Profile for newintown

Edit Your Profile |

BroadwayWorld newintown
Click to Enlarge
Member Name: newintown
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Birthday: - - -
Favorite Show(s): A Catered Affair
A Little Night Music
Avenue Q
Chicago
Company
Follies
Grand Hotel
Grey Gardens
Grind
Kismet
Lady in the Dark
Nine
Pippin
Promises, Promises
Street Scene
Sunday in the Park with George
Sweet Charity
The Drowsy Chaperone
The Light in the Piazza
The Mystery of Edwin Drood
Titanic

Favorite Performer(s):

Most Recent Message Board Posts:
  • Why was the Gigi musical so short lived?  May 2 2016, 10:00:17 AM

I thought it was a cheap, vulgar, and stupid adaptation of a better movie and even better novella. I can't say if that was why it closed so quickly, though.

• Razzle Dazzle- Michael Riedel's book  May 1 2016, 11:48:19 AM

Browsing through this book at a reminder bin today, I noted more that it's mostly a re-hashing of several earlier books (bios of the Shuberts, Bennett, etc.), with little to no interesting new info (that I can discern).

It also appears (from a 10 minute browse) to be unusually slovenly written and edited, with ridiculous errors like calling famous choreographer Onna White "Oona," or claiming that George Jean Nathan called David Belasco "the Rasputin of Broadway&q

• Hazel - a new musical opens at Drury Lane outside Chicago  Apr 13 2016, 09:15:15 AM

I haven't seen this production, and can only speak about last year's workshop. The book is a bore, except when it's idiotic. It feels as though several writers took turns on alternating scenes without actually reading each others' work, so the story and characters are mindlessly inconsistent. Bonkers Johnson and his story make absolutely no sense. Nor does the manipulated "problem" with Mrs. B wanting to pursue a career. The score is nothing more than serviceable, wi

• Joel Grey  Apr 13 2016, 09:07:06 AM

"The man grew up in a different era which pushed him into an outwardly heternormative (sic) lifestyle..."

This is far from accurate, and I'm not sure you read the book, if you think that's the case. Grey makes it quite clear throughout the book that he sees himself as bisexual with a slight preference for men, and that he had many truly fulfilling emotional and sexual relationships with women, including his wife, with whom he enjoyed a true marr

• Charles Busch's CLEOPATRA  Apr 8 2016, 11:46:23 AM

"Have you ever seen any of them in revival without Busch in the starring role?"

I saw David Drake as the 1st replacement in the original Vampire Lesbians and he was, of course, terrific. I've seen regional productions of Psycho Beach Party and Red Scare on Sunset with women in Busch's roles, and they were not close to competent.

• Charles Busch's CLEOPATRA  Apr 8 2016, 08:49:52 AM

I'm with Whizzer - Charles Busch is a NYC theatre treasure. I've been going to see his shows ever since Pardon My Inquisition, or Kiss The Blood Off My Castanets played the old Limbo Lounge back in the 80s.

Cleopatra, like Judith of Bethulia, is classic-Busch, bringing his own unique synthesis of himself foremost and Mae West/Paulette Goddard/Tallulah Bankhead to an epic, Bernhardt-style narrative. It's lots of fun, and Jen Cody, Andy Halliday

• How old is Norma?  Apr 6 2016, 01:12:54 PM

"Diet, smoking, drinking and general life style can age you Roxy."

And lots and lots of surgery can keep you looking what some call "young."

• How old is Norma?  Apr 6 2016, 01:11:30 PM

If Norma is 70 in 1950 (when the story takes place), then she would have been in her late 40s-mid 50s during the silent movie days. This detail only matters, however, to audience members who are paying attention to they story, which lets the majority off.

• My cast for a possible NY Philharmonic production of  Apr 6 2016, 12:59:14 PM

Norma Desmond - Maggie Smith
    Joe Gillis - Justin Bieber
    Max von Mayerling - John Cullum
    Betty Schaefer - Gaga

• How old is Norma?  Apr 6 2016, 12:55:26 PM

The mere fact that we call women "brave" who allow themselves to age (like Maggie Smith, Helen Mirren, or Judi Dench) says something about how our values (as a society) have not much evolved.

• How old is Norma?  Apr 6 2016, 12:41:46 PM

"There's nothing tragic about being fifty - not unless you try to be twenty-five."

Well, that's an attitude that seems to have changed completely (viz. Salma Hayek, Robin Wright, Helena Bonham Carter, Tea Leoni, Halle Berry, Dean Cain, Matthew Fox, Michael Imperioli, Peter Krause, Brooke Shields, etc. - although some of them are probably aiming more for thirty than twenty-five).

• Thoughts on the Hamilton non-whites notice  Apr 6 2016, 07:59:57 AM

That article is very, very good; even better is reading Monteiro's piece in The Public Historian: http://tph.ucpress.edu/content/38/1/89

• Encores Cast -- Do I Hear a Waltz?  Apr 5 2016, 10:23:15 AM

Encores has once more cast a soprano in a belter role - after Ebersole in Applause, O'Hara in Bells Are Ringing, and Keenan-Bolger in Merrily, I'm beginning to wonder if anyone there knows anything about the human voice... But then, perhaps most audience members don't care about how or where the score sits in the star's voice as long as they like the performer.

• Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/3/16  Apr 4 2016, 04:33:45 PM

Hogan, do you mean only an initial investment, or do you think additional injections of cash have been needed (a la Honeymoon In Vegas)?

• Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/3/16  Apr 4 2016, 03:25:39 PM

I wonder how much money Disaster will have lost when it ends its limited run - and how much of that they believe they're going to get back from amateur and stock rights?

• Frank DiLella  Apr 4 2016, 02:41:34 PM

What? Did something go amiss during the copy-and-paste?

• Frank DiLella  Apr 4 2016, 02:33:21 PM

Official bio from NY1 (http://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/on-air/2015/03/13/frank-dilella.html):

Frank DiLella’s fawning celebrity interviews, along with his superficial reporting of the theatrical scene for NY1, have helped make him a trusted friend and toady within the theater and entertainment communities, as wel

• Thoughts on the Hamilton non-whites notice  Apr 2 2016, 03:03:52 PM

This is not a conversation, because dissent (on this topic, at least) is not permitted. White people should not express an opinion; if they absolutely feel that they must, total agreement with the accepted dogma is the only acceptable expression - but it really is best for whites to abstain from comment.

As we all know, whites own the entire world. China is owned by whites; Japan and North Korea are owned by whites. All of Central and South America are owned by whites

• Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016  Apr 1 2016, 10:17:25 AM

"Gotcha. I only ask because I admittedly don't know much about this show and in the casting article it mentioned that the show was a "new production" which combines the 1981 "March of the Falsettos" and the 1990 sequel "Falsettoland." I am very intrigued!"

There's nothing new about that at all - the prior Broadway version was a combo of March of the Falsettos and Falsettoland with the  interpolati

• 1776 Previews Tonight  Apr 1 2016, 07:48:42 AM

We easily sit through 2.5 hour movies (although movie theatre seats are generally vastly more confortable than live theatre seats). I prefer Follies and Pippin without an intermission, too, but it requires the actors to pick it up and abandon much-loved pauses.

BROADWAYWORLD TV