Profile for newintown

Edit Your Profile |

BroadwayWorld newintown
Click to Enlarge
Member Name: newintown
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Birthday: - - -
Favorite Show(s): A Catered Affair
A Little Night Music
Avenue Q
Grand Hotel
Grey Gardens
Lady in the Dark
Promises, Promises
Street Scene
Sunday in the Park with George
Sweet Charity
The Drowsy Chaperone
The Light in the Piazza
The Mystery of Edwin Drood

Favorite Performer(s):

Most Recent Message Board Posts:
  • NATASHA, PIERRE & THE GREAT COMET OF 1812 Previews  Oct 19 2016, 09:49:40 AM

"Yeah, eight people have weighed in on the very first preview of a new musical...."

I know this is repetition, but - the show is far from new. It's been around for years in several full productions. We've been introduced.

I saw it at the teeny tiny Ars Nova and thought it was cute, pseudo-boho in that early 21st century Brooklyