Profile for newintown

Edit Your Profile |

BroadwayWorld newintown
Click to Enlarge
Member Name: newintown
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Birthday: - - -
Favorite Show(s): A Catered Affair
A Little Night Music
Avenue Q
Chicago
Company
Follies
Grand Hotel
Grey Gardens
Grind
Kismet
Lady in the Dark
Nine
Pippin
Promises, Promises
Street Scene
Sunday in the Park with George
Sweet Charity
The Drowsy Chaperone
The Light in the Piazza
The Mystery of Edwin Drood
Titanic

Favorite Performer(s):

Most Recent Message Board Posts:
  • AMERICAN PSYCHO CLOSING  May 27 2016, 12:23:50 PM

"Officially American Psycho appears to only credit the novel as source material with no mention of the film, so technically this is not a film to stage adaptation, but rather a novel to stage adaptation. (Of course, it does pull several images directly from the film, but the screenplay/film are not credited.)"

That's much like the disingenuous (but legally required) claim that A Gentleman's Guide To Love And Murder was not based u

• AMERICAN PSYCHO CLOSING  May 27 2016, 09:55:24 AM

I confess that I had absolutely no interest in seeing this, as I loathed both the novel and film. But I found it interesting that a few friends who gush over 99.9% of the shows that they see simply despised this one, calling it the most amateurish thing they'd ever seen on Broadway.

That said, good luck to everyone involved on their next projects.

• Riedel on Jesse Tyler Ferguson  May 27 2016, 08:16:50 AM

That entire little piece reads like it was copied and pasted from a publicist's release.

• when shows post closing notices....is meeting with employees first required....  May 26 2016, 08:13:11 AM

"I would hope that actors/actresses would be told in advance, it is the right thing to do so people can get on with their career."

Because actors usually have their next job lined up in less than a week?

• Broadway Investment Fund  May 25 2016, 02:52:17 PM

Since the great majority of Broadway shows close at a loss, this "fund" doesn't sound like a likely vehicle to choose if any investors are hoping for a profit. And it seems to me that if someone is willing to throw some money away, they're going to want to choose the show upon which they'll lose that money.

In other words, how many people do you think there are who would happily give $2,000 to someone and say "invest this in any show you like?"

• “I’m about family entertainment. I’m not about having sex on stage.”  May 25 2016, 02:31:05 PM

101 Dalmatians? That atrocious piece of crap died two months ahead of schedule way back in 2010.

• Broadway Investment Fund  May 25 2016, 02:26:28 PM

I suppose that, as a way to part fools and their money, it would make a change from the usual Nigerian Prince scam...

• Riedel on Hamilton not breaking Tony record for wins  May 25 2016, 09:47:33 AM

Merely because it's a dull morning, I'll take the time to point out one more example in the Endless List of Examples of Riedel's Laziness and Bad Writing: I adored Savion Glover's Shuffle Along choreography, but for Riedel to say that Glover "brilliantly re-created the original musical’s dances while giving them a modern spin," is just idiotic. Glover's work is 100% his own; the original staging to Shuffle 

• NSFW American Psycho Instagram  May 25 2016, 08:08:32 AM

I'm finding it difficult to imagine a workplace where these photos would be deemed "not safe"... perhaps a convent?

• Pop stars you want to write a show  May 23 2016, 04:23:39 PM

"New John Lennon material?" Via seance?

• Pop stars you want to write a show  May 23 2016, 01:14:34 PM

I imagine that John Flansburgh and John Linnell and the rest of THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS could write a really good theatrical score; like Tim Minchin, they have a great facility with words, a sense of wit, and are adept with melodic and harmonic invention, things that I think are musts for a musical theatre writer.

• THE BEST LITTLE WHOREHOUSE IN TEXAS ending(s)  May 23 2016, 08:23:39 AM

I played the show back in '85, and Act I ended with the whorehouse raid - the last full song of Act I was "The Aggie Song", and the last song in Act II was "Bus From Amarillo." I think it's a perfect song for Miss Mona, and a perfect bittersweet ending to a bittersweet show. I hate the ridiculous happy ending created for the movie. It's saccharine and Disney-ish.

I also know the actress who originally sang "Bus" in the Actors

• Favorite Orchestral Parts  May 23 2016, 08:15:22 AM

Two favorites:

The ascending celesta scale under "I dim the lights..." in "Losing My Mind (an invention of Tunick's, according to Sondheim), and

The entrance of the full orchestra in "Getting Tall" from Nine, at the end of Little Guido's simple solo version.

• Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!  May 19 2016, 12:43:18 PM

Charity's essential quality, and one I've never seen in Foster (absolutely terrific though she is) is pathos.

Hers will, I can imagine, be a sweet performance, adept, professional, and vocally stronger than it needs to be. But I can't imagine her conveying that ephemeral mix of naturally common, coarse, faded, but always hopeful that both Giulietta Masina and Gwen Verdon possessed. It will be a difference between skill and magic.

• New Conservatory Theatre's ON A CLEAR DAY YOU CAN SEE FOREVER  May 19 2016, 11:54:23 AM

The revisal was not only stupid, it was unbearably boring. Melinda had absolutely no story at all, and her songs were irrelevant interpolations. The faux-wacky-60s-a-la-Laugh-In sets, costumes, and staging were DOA. There was, ultimately, no point to the gay storyline, as the shrink showed no attraction whatsoever to Davy (even though logic would indicate that what he physically saw during the love scenes was Davy, not Melinda-in-Davy). 

The only th

• Riedel on saving Hammerstein's home  May 19 2016, 11:45:37 AM

There is a germ of an interesting piece here, but it typifies Riedel's sophomoric and lazy writing habits - where is the history of the house? How and when did Hammerstein acquire it? How and why did it leave the family's ownership (there are descendants around, why not ask them)? Why not get a quote from Ted Chapin about it?

But you can't really blame the little guy for being a sloppy, lazy writer - I doubt that he gets paid even as much as a good c

• Black Actors In WHite Roles & Vice Versa  May 18 2016, 11:38:29 AM

I've seen excellent productions of:

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? with an actor of color as Nick,

Hedda Gabler with an actor of color as Judge Brack,

The Beggar's Opera with an actor of color as Polly,

The Caine Mutiny Court Marshall with actors of color as Maryk, Southard, and Lundeen,

Lysystata with actors of color as Lysystrata and several others,

Anything Goes&

• David Hyde Pierce to Join Bette Midler in HELLO DOLLY  May 17 2016, 03:37:02 PM

I, too, think Pierce will do a fine job. Horace is not, as already pointed out, "blue collar." He's a textbook petite bourgeoisie. And most important, he's funny. Simmons would (I think) be far too butch and lower class for the role (and he's never particularly funny, either). If the audience thinks that he might actually hit (and physically hurt) Cornelius, Barnaby, Ambrose, or Ermengarde, the comedy flies out the window.

It is a bit odd that the actor playing Ho

• Robber Bridegroom a perplexing choice for a New York revival (review)  May 11 2016, 02:03:49 PM

Every point you make (except for simple #7) is ridiculous and nonsensical.

1) Derogatory use of the word "pastiche" is reductive and stupid; every musician and composer I know cringes when they hear it used thus, because it means that a musical illiterate is trying to sound smart (generally at the expense of someone who actually knows how to create music). Form is form; not every tango is a pastiche of Weill or Piazzolla; not every song with a back

• Create The  May 11 2016, 11:22:40 AM

A former nominating committee member once said that the replacement award was ultimately deemed pointless, as very few replacements in Broadway shows do more than (basically) recreate or do only a slight variation upon their predecessor's performance (it's possible that Mazzie is one of the rare exceptions). It would be a struggle to find four worthy nominees each season.

BROADWAYWORLD TV

COUNTDOWN CLOCK