TABLES!
  Chewing the Scenery with Randy Rainbow
TV:-LuPone's Autobio - Lands EVITA!
KID CRITICS
TV: KID CRITICS Swept Away at PHANTOM
BROADWAY SESSIONS
BROADWAY SESSIONS Goes 'Back to School' Tonight