Profile for newintown

Edit Your Profile |

BroadwayWorld newintown
Click to Enlarge
Member Name: newintown
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Birthday: - - -
Favorite Show(s): A Catered Affair
A Little Night Music
Avenue Q
Chicago
Company
Follies
Grand Hotel
Grey Gardens
Grind
Kismet
Lady in the Dark
Nine
Pippin
Promises, Promises
Street Scene
Sunday in the Park with George
Sweet Charity
The Drowsy Chaperone
The Light in the Piazza
The Mystery of Edwin Drood
Titanic

Favorite Performer(s):

Most Recent Message Board Posts:
  • Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/15/17  Jan 19 2017, 08:42:21 AM

I also doubt that Kroll and Mullaney are working for cheap; neither is what anyone would call wealthy, with limited television success up to now.

And although they wrote the show, it technically belongs to Patrick Catullo, Marcia Goldberg, Barbara Whitman, Marc Platt, Pierce Cravens, James G. Kernochan, Jonathan Reinis, Benjamin Simpson & Joseph Longthorne/Shira Friedman, Triptyk Studios, Bellanca Smigel Rutter, Nathan Vernon, Mike LaVoie and Comedy Central, the producers.

• Prequels, Sequels, or Compainion Musicals You Wish Existed  Jan 19 2017, 08:37:44 AM

[please just kill us] – Hunter Bell, Jeff Bowen, Susan Blackwell, and Heidi Blickenstaff find themselves 60 years old and still carting [title of show] around to increasingly smaller venues, the most recent being a Red Roof Inn in Paducah, Kentucky. Rooting through their decaying luggage, they find a suicide pact they made in younger, happier days, with a manifesto that they would end it all if they were doing the same old thing at age 60. Comically, all their attempts

• Prequels, Sequels, or Compainion Musicals You Wish Existed  Jan 18 2017, 02:17:58 PM

Mameleh! A prequel to Mame, in which we see her as a rich young girl in Chicago, at her scandalous coming out party, running away to New York, and getting laid by Mayor Jimmy Walker, Eugene O’Neill, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Al Jolson, Eubie Blake, and Elsa Maxwell.

Yonkers, Schmonkers, Bonkers - which follows the lives of Cornelius, Irene, Barnaby, and Minnie several years after Hello, Dolly! Boredom and familiarity have inspired them to start the

• Rocky Horror Revival ?  Jan 18 2017, 01:06:32 PM

I thought that revival was like a Disney entertainment; it had less sex and audacity than Bambi.

• The Scottsboro Boys  Jan 18 2017, 09:27:08 AM

I thought it was easily the best show of the season, but it was about something real and ugly, and it was about race. A Broadway musical is only going to succeed if it appeals to the yahoos from the hinterlands (which includes New Jersey and Connecticut), and the yahoos won't go to an ugly musical about race; if you make race issues cute, like in Hairspray, or simpleminded, like in Memphis, they'll accept it, but not otherwise.

• Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/8/17  Jan 11 2017, 04:23:37 PM

"You could hit the 50% the main and hardest role has been developed and ready. You need to train the lesser roles to work with Cynthia."

Well, it's certainly clear that you don't have the slightest clue how a show is developed or how rehearsals work. Do you think The Color Purple is merely a series of skits with Celie doing all the work and everyone else just fitting in around her at random?

"When new principal cas

• Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/8/17  Jan 11 2017, 03:34:44 PM

"But the main role was already developed and ready and that is Cynthia Erivio who again learned her role for the Menier production, all other roles are secondary, so rehearsals could have been brought down to half the normal time."

If you really think that rehearsal time could be cut by 50% merely because one cast member knew her lines and songs, then I'm going to have to discard anything you have ever said and will ever say about theatre.

• DAMN YANKEES Revival  Jan 11 2017, 02:42:02 PM

I found the extra choreography merely distracting; if Ilona is a dance role, the show would have been written with dance music for her. That whole silly dance felt just contrary (to me) to the spirit of the show, which is small, delicate, and non-showbizzy.

As for Krakowski, I agree that she delivers exactly what you expect, nothing more, and she does it pretty well. But I think she's really at her best on the small screen, in supporting roles.

• DAMN YANKEES Revival  Jan 11 2017, 01:04:03 PM

"I think as long as he's not completely tone-deaf, he'll be fine. Applegate has what, one solo and one duet? Neither of them especially taxing."

