Profile for themysteriousgrowl

Edit Your Profile |

BroadwayWorld themysteriousgrowl
Click to Enlarge
Member Name: themysteriousgrowl
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Birthday: 6 - 8
Favorite Show(s): Caroline, or Change

Favorite Performer(s): Michael Shannon

Most Recent Message Board Posts:
  • CATS Reviews  Aug 1 2016, 09:28:45 AM

After Eight, as someone endlessly bemoaning the loss of tradition, decorum, and propriety in every facet of life, surely your writing "chomping at the bit" in your previous post was the result of a typographical error. The correct phrase is "champing at the bit." We'll let you slide this time, but please be more careful in the future. Remember -- the day you cease being BWW's comtock is the day you lose your identity here altogether.

• Has Pokemon Go worked its way into theaters yet?  Jul 15 2016, 02:21:49 PM

Who’s in with me to bankroll the Kad/Roxy-led SUNSHINE BOYS revival? Kad, we’ll age you up. Roxy, we’ll age you down.

• Cats Previews  Jul 15 2016, 09:19:28 AM

This makes sense. After Eight is basically Grizabella without the introspection.

• John McMartin has passed  Jul 8 2016, 07:12:45 AM

That Birthday Concert performance of "The Road You Didn't Take" never fails to astonish me. I watched it three times last night, and I can never wrap my head around how he pulls it off.

• John McMartin has passed  Jul 7 2016, 04:47:14 PM

This man was truly a marvel, entirely unique and such a professional through and through. I had the privilege of seeing him in GREY GARDENS and ANYTHING GOES, and his comic performance as Elisha Whitney in the latter was, as far as I’m concerned, definitive.

• Anatomy Of A Broadway Flop: What Sank These Four Shows?  Jul 4 2016, 08:38:35 AM

"...any of those four 60's shows..."

The only thing worse than a grammar scold is one who makes fundamental mistakes whilst scolding.

* '60s shows

• Angels in America: The Complete Oral History  Jun 30 2016, 07:48:17 AM

HogansHero said: "CATSNYrevival said: "Why has no one made an oral joke yet?"

Because it would be banal?
    "

No, ORAL, not -- Oh, never mind.

• The Encounter at The Golden  Jun 16 2016, 07:13:02 AM

Terrific! Any venture by McBurney and Complicite should not be missed, and they're rare this side of the pond.

• Change One Letter: Musicals Edition  May 28 2016, 01:14:03 PM

SOUFFLÉ ALONG

• She loves me seating  May 14 2016, 09:06:16 AM

I keep reading this subject line in a pirate voice, and it changes the meaning entirely.

• LONG DAY'S JOURNEY INTO NIGHT Reviews  Apr 28 2016, 09:26:54 AM

I don’t read the Times review as a pan or as dismissive. To me, it’s very even-handed. I have no basis for an opinion on how much the show has or has not evolved since the first preview, but what Brantley describes is very much what I saw onstage.

• LONG DAY'S JOURNEY INTO NIGHT Reviews  Apr 28 2016, 08:27:03 AM

Brantley effectively put into words a lot of what I felt when I saw the show.  But I saw the first preview and figured things would coalesce and even out after a couple weeks. It sounds like they haven’t.

• Thank You for all the Bullsht  Apr 22 2016, 07:39:00 AM

These reviews aren’t surprising. Full disclosure: I’m not a big fan of the movie or BEE’s writing in general, but the footage of the press preview that aired on “Theater Talk” a couple of weeks ago did nothing to get me interested in seeing this incarnation of Patrick Bateman’s story.  It looked – at least, divorced from the context of the rest of the show – pretty bad.

• Jonathan Pryce in Merchant of Venice  Apr 21 2016, 04:59:12 PM

OMG, JB, thank you for posting about this. Pryce is one of my favorite actors, and MERCHANT is one of my favorite plays. I didn’t even know this was happening.

• LONG DAY'S JOURNEY INTO NIGHT Previews  Apr 14 2016, 10:10:00 AM

It’s exactly that quality that makes Shannon one of my favorite actors – and a quality I think every great actor possesses, though it isn’t limited to danger – just any kind of potential unpredictability.  PSH and Burton and Sellers and Ledger had it. Streep, DDL, and Swinton have it. Brando and Pacino – at least in the first halves of their careers. It’s the acting equivalent of the tactic Sondheim describes using in composition as (I&rs

• Leslie Odom Jr. involved in awkward and lame skit  Apr 13 2016, 10:13:43 AM

In my experience, “CP time” isn’t a term used by Caucasians to denigrate African-Americans, but rather a term used reflexively by African-Americans, especially in groups made up predominantly of African-Americans, which is likely why it feels so tin-eared in this context. It entered my lexicon years ago during an extended stint with an African-American-run theater company, where it was used pretty much daily since company and crew members often arrived late and

• Leslie Odom Jr. involved in awkward political moment  Apr 12 2016, 02:39:55 PM

Ha ha funny.

• Leslie Odom Jr. involved in awkward political moment  Apr 12 2016, 02:09:39 PM

I thought it was funny.  Not expertly executed, but funny, and it gets funnier the more I think about it.

• An Incident Regarding  Mar 17 2016, 10:30:25 AM

Yeah, I wish Roxy would tell us what show this is. His information about it is confusing.

• report abuse links opinion thread  Mar 15 2016, 07:50:17 AM

Yeah, I have no problem with the ToS not being updated yet. I'm just looking for consistency between words and actions.

BROADWAYWORLD TV