Profile for newintown

Edit Your Profile |

BroadwayWorld newintown
Click to Enlarge
Member Name: newintown
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Birthday: - - -
Favorite Show(s): A Catered Affair
A Little Night Music
Avenue Q
Chicago
Company
Follies
Grand Hotel
Grey Gardens
Grind
Kismet
Lady in the Dark
Nine
Pippin
Promises, Promises
Street Scene
Sunday in the Park with George
Sweet Charity
The Drowsy Chaperone
The Light in the Piazza
The Mystery of Edwin Drood
Titanic

Favorite Performer(s):

Most Recent Message Board Posts:
  • Is there any way the Broadway Grosses can state the performances to date?  Sep 26 2016, 03:54:53 PM

Or check ibdb.com.

• LaChiusa  Sep 26 2016, 01:08:17 PM

Esoteric: "intended for or likely to be understood by only a small number of people with a specialized knowledge or interest."

I wouldn't say that applies to LaChiusa's work. His musical palette is completely tonal, and his characters tend to baldly sing exactly what's on their minds (no "In Buddy's Eyes" for him). 

I wouldn't say that he actually has a definable "style;" I'd never listen to a song and s

• Vocal Dubbing in the Film Version of INTO THE WOODS  Sep 23 2016, 02:14:44 PM

The real problem, I think, is that doctors are too quick to prescribe pills that some people just should avoid.

• Best Broadway Male Actor  Sep 22 2016, 10:59:37 AM

"Doesn't Jonathan have 3 credits? He was in a play at some point."

He's done a few plays Off Broadway. Other than Spring Awakening and Hamilton, his only other Broadway credit is Swing/Understudy in In My Life.

• Best Broadway Male Actor  Sep 22 2016, 08:16:01 AM

I think you cast your net over a small, young audience with very little long-term memory...

• Big stars who disappeared  Sep 22 2016, 07:58:35 AM

I can only think of a few true "big stars" who disappeared:

Kevin Bacon in Hollow Man
    Claude Rains in The Invisible Man
    Dean Jones in Mr. Superinvisible
    Elizabeth Montgomery (frequently) on Bewitched
    Daniel Radcliffe in Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

Many other actors have left the business, though, usually due to a lack of demand for their

• Fired from new off-B'way show  Sep 21 2016, 02:32:47 PM

#BlackBoxMatter

The Bialystock & Bloom Home For Questionably Financed Theatre Projects

• Fired from new off-B'way show  Sep 21 2016, 01:42:04 PM

Like assuming the worst about the producers?

• Fired from new off-B'way show  Sep 21 2016, 01:13:58 PM

And before making any hasty moral "decisions," be aware that it's quite possible that there may not be any connection at all between the actor's termination and his safety complaints. All anyone has heard here is an unverified rumor from a friend of the actor.

• Fired from new off-B'way show  Sep 21 2016, 12:31:07 PM

Here's the show's official description, typographical errors all left intact (I can't find mention of a producer anywhere):

Molasses in January  is a new original musical play for all ages There are fun filled musical numbers, dance fights and light explosions. (Who doesn't love a good dance fight? I'm not so sure about light explosions...)

Spanning from 1914 to 1919, we see Anna, our protagonist, struggling to raise her two children

• Fired from new off-B'way show  Sep 21 2016, 12:17:06 PM

Interesting. It appears that your friend is hinting that their termination is connected to their safety complaints. They should file an official complaint with Equity (if they are a member).

One small consolation - as this show will do its five performances in the little 60-seat Black Box at the Davenport, it would have been an Off-Off-Broadway debut, not Off-Broadway.

UPDATE: I misspoke; the show is performing on 5 consecutive Tuesday nights, when the regular

• CIty Kitchen food hall at Row NYC  Sep 21 2016, 11:31:48 AM

The lines at Shake Shack are truly hilarious - like lemmings heading for the sea.

As for City Kitchen - I went once, but will probably never go again. There are too many better places in the area (at least, better for me). I found it to be overpriced, overcrowded, and not of particularly good quality.

• re: Bernadette Peters as 'Dolly' in HELLO, DOLLY  Sep 21 2016, 08:33:14 AM

I'd love to see 70-ish Peters do the matinees of Dolly, with her own rack of Bob Mackie bosom-accentuating gowns.

• THE FRONT PAGE Previews  Sep 21 2016, 08:31:27 AM

How odd, these reports that Act I is getting few laughs - The Front Page is no star vehicle; the original leads, Lee Tracy and Osgood Perkins are mostly forgotten today, and weren't particularly big names at the time of the original production - each had only one successful Broadway show to their names at the time (Tracy is seen in some very old films on TCM occasionally, and Perkins is remembered only as the father of Anthony Perkins).

The ensemble sho

• Characters in Lobby during Intermission?  Sep 20 2016, 03:08:29 PM

When Spelling Bee was in previews at Second Stage, Jose Llana would sell candy in the lobby during intermission in character as Chip. He would get more and more upset, because he had been cut and forced to sell candy. It was a good set up for "My Unfortunate Erection" in Act II. But then they cut the intermission completely before the show opened.

Someone earlier in this thread wrote about intermission for their production of Spelling Bee; but

• What went wrong with  Sep 20 2016, 12:19:28 PM

No, I think ALW pulled poor Zippel down to his level, forcing him to write doggerel like:

I believe my heart
    It believes in you
    It's telling me
    That what I see
    Is completely true

• What went wrong with  Sep 20 2016, 11:43:50 AM

Indifferent-to-bad word of mouth; audiences didn't come.

My opinion of the quality? It was standard ALW floperetta fare, with mindlessly simple and repetitive music, strangely bad work from a usually good lyricist, an indifferent book by a not-bad playwright with no musical experience, and a set that made many audience members nauseous. What's not to love?

• Shuffle Along Cast Album?  Sep 19 2016, 04:33:54 PM

Arguing that a recording of this show would rescue the score of Shuffle Along doesn't really make sense - the score of Shuffle Along, Or The Making of the Musical Sensation of 1921 and All That Followed isn't the same score as Shuffle Along, not to mention that the arrangements and orchestrations for the handful of songs that are from the original are so different as to make them practically different songs.

• Carnival in Flanders  Sep 19 2016, 10:43:48 AM

ibdb lists these as the other songs in the score (I've not heard of any of them):

Ring the Bell
    The Very Necessary You              
    It's a Fine Old Institution
    I'm One of Your Admirers
    The Plundering of the Town
    The Stronger Sex
    The Sudden Thrill
    It's an Old Spanish Custom
    A Seventeen Gun Salute
    You're Dead!
    Take the Word of a Gentleman

• Bette's Dolly Cast Uninspired?  Sep 19 2016, 09:40:50 AM

"Based on the movie Irene, I do NOT see Annaleigh as Irene."

Well, the movie of Dolly has as much to do with the stage show as the movie of Grease has with its source. But I agree that Margherita would mine a lot of laughs with Irene in a way that Baldwin (and most past Irenes) will/have not.

BROADWAYWORLD TV

Backstage with Richard Ridge
Back to Falsettoland w/ OBC - Passing the Torch
Backstage Bite
TV Exclusive: BACKSTAGE BITE with ALADDIN's Rodney Ingram!
Turning the Tables
Binge on TURNING THE TABLES!
  Chewing the Scenery with Randy Rainbow
TV:-LuPone's Autobio - Lands EVITA!
KID CRITICS
TV: KID CRITICS Swept Away at PHANTOM
BROADWAY SESSIONS
BWW TV Exclusive: THE LION KING Cast Roars at Broadway Sessions