In the original version he has only one light solo; they took the duet from Joe and gave it to Applegate for the Garber/Neuwirth revival.

I'd like to see a real clown as Applegate - why not James Corden himself? The role as written is not really all that funny, and I'd love to see what a good clown cou

• Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/8/17  Jan 11 2017, 12:44:05 PM

"This production has "reclaimed" the luster of a work that many felt was shortchanged in the original production.  It's made a star of Cynthia Erivo.  It returned Heather Headley to Broadway. It attracted a diverse audience, including many, many African Americans who have not been a core constituency of Broadway  audiences, and it is a quite correct point of pride in that community --whether someone saw the show or not.  And now it might go out on th

• Lightning Thief Musical  Jan 11 2017, 11:47:58 AM

"It was pretty much a Harry Potter knockoff..."

I believe the word you seek is "ripoff."

• Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/8/17  Jan 11 2017, 10:36:38 AM

I suppose they could have said, "due to the amazing material and our stellar cast, this will probably bring in 90% of the gross potential for at least a year." It would have been a lie, but it's the kind of lie that theatre-loving people with extra money might like to hear and believe.

As it turned out, it looks like it averaged about 65-70% of the gross potential for that first year. Not mega-flop numbers, but also not what looks like a financial succes

• Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/8/17  Jan 11 2017, 10:24:05 AM

"My point in saying there was some "poor producing" going on is because I can't imagine that recoupment schedule would have been viable to potential investors if it listed statistics showing that the show would take over a year to recoup, but would only have a guaranteed bonafide 'draw' to sell the show for a few months."

I don't really see much sense in that statement; most Broadway shows don't recoup at all, and most shows that

• DAMN YANKEES Revival  Jan 11 2017, 09:10:58 AM

As has been pointed out, Verdon was 30 when the show opened. It might be odd to have a post-menopausal Lola, no matter how well preserved her exterior may be. When her hip breaks during "A Little Brains, A Little Talent," it'll be a real downer for the entire audience.

That said, I would imagine a successful revival will require an actual star for the role, not a relatively unknown workhorse like Davi or Padgett. I don't even know who this Garrett C

• Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/8/17  Jan 11 2017, 08:20:16 AM

The Color Purple had a cast of 20, including swings, and 8 in the pit. That no longer counts as "small" on Broadway.

"Small" is Passing Strange, with a cast of 12 and 4 (extra) musicians, or Glory Days with a cast of 6 and 4 musicians, or [title of show], with a cast of 6 and 1 musician.

Heck, people were talking about Gigi like it was big and lush, and it was only marginally bigg

• Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/8/17  Jan 10 2017, 11:03:08 AM

Also interesting to note that this Color Purple revival ran only half as long as the original, and in a significantly smaller house. Despite good reviews and enthusiastic (but limited) word of mouth, it was, undeniably, a flop. Perhaps a flop respected by some (personally, I think the source is terrific but the musical adaptation is unbearably amateurish), but a flop.

• Falsettos Lyric Changes For PBS  Jan 6 2017, 12:33:50 PM

Oh, it's always sad when a fictional character strays from their assigned parameters - After Eight has heretofore sounded like a fusty, effete academic; but in this conversation he's coming off more like a Hogarthian charwoman, Madame DeFarge, or some Una Merkel character.

• Falsettos Lyric Changes For PBS  Jan 6 2017, 12:10:11 PM

As Henry Higgins says, "We'll have none of your slum prudery here."

This kind of censorship has always been the purview of the ignorant, crass, bourgeois, and unsophisticated. Well-educated, enlightened individuals have no need of it.

• Riedel on the must see shows of 2017  Jan 6 2017, 08:45:24 AM

That was a real snooze. Isn't it time to put Riedel out to pasture and encourage him to find a job where he provides something that someone actually wants?

• Is the Great Comet really that confusing  Jan 5 2017, 12:17:52 PM

"The sound at the Imperial is perfect."

Haven't seen it there, and probably won't. One viewing was enough for me. Happy to hear your opinion, but I'm skeptical. I found the sound good for The Visit, but that's the only Broadway show in the past few years that I would say was not over-amplified. However, those are my standards, and perhaps not yours.

"In all seriousness the score is kind of brilliant..."

I