Profile for newintown

Edit Your Profile |

BroadwayWorld newintown
Click to Enlarge
Member Name: newintown
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Birthday: - - -
Favorite Show(s): A Catered Affair
A Little Night Music
Avenue Q
Chicago
Company
Follies
Grand Hotel
Grey Gardens
Grind
Kismet
Lady in the Dark
Nine
Pippin
Promises, Promises
Street Scene
Sunday in the Park with George
Sweet Charity
The Drowsy Chaperone
The Light in the Piazza
The Mystery of Edwin Drood
Titanic

Favorite Performer(s):

Most Recent Message Board Posts:
  • David Yazbek wants a Full Monty revival  Feb 22 2017, 08:23:46 AM

"Comparing it to Side Show is not really the best example."

Your point is valid. Monty did run much longer than Side Show, at 770 performances. However, if it did recoup, it squeaked by, and its first national tour rather famously closed after only a few stops. Although it may be somewhat popular with amateur groups (I saw 1/2 of a community theatre production once, I recall), I think that few would call i

• Rants! (And Other Ways to Un-Twist the Tongue)  Feb 21 2017, 03:38:53 PM

Valere in David Hirson's La Bête goes on uncontrollably for about 30 minutes.

• David Yazbek wants a Full Monty revival  Feb 21 2017, 02:03:58 PM

Seems unlikely, but so did Side Show. And the poor guy does need money...

I wonder if his Bruce Lee and Animal House musicals are dead?

• SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE in Performances (The 2017 Revival)  Feb 21 2017, 08:30:02 AM

It's a very enjoyable revival, and one that still doesn't approach (for me) the brilliance of the original. Still, it's superior by far to the Menier and Kennedy Center revivals.

The orchestra, although a bit over-amplified for my taste, is perfect. A group of top musicians at the top of their game. My favorite performances are those of Ashley Park, Phillip Boykin, Ruthie Ann Miles, and Jenni Barber. These people all sing and act beautifully, and really make t

• Criterion Theatre Stage Right?  Feb 20 2017, 10:57:36 AM

Yes, yes, yes, we're all having a lousy Presidents Day, Hogan, but let's not let it make us all twatty.

• Criterion Theatre Stage Right?  Feb 20 2017, 09:59:20 AM

Ha! I don't hide the fact that I think the Roundabout is generally (with a few exceptions) Manhattan's best funded community theatre.

• Criterion Theatre Stage Right?  Feb 20 2017, 07:32:17 AM

The acoustics there were unbearable, even plays had to be miked. For musicals, orchestras were physically located on another floor of the building (not so unusual today, but that was the first time I had seen it). If you're a fan of acoustic sound, it was a nightmare.

i remember the space opened with a show called Suds, a mindless jukebox review of 60s pop tunes linked to a story about a jilted woman trying to commit suicide in a laundromat, and the three angels who t

• Riedel on Broadway's two best performances which can't win Tony's  Feb 17 2017, 08:03:24 AM

"Translation: I'm pissed that if I want to see this show, I have to pay like everybody else."

That's a very fluent translation.

• SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE in Performances (The 2017 Revival)  Feb 16 2017, 01:37:14 PM

On this question of "should I prepare for Sunday?", all I can say is - the first time I saw it was late in previews for the original Broadway production when I was an undergrad, and it hit me immediately, like a ton of bricks. With no familiarity with the material in the least.

Repeated viewing revealed more things, but... I have to say, if you don't "get it" right away, there's either 1) something wrong with the product

• Change One Letter: Musicals Edition  Feb 16 2017, 01:14:16 PM

Road Sow
    War Taint
    The Little Poxes
    Come From Amway

• Isherwood Firing  Feb 16 2017, 12:36:21 PM

"Plus, I've often wondered, how do the critics manage to know so much about the show they are reviewing?"

That's easy - they receive an extensive press packet in advance. Sometimes with a full copy of the script/libretto.

"It's probably the most read newspaper in the country if not the world."

I wouldn't be surprised. But it's no secret that their readership is consistently shrinking (like eve

• Isherwood Firing  Feb 16 2017, 12:21:42 PM

"Yes, supposedly they are hiring a new critic. The job was posted. It pays over $100,000 a year."

That's a shockingly high salary for such an increasingly irrelevant job (for an employer with an increasingly problematic bottom line).

• Isherwood Firing  Feb 16 2017, 08:13:52 AM

Weird piece, but I doubt that any paper would print it if they couldn't back it up.

Two statements that I find false: 1) Isherwood never got to review any major shows, and 2) "He is a well-respected critic."

Good riddance. Now put that old nag Brantley out to pasture and get a new voice.

• SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE in Performances (The 2017 Revival)  Feb 15 2017, 09:26:36 AM

"Specifically the strings, who continuously played Jonathan Tunick's orchestrations out of tempo, and with a lack of precision that should be required if one attempts "pointillism" in music."

This sounds extra strange; are there more strings in this production than the 4 (2 violins, 1 viola, 1 cello) in the original? I can't imagine that a professional Broadway string quartet couldn't get this score right after a normal rehearsal p

• Torch Song Trilogy to be revived at Second Stage  Feb 15 2017, 07:37:07 AM

"He is cute, but honestly - so was Harvey at the time of this play..."

Well, no. And that's why so much of the text of the play is tied to Arnold's low self esteem about his attractiveness. Remember the last line of the opening monologue - "with a face and a voice like this I could always drive a cab."

• Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/12/17  Feb 14 2017, 12:04:10 PM

Perhaps, Hogan, perhaps. But, in the words of Nellie Lovett, "seems an awful waste."

• Torch Song Trilogy to be revived at Second Stage  Feb 14 2017, 09:30:56 AM

I like Urie fine, but a cute, sexy Arnold seems somewhat antithetical to the entire point of the play(s).

I also think that what was once riveting, sui generis, and game changing will come off now as a little more than a cute period piece, particularly with an actor less... unique than Fierstein at the center. I remember how underwhelming David Garrison was in the role as a Broadway replacement years ago.

• Big River @ Encores  Feb 14 2017, 08:45:42 AM

It's never transferring to Broadway, so that isn't any part of this conversation.

• Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/12/17  Feb 14 2017, 08:16:57 AM

Hogan wrote: "The proof is in the pudding and if there were such a show, the stop clause is obviously subject to invocation."

Under normal conditions, you're certainly right. But this tureen of producers is unusually wealthy and powerful; the type who can pay to get the rules bent, if not changed. Why they would do so is a mystery; it seems like a lot of money and favors called in, merely to satisfy the whimsical ego of a bored

• Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/12/17  Feb 13 2017, 04:02:27 PM

Is Glass Menagerie nonprofit? Scott Rudin and other commercial producers are involved with Lincoln Center (who is listed 3rd among producers).

Advertisement Advertisement Advertisement Advertisement Advertisement Advertisement Advertisement Advertisement