Advertisement

Profile for newintown

Edit Your Profile |

BroadwayWorld newintown
Click to Enlarge
Member Name: newintown
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Birthday: - - -
Favorite Show(s): A Catered Affair
A Little Night Music
Avenue Q
Chicago
Company
Follies
Grand Hotel
Grey Gardens
Grind
Kismet
Lady in the Dark
Nine
Pippin
Promises, Promises
Street Scene
Sunday in the Park with George
Sweet Charity
The Drowsy Chaperone
The Light in the Piazza
The Mystery of Edwin Drood
Titanic

Favorite Performer(s):

Most Recent Message Board Posts:
  • Are there really NEW investors?  Feb 11 2016, 02:44:13 PM

Those seeking updates are advised to create Google alerts with no set ending date. But here's a tidbit - Ben Sprecher hasn't had a show on Broadway since the 2009 nine-performance debacle Brighton Beach Memoirs - remember that? It was intended to run in rep with Broadway Bound (which didn't even make it to a first preview).

People have bounced back from awful financial disasters before - will Sprecher?

• Nerds the musical to open at the Longacre theater this March!  Feb 11 2016, 12:43:39 PM

Perhaps there's been a Rebecca-style "snag" in the fundraising?

• DISASTER(ous) Previews  Feb 11 2016, 07:34:43 AM

"I know this thread has already moved on, but Seth is quite a good accompanist/pianist. So I wouldn't say he's talentless..."

Right. But no one called him "talentless;" the phrase used was that he's not "exceptionally talented," that is, worthy of talent-based celebrity. He's a perfectly acceptable accompanist, but how many accompanists are celebrities? Note that it has been acknowledged that there are some who find him

• DISASTER(ous) Previews  Feb 10 2016, 09:13:33 AM

"I venture that the reason all of the songs are snippets is because to sing  any longer means to pay royalties."

I recall once hearing that royalties must be paid if you sing or play more than 5 notes. So I'm sure they're paying royalties on all the songs credited in this show.

But yes, clearly the dream is to license this skit and try to milk some income out of it.

• HUGHIE Previews  Feb 10 2016, 07:47:24 AM

The star needs to learn his lines. He only went to the water-cooler (where the prompter is perfectly audible almost to the back of the house) three times, but Whitaker stumbles and stammers quite a lot. There are occasional moments of life there, but for most of the evening, I would say that he's not acting so much as just trying to get the words out. It's a slow, flabby, passive, and monotonous performance. He also employs such odd and repetitive vocal patterns (he rarely allows more

• DISASTER(ous) Previews  Feb 10 2016, 07:36:33 AM

This may be my favorite Whizzer review ever. I confess, I've been thinking, from bits and pieces seen and heard, that this sounds like an all-"star" cabaret act straight from Don't Tell Mama to Broadway. Perhaps it was the inexpensive nature of the endeavor that convinced a few somewhat-experiened producers to take it on. I do wonder what the salaries are.

I've been fascinated by Rudetsky for quite some time - like a certain breed of celebrity from the

• Tracy Letts'  Feb 9 2016, 05:09:46 PM

I don't remember it being a comedy - more of a drama-lite. My strongest recollection was that Michael McKean was very relaxed, and the ending telegraphed itself from thousands of miles away. Enjoyable, but not particularly memorable.

• American Psycho OBCR released 3/25  Feb 8 2016, 03:20:27 PM

Hmmm. Perhaps more reasoning behind "That's actually a terrible example" would help. The point is, it's far from unusual for a London cast recording to be the only cast recording.

There are also exceptions: Matilda, Cats, Evita. But it seems there are more London transfers that do not do 2nd recordings - add Blood Brothers, Starlight Express, Aspects of Love, The Woman in White, etc.

• American Psycho OBCR released 3/25  Feb 8 2016, 02:08:29 PM

It would probably need to be an unusually big hit to justify the expense - after all, Phantom, Miss Saigon, Mamma Mia, Mary Poppins, Lansbury's Gypsy, Sister Act all did London recordings first, followed by no OBCR.

• Grease Live! Official Thread  Feb 8 2016, 12:35:24 PM

"...but rally points toward the transformation at the end of the show, which is not Sandy selling herself out as the movie and later watered down stagings give us, but rather Sandy and Danny realizing that they both fall somewhere in the middle and they meet there, rather that trying to put on the guise of the good girl and the bad boy - being a good girl doesn't mean that Sandy can't be hot and have a little fun, and being a troublemaker doesn't mean that Danny does

• BLACKBIRD Previews  Feb 5 2016, 11:02:29 AM

Wicked and Act of God (LA) are open and running. But for The Humans and Blackbird, he must be juggling quite a calendar (although it seems unlikely that The Humans, as a remount, takes up much of his time).

I wonder if he's needed to help Act of God move into its San Fran house in March?

• BLACKBIRD Previews  Feb 5 2016, 10:14:54 AM

How many directors have two plays running in previews at the same time on Broadway?

• American Psycho OBCR released 3/25  Feb 5 2016, 08:42:03 AM

It appears to be the OLCR... Which makes sense as the first US preview isn't until March 24.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=american+psycho

• Grease Live! Official Thread  Feb 4 2016, 02:54:30 PM

I've always assumed the movie was set in LA, as the beach looks like Malibu, and they hold the drag race in the LA River.

But Rydell, in the original stage version, is supposed to be in Chicago.

• Grease Live! Official Thread  Feb 3 2016, 11:39:22 AM

It's true that sex (as an adolescent obsession, not as an adult topic) is a major component of Grease. But I would still rather see a child watching that than playing a game like Mortal Kombat that features a casual disregard for life and a goal of killing as many people and creatures as possible. That's what I call inappropriate, not two clothed adults pressing close to one another or mouthing childish "obscenities."

• Grease Live! Official Thread  Feb 3 2016, 09:40:31 AM

The technical achievement really was the best part of the project, particularly after the technical flatness and clumsiness of both Peter Pan and The Wiz. I would imagine that Hairspray will follow this format, particularly as so many of the musical numbers would lend themselves to spectacular technical transitions.

• Buried Child previews  Feb 3 2016, 08:03:03 AM

It's hard to believe it's been 20 years since the production at the Atkinson. And that it only ran 72 performances. Harder to believe that it's been 37 years since I first saw this play (in an excellent regional production).

• Grease Live! Official Thread  Feb 1 2016, 03:19:07 PM

"Recognizing that Grease has non-child-appropriate content isn't expressing a "point of view"; it's just recognizing the reality of the situation and utilizing common sense in doing so."

You may very well see it as "common sense;" you should realize that others see it as prudish, repressed, puritanical, priggish, square, Victorian, unenlightened, etc.

• Grease Live! Official Thread  Feb 1 2016, 02:23:50 PM

"This isn't about being a "helicoptor [sic] parent" or the "morality police"; it's about recognizing the common sense wisdom of what is or is not appropriate for kids."

And again, you make the error of assuming that your point of view represents some universal notion of "common sense."

• Grease Live! Official Thread  Feb 1 2016, 12:25:32 PM

DigificWriter, you make the error that Helicopter Parents (and others) make by assuming that there IS such a thing as "universally appropriate for kids," as well as the error that you (and those who think like you) are the person who decides what is universally appropriate for kids.

BROADWAYWORLD TV