Profile for Musicaldudepeter

Edit Your Profile |

Member Name: Musicaldudepeter
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Birthday: - - -
Favorite Show(s):

Favorite Performer(s):

Most Recent Message Board Posts:
  • 2017 SITPWG Nominations  Jun 22 2017, 08:22:38 PM

I would assume just 3: best revival, best actor for Gyllenhaal and best actress for Ashford. The designs or direction certainly weren't necessarily worthy of recognition, because none of it was groundbreaking apart from its two leading performances. 

• Victor Victoria and the Tonys  Jun 19 2017, 05:40:10 PM

I agree. King & I won Best Revival, and either Costume or Scenic Design (I can't be bothered to check), and so I'm sure many people predicted Murphy to go along for the ride too. There appeared to be a lot of love for that production as was the same with Bart Sher's 2015 revival. 

• Victor Victoria and the Tonys  Jun 19 2017, 04:57:13 PM

So obviously she was still legitimately in with a shot to win? Why didn't she, then? Backlash because of her declining the nom? Strange how she didn't win regardless of all of this, given how beloved she is and overdue she was for a Tony. I would've thought if her name was still on the ballot, nothing would've stopped her winning. And Murphy only won 2 years prior for Passion, so she wasn't overdue by any stretch. Bizarre. 

• Victor Victoria and the Tonys  Jun 19 2017, 03:16:09 PM

Was Julie's name still on the voting ballots for the Tonys that year. In other words, was Donna Murphy going to win anyway? This Julie/Donna Tony year is as baffling and hazy a topic as the whole why-wasn't-Bernadette-nominated-for-Into-the-Woods debacle. 

• Well, hello, Patti (LaBelle)!  May 27 2017, 06:58:47 PM

If Patti is too "ethnic," what does that make Bette? And Streisand? I'm confused as to that Herman comment. 

• Breaking News: HELLO, DOLLY! & COME FROM AWAY Top Outer Critics Circle Winners; Full List!  May 10 2017, 05:34:32 AM

And what about the last King & I revival - weren't there brand new dances but then a lot of Robbins' stuff thrown in? Wasn't CG eligible and nominated for a Tony? 

• MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?  May 5 2017, 06:04:30 PM

Steve C. said: "The more I hear about this possible MFL the less excited I get. If they are going to revive this, not exactly "dinosaur" of a show, I think the word I should use is "pedigree", they are going to have to do an all out, spare no expense production.

Sure, I'm too young to have seen Julie Andrews and Rex Harrison, but the sheer rags to opulent riches in this show, would require, imo, another "Hello Dolly" type of treatment

• 2017 Drama Desk Nominations & Awards  Apr 27 2017, 08:04:58 AM

Are they live-streaming the noms? 

• CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018  Apr 21 2017, 12:23:06 PM

Interesting to note that (afaik) Audra McDonald played Julie in a concert version of the show opposite Hugh Jackman some years after she'd won the Tony for playing Carrie. Now Mueller is swapping that feat. I recently re-watched portions of the concert with O'Hara and Gunn, and I think Mueller was inspired as Carrie. I'll be very interested to see what she does with Julie. 

• Whizzer makes Page Six of the NY POST!  Mar 18 2017, 02:03:13 PM

How many Tonys do you think this production will win? (Revival, Actress, Set/Costume…, another acting award?)

• HELLO, DOLLY! Previews (seat locations)  Mar 16 2017, 12:25:25 PM

What overture are they using by the way? The original published overture in the score is dire, and the OBC only has a truncated 'Dolly' theme as its prelude. The '94 recording uses a new one altogether. Did they arrange a new one for this revival, presumably? 

• MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?  Mar 14 2017, 12:34:46 PM

I think given Sher and LCT's history with O'Hara, she would have been announced with the production announcement, so I think it's safe to assume it won't be Kelli. Judging by what she's been saying in recent interviews, it seems she's not content with simply churning out revival after revival. King & I was the culmination of that period for her and she capped it off with a perfect Tony win. I think the next musical she'll do will likely be an original one

• MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?  Mar 13 2017, 08:40:11 AM

Why is everyone choosing to ignore the whole Kelli-at-the-Met thing…? She is due to sing the role of Despina in Mozart's Cosi Fan Tutte at the Met which opens on 15 March 2018, and finishes its run on 19 April. LCT's My Fair Lady reportedly previews from 22 March 2018 and officially opens on 19 April… 

• MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?  Mar 11 2017, 06:29:12 AM

BroadwayBaby6 said: "My bet is still on Kelli O'Hara. Bartlett Sher loves her. LCT management love her. LCT subscribers (myself included) love her. Most importantly Brantley ***LOVES*** her. 

There are actresses who may be funnier  (Laura Benanti) or more authentic (Laura Michelle Kelly), but Kelli will sing the role to perfection AND have the audience eating out of her hand..And why take chances on another actress when you know your subsc

• LCT'S KING AND I REPRODUCTION IN LONDON?  Feb 18 2017, 11:49:13 PM

That would make sense, but I don't think London is craving another King and I… The UK has had several tours of the show in recent years plus that 2009 (?) Royal Albert Hall production with Maria Friedman. 

• Can Bette's voice handle it?  Feb 13 2017, 01:14:49 PM

Donna has been vocal in the past about her reservations toward Chris Renshaw's dramatic handling of the King and I material for the 1996 revival… She mentioned in an interview at one point that Renshaw assumed she wanted to play a 'dark' Anna because of her acclaimed work in Passion two years earlier and she had to compromise this interpretation during the entire run. So in terms of classical musical heroines, I don't think she's going to play Dolly with any ki

• Kelli O'Hara and Will Chase to Star in Roundabout's KISS ME, KATE Benefit Concert  Aug 11 2016, 07:09:13 PM

I wonder will they be using the original arrangements and higher keys (for Lili/Kate), or the recent 1999 revival arrangements and lower keys? 

• Jane Krakowski on CBS Sunday Morning  May 30 2016, 02:45:07 PM

I really hope she takes the Tony on June 12th. I don't know what will happen, but I think she's the dark horse, and truly deserves it for a scene-stealing Katie Finneran-Laura Benanti-Andrea Martin-Judy Kaye kind of performance that the Tonys have honored recently… Who knows. If She Loves Me nabs the best revival category, Krakowski could go along for the ride. (I do think Purple is winning, though.)

• Any rush stories?  Mar 22 2015, 02:43:44 PM
    Tons of constant, irrelevant references to Cambodia and France that Sher added in to make the production seem more accurate or historical obviously. Ugh! And just millions of other little extra lines that I have never heard before in various scenes. Very strange!
  • Any rush stories?  Mar 22 2015, 02:34:57 PM
    My two cents:

Overall, Sher cannot recreate the magic of South Pacific with this King & I. His subtle/minimalist approach to this production while beautiful is simply not effective IMO. There's a reason people go for opulence and over the top with this show, and I think it's a better fit rather than going very 'historical' as Sher does…

Kelli is blissful as Anna, and she gets the most juice out of every line she has. Her Shall I Tell You…? is a showstopper, and her relationship