Profile for newintown

Edit Your Profile |

BroadwayWorld newintown
Click to Enlarge
Member Name: newintown
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Birthday: - - -
Favorite Show(s): A Catered Affair
A Little Night Music
Avenue Q
Chicago
Company
Follies
Grand Hotel
Grey Gardens
Grind
Kismet
Lady in the Dark
Nine
Pippin
Promises, Promises
Street Scene
Sunday in the Park with George
Sweet Charity
The Drowsy Chaperone
The Light in the Piazza
The Mystery of Edwin Drood
Titanic

Favorite Performer(s):

Most Recent Message Board Posts:
  • THE BOYS IN THE BAND Broadway Revival - Spring 2018?  Jun 24 2017, 11:18:24 AM

To those indulging in dream casting, remember that no one in this show is past his early 30s. Denis O'Hare could play one of their fathers.

Even with a cast of tv celebs, I suspect that this won't be universally well received. It conveys a simplistic and unattractive message about gay life that straights still like to hear, but not many gay folk do.

• Broadway League Threatens Lawsuits Against Casting Directors  Jun 22 2017, 02:09:10 PM

"...they also learn in up-close detail exactly how the casting process works, which is something you can only learn by watching it unfold."

Having worked in a few casting offices many years ago (briefly), I can vouch that it's not brain surgery; in fact, although a trained monkey probably couldn't do it, it's not skilled labor. Often, it's the refuge of an actor or director who couldn't succeed in their first chosen profession, but who still wants

• 1984 publicity stunt  Jun 22 2017, 01:04:14 PM

Typical bourgeois American prudery about "protecting" children from reality. Heck, I know people who call 19 year olds "children."

• Chess revival?  Jun 22 2017, 09:33:25 AM

"Follies flopped all three times on Broadway, which is kinda mega in its own right."

I should probably define terms, you're right. Mega-flop, to me, means a show that closes fast (Chess ran for two months; Follies for a year and two months), and was also poorly received by critics. Follies, as we all know, is generally extremely highly regarded. Frank Rich has

• Chess revival?  Jun 21 2017, 04:25:14 PM

"Tell that to producers of Follies, which keeps coming back for some weird reason."

Except Follies was never a mega-flop, as Chess was.

• ENCORES 25  Jun 21 2017, 12:08:44 PM

I subscribed from the first season through 2014, but abandoned it after that, because:

1) earlier seasons sort of followed a mission of presenting scores that either hadn't been recorded (or hadn't been recorded well), or that most living theatre-goers had had little-to-no chance of hearing done live. As they drifted further and further from that paradigm, my interest waned;

2) as the years went on, Encores began amplifying/miking the orchestra more and more, resulting i

• Chess revival?  Jun 20 2017, 02:51:53 PM

I think if you're a good person, and eat your vegetables, and every night you say a little prayer that there'll always be producers who are dumb enough to miss the fact that reviving mega-flops never results in a hit - maybe then you'll get your wish.

• The End of Indecent  Jun 20 2017, 12:35:47 PM

I enjoyed the production enormously - the play itself, however (the writing) felt a bit clumsy, and was sometimes obtuse or vague.

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

For instance - a big deal is made of cutting the rain scene when the play moves to Broadway; some of the cast fight against it, but they seem to lose. One actress says that she wasn

• Indecent Closing  Jun 14 2017, 04:29:14 PM

Far be it from me to point out the errors in your argument, but it should be noted that there have been many Off Broadway works that have had significant extended life without ever having been on Broadway (including Vogel's How I Learned To Drive). A short list would include Little Shop of HorrorsMarch of the FalsettosThree Tall WomenThe Miss Firecracker ContestA Coupla White Chicks Sittin Aro

• Indecent Closing  Jun 14 2017, 04:02:31 PM

"...but of course Broadway is nowhere near the best of New York or American theatre."

THIS cannot be said enough. The best plays today are to be found at regional theatres and Off Broadway. Sometimes they transfer to an uptown commercial run, but Broadway is, for the most part, tourist fodder.

• Indecent Closing  Jun 14 2017, 03:28:26 PM

Exactly, M.O.A.I. - we liberals believe that we are immune from knee-jerk responses, and it's far from true, when a party line is espoused that basically implies that the work of women artists and artists of color are beyond reproach, because not only can any criticism of such work only come from misogyny and/or racism, not bestowing all available commercial awards upon these works is also a work of fascism and white patriarchy.

• Indecent Closing  Jun 14 2017, 03:20:38 PM

I think it might be verging on a kind of paranoia to say that Vogel's prior plays were not produced on Broadway because she's a woman. And, personally, I thought Hnath's play was the better of the two. I haven't seen Oslo, but Rogers has been plugging away for 25 or so years and this is his Broadway debut - what's the excuse for that?

• Indecent Closing  Jun 14 2017, 03:07:22 PM

"I personally feel both shows deserved better from critics and audiences alike."

Again, plays don't deserve anything - you write them, produce them, put them out there, and they find an audience or they don't. Blaming others for one's own failure(s) is excessively immature and ultimately self-destructive.

• #TonysSoWhite ?  Jun 14 2017, 03:01:47 PM

"Outside of Audra McDonald, there's no real theatre superstar of color."

I think that's a bit hyperbolic, no? What about Brian Stokes Mitchell, James Earl Jones, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Cecily Tyson, LaChanze, Phylicia Rashad, Denzel Washington, Chita Rivera?

• Indecent Closing  Jun 14 2017, 01:13:19 PM

Brantley's review of Indecent  was not a pan, but it was mixed, and it was not a Critic's Pick.

But poor unfortunate Vogel blaming white men for the failure of her play is as sadly wooly-headed as Theresa Rebeck blaming misogyny for her numerous failures. Indecent has much to recommend; but, personally, I found it to be a triumph of wonderful staging and acting over rather shapeless and fuzzy writing. Nevertheless, it was cle

• Miss Saigon: the worst Broadway show I ever saw  Jun 14 2017, 09:14:29 AM

This thread is really satisfyingly hilarious.

• SWEAT Final Broadway Performance 6/25!  Jun 14 2017, 08:54:02 AM

"I think it is criminal that B'way cannot support a Pulitzer prize winning  play."

1) Pulitzers are awarded by a small group of journalists, none of whom are any more expert in theatre than several posters on this site. A Pulitzer is nice to have, but it doesn't confer any additional "quality" to a play/musical.

2) "B'way" has supported quite a number of Pulitzer winners, beginning with Why Marry?

• #TonysSoWhite ?  Jun 13 2017, 08:02:05 PM

If your life's work is attempting to predict winners of entertainment awards, I would recommend re-thinking your life choices.

• #TonysSoWhite ?  Jun 13 2017, 07:54:52 PM

Let's keep it simple: with entertainment awards, there is no such thing as a "front runner;" there are, however, many idiots who believe they can predict the future.

• SIX DEGREES OF SEPARATION CLOSING EARLY!  Jun 13 2017, 03:49:55 PM

It was OK, but nowhere near as terrific as the original production. It felt much like the lukewarm revival of The Heidi Chronicles.