Profile for newintown

Edit Your Profile |

BroadwayWorld newintown
Click to Enlarge
Member Name: newintown
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Birthday: - - -
Favorite Show(s): A Catered Affair
A Little Night Music
Avenue Q
Chicago
Company
Follies
Grand Hotel
Grey Gardens
Grind
Kismet
Lady in the Dark
Nine
Pippin
Promises, Promises
Street Scene
Sunday in the Park with George
Sweet Charity
The Drowsy Chaperone
The Light in the Piazza
The Mystery of Edwin Drood
Titanic

Favorite Performer(s):

Most Recent Message Board Posts:
  • Clickbait garbage  Jul 26 2016, 03:05:01 PM

The show is entertaining, but it is most definitely not history. It's a fiction, an allegory, devised using names from the past. Those who believe that they have learned facts after viewing it are living in a fool's paradise.

That doesn't mean in any way that the show has no value; it has a great deal. But like any piece of entertainment or art, many viewers (perhaps most) may misunderstand what they're seeing.

• Clickbait garbage  Jul 26 2016, 09:15:16 AM

After reading two other pieces linked on this site (the lazy and sloppily written piece on Ben Curtis, and the moronic Out Magazine essay about the nitwit with a crush on a Silence! cast member), this was refreshingly well-written and intelligent. You may not agree with the writer's points, but they are infinitely better considered, researched, and expressed than 99% of articles linked on this site, most of which border on illiterate. It certainly isn'

• Bad Homo: How Musical Theatre Tested My Relationship: OUT.com  Jul 26 2016, 08:27:32 AM

Candidates for "Hugh" would be, I assume, one of two original cast members: 

Harry Bouvy

or Howard Kaye. 

Here, by the way, is a photo of the author. Bad Homo: How Musical Theatre Tested My Relationship: OUT.com  Jul 25 2016, 03:11:25 PM

Musicals are just a McGuffin here; the writer's "message" is that the boring older boyfriend who really likes him is a much better choice than the hot but self-obsessed fantasy man. A profound message that's NEVER been expressed before, right?

• Bad Homo: How Musical Theatre Tested My Relationship: OUT.com  Jul 25 2016, 02:55:30 PM

Subjectively, I found this essay to be high in Ick Value. Objectively, it's a good warning of the pitfalls of freshman-level comic/sentimental writing. However, I've no doubt that it (and the writer) will find some admirers.

• Ben Curtis, the  Jul 25 2016, 02:27:56 PM

Just because it's so hot today, I'm in a proofreading mood again.

To someone's credit, some of the goofs were actually corrected over the weekend; however, these remain:

It was a comedy/farce based on dinner shows with a Southerrn kitsch," (no open quote, and 2 "r"s in "Southern." And "kitsch" is still not a singular noun.)

He describes it as a work a la 

• Prince of Egypt Concert - Long Island  Jul 25 2016, 09:37:54 AM

"The same thing could be asked about The Lion King."

Wait, are you saying that there are people who think that animals should only be played by actors of color? That sounds.... kinda racist.

• Onward Victoria (1980) anyone see it?  Jul 22 2016, 04:15:23 PM

I liked the score and costumes. The set looked rather cheap, though, and the book was utterly deadly. Jill Eikenberry tried her best, but was just too bland an actress to front a Broadway musical; soap opera actor Michael Zaslow as her enemy/love interest was... a soap opera actor. Beth Austin as Victoria's sister had/sold the best number ("Respectable"/), but the big show tune was reserved for a non-character, Charlie Delmonico (Lenny Wolpe), and it had little to

• Prince of Egypt Concert - Long Island  Jul 22 2016, 03:41:41 PM

"Agreed. The actor who I threw out is of Middle Eastern."

Sounds great, but my caveat that no one knows for sure what Egyptians looked like during this time is a really important one. It might just be safer to use puppets.

• Prince of Egypt Concert - Long Island  Jul 22 2016, 03:24:01 PM

Not that anyone really cares, but  for the last 60 years or so, most anthropologists have rejected the notion of race as having any validity in the study of human biology. That said, the Egyptians of this period weren't black; they were probably more closely related to people of the Middle East than to those of Central Africa. So those who may be deeply concerned about racial accuracy in these theatrical presentations might want to consider calling for a cast with heri

• MOTOWN Will Conclude Broadway Run Early on July 31  Jul 22 2016, 10:40:22 AM

"This is incorrect; the production was a limited run from August to October, and later extended until December."

Ah - my mistake, you're mostly right. The extension, however, was through January 20, but the producers cut their losses early, and closed on December 20.

Anyway, it was still a major flop.

• MOTOWN Will Conclude Broadway Run Early on July 31  Jul 22 2016, 10:24:59 AM

"Accept Bring it On for what it was- the Golden Boy of Broadway was involved- Lin, of course, and they got a Tony nod for best musical and extended- grosses aside, it was a success and much of that cast still works. I'm not saying it was a great show, but it was a success."

Bring It On was a commercial run, so it didn't "extend" at all. In fact, it closed after only 6 months, at a total loss of its investment. So calling it a "

• Thoroughly Modern Millie - OBC Question  Jul 21 2016, 03:07:43 PM

There's a subject for debate: can one make jokes about racism without trafficking in racist jokes?

Like all such questions, you would get different answers from different people, all of them subjective. There could never be agreement, and no one would be "right."

• Thoroughly Modern Millie - OBC Question  Jul 21 2016, 11:11:54 AM

Other than making Sutton Foster a star, I found most of Millie to be little more than serviceable. Several book alterations, such as matching Dorothy with Ching Ho, and Trevor with Bun Foo at the end, felt arbitrary. Worst of all (I felt), incorporating period songs (some with not-very-good new lyrics) undercut Tesori's work as the composer; she could easily have written some songs in the vein of G&S, Victor Herbert, and others, and the score would th

• Ben Curtis, the  Jul 21 2016, 08:29:46 AM

Looks like someone fixed the "Louiseville, Kentucky" goof, but left these:

Lillian Hallamn

idiot savant (applied to doltish character, Oscar Hubbard, who has nothing of the savant about him.)

It was a comedy/farce based on dinner shows with a Southerrn kitsch," (no open quote, and 2 "r"s in "Southern?" And "kitsch" as a singular noun?)

• Ben Curtis, the  Jul 20 2016, 03:50:01 PM

Odd little piece about a charismatic performer who seems to be perpetually on the fringe.

Thoughts/questions:

1) Oscar Hubbard is absolutely not an "idiot savant;" he is merely an idiot (in both Another Part of the Forest and The Little Foxes).

2) There is, I'm pretty sure, no such place as "Louiseville, Kentucky," but there is a Louisville. (Is a little proofreading too much to ask?)

• Trouble brewing at Theatre For a New Audience  Jul 14 2016, 12:08:26 PM

I've seen about 40 productions of Hamlet over the years, I think, and only once was it done with no cuts. That was a production by a group called Arden Party (now defunct, I think) in the early 90s in a basement on the Lower East Side.

I thought it was brilliant, and an entirely different play from what we usually see - in particular, most Hamlets would be better titled All About Hamlet, as the

• June Moon  Jul 12 2016, 11:35:37 AM

It might be a bit big and lightweight for Broadway, but there was a very successful Off Broadway revival in 1997-98, with Cynthia Nixon, Robert Joy, Becky Ann Baker, etc.

• The Goat, or Who Is Sylvia?  Jul 5 2016, 04:02:56 PM

I saw it twice, both times with the original cast. The first time, late in previews, I thought it was a wild dark comedy, and the audience was laughing like they were at Noises Off. The second time, after the reviews had told audiences that it was significant, there was barely a laugh to be heard all night, although the performances hadn't changed.

I've never before or since seen the same play received so differently by different audiences - the

• Off-Broadway is losing a theater  Jul 5 2016, 01:22:43 PM

Commercial Off-Broadway has been pretty dead for several years, except for non-verbal spectacle acts like StompDe La Guarda, or Blue Man Group. There hasn't been a financially successful commercial book musical (like Little Shop of Horrors) or play Off Broadway since I don't know when.

BROADWAYWORLD TV