Profile for newintown

Edit Your Profile |

BroadwayWorld newintown
Click to Enlarge
Member Name: newintown
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Birthday: - - -
Favorite Show(s): A Catered Affair
A Little Night Music
Avenue Q
Chicago
Company
Follies
Grand Hotel
Grey Gardens
Grind
Kismet
Lady in the Dark
Nine
Pippin
Promises, Promises
Street Scene
Sunday in the Park with George
Sweet Charity
The Drowsy Chaperone
The Light in the Piazza
The Mystery of Edwin Drood
Titanic

Favorite Performer(s):

Most Recent Message Board Posts:
  • Male Critics  Apr 21 2017, 12:02:46 PM

Of the 38 shows currently on Broadway, 20 have female roles at the center, often in the title.

So I would answer that good reviews don't seem to matter. What matters is that the stories get told.

• Classic Performances You HAVE seen  Apr 21 2017, 11:57:49 AM

After Eight wrote: "Thelma Ritter and Margaret Hamilton in UTBU."

Lord, I'm weeping with laughter. My high school did that play, and I can only imagine. You didn't think Tony Randall matched their quality?

• What Went Wrong with the NINE Film?  Apr 21 2017, 11:55:36 AM

Perhaps because I didn't expect it, I rather enjoyed Marion Cotillard's performance of "Take It All;" however, I would much rather see and hear Karen Akers sing "Be On Your Own" any day.

• What Went Wrong with the NINE Film?  Apr 21 2017, 11:52:40 AM

Lewis as Guido wasn't very good, and there were far too many changes to the book and score (I thought). Changing Guido's producer to his costumer took away that character's power, and made "Folies Bergere" a meaningless decorative piece.

In fact, I don't think that "meaning" has ever been Marshall's forte; he managed to eliminate most of it from Nine.

• Classic Performances You HAVE seen  Apr 21 2017, 11:31:42 AM

The best ones that come to mind are:

Phyllis Frelich - Children of a Lesser God
    Priscilla Lopez - A Day in Hollywood, A Night in the Ukraine
    Lily Tomlin - The Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe
    Original Cast - Nine (1982)
    Original Cast - Noises Off (1983)
    Original Cast - Sunday In The Park With George (1984)
    Joanna Gleason - Joe Egg

• A DOLL'S HOUSE, PART 2 previews  Apr 21 2017, 09:57:10 AM

I, too, appreciated the projections; albeit brief, they added an epic, Brechtian touch. Anything that wakes the modern complacent audience up is good by me.

• Second Stage Theatre to bring STRAIGHT WHITE MEN, LOBBY HERO to Broadway  Apr 20 2017, 12:47:33 PM

"The Wikipedia page on Yasmina Reza states that her father was Iranian, but of Russian heritage. His family fled Moscow in the early 20th century. So her father may have been an Iranian citizen, but it appears that Reza does not actually have any Asian heritage. I think for purposes of this discussion, we are talking about heritage and race, not just geography, yes?"

It may be just me, but it's this kind of microscopic focus that begins to sound a bit KKK-ish

• Second Stage Theatre to bring STRAIGHT WHITE MEN, LOBBY HERO to Broadway  Apr 20 2017, 12:08:52 PM

"I think Reza was identified as French as opposed to being American,not as opposed to being Asian. It was nationality, not racial."

As I mentioned, it was also stated that she's not Asian in the following post. But at this point, let's just let the entire topic pass; the point I attempted to make is not falling on receptive ears.

• Second Stage Theatre to bring STRAIGHT WHITE MEN, LOBBY HERO to Broadway  Apr 20 2017, 12:00:53 PM

No, I was responding to the classification of Lee as Asian American versus Reza as French. (And neon's subsequent assertion that Reza is not Asian.)

If Lee is Asian American, than Reza is Eurasian, right? Or Mideast-European? Or Franco-Iranian?

I was opening the can of worms regarding over-simplistic (or perhaps just not entirely thought out) racial labels.

• Second Stage Theatre to bring STRAIGHT WHITE MEN, LOBBY HERO to Broadway  Apr 20 2017, 11:54:52 AM

True. But I wasn't talking about that at all.

• Second Stage Theatre to bring STRAIGHT WHITE MEN, LOBBY HERO to Broadway  Apr 20 2017, 11:49:21 AM

"Ado Annie D'Ysquith said: "What about Yasmina Reza for God of Carnage?"

"Yasmina Reza is French."

If we're playing by those rules, then Young Jean Lee is American (she's lived here since she was an infant, and that's her nationality).

Reza's father is Iranian, but that still wouldn't make her "Asian" in most people's eyes, although Iran is officially part of the Asian continent.

• 70, Girls, 70 @ 54 Below  Apr 20 2017, 09:32:22 AM

Loni Ackerman. Laurie Beechman. Margery Cohen. Shoshana Bean. Debbie Shapiro. Ellen Foley.Kay Cole. Lenora Nemetz. Teri Klausner. Catherine Cox. Susan Johnson. Ann Morrison.

So many terrific belters who never got that one project that propelled them to the top level.

• Kevin Spacey 2017 Tony Awards Host  Apr 19 2017, 01:53:40 PM

I think I need to be done with this one.

It seems that we have come to a crossroads in history where discourse no longer has an effect (did it ever?). America’s booboisie has put a man and his followers who are as joyfully ignorant and amoral as themselves into power, and they now feel free to pursue all of their dark id-driven urges: “Every man for himself! Amass as much stuff as you can! Screw everyone else! Those who can’t care for themselves deserve to suffer

• Kevin Spacey 2017 Tony Awards Host  Apr 19 2017, 01:17:01 PM

As a great writer once said, "You have a point. An idiotic one, but a point."

• Kevin Spacey 2017 Tony Awards Host  Apr 19 2017, 12:15:45 PM

Update - I see your point, Kad. Hiding in the closet will only keep that status quo going (or worse).

Adding - "Who are the A-list Hollywood gay actors? Who are the gay actors that can have a movie advertised on the strength their name?"

Spacey is currently on television. He hasn't led the cast of a movie (or sold one based on his name) since - what? Beyond The Sea in 2004? He's a character actor in supporting roles, not a leading star.

• Kevin Spacey 2017 Tony Awards Host  Apr 19 2017, 11:58:13 AM

Here are some other successful out actors: Neil Patrick Harris, Sean Hayes, Jim Parsons, John Cameron Mitchell, Ricky Martin, Richard Chamberlain, Rupert Everett, Nathan Lane, David Hyde Pierce.

• Kevin Spacey 2017 Tony Awards Host  Apr 19 2017, 11:58:07 AM

John Gielgud won in 1982. 

• Kevin Spacey 2017 Tony Awards Host  Apr 19 2017, 11:49:48 AM

"So how many actors at Spacey's level are openly queer? 
    How many out gay men have been either nominated for acting Academy Awards?
    "

1) Define Spacey's "level."

2) Why?

• Kevin Spacey 2017 Tony Awards Host  Apr 19 2017, 11:43:10 AM

"Thank you for bestowing your holy knowledge unto us humble, pathetic plebeians. We pray every day to achieve a modicum of the enlightenment that you possess, though we are likely beyond help."

Childish sarcasm from an idiot is still nothing more than idiocy.

• Kevin Spacey 2017 Tony Awards Host  Apr 19 2017, 11:41:58 AM

"Are people really saying that, or are they just acknowledging that Kevin spacey has never outted himself, so maybe its his desire to keep his sexual preference private?"

It's the SAME THING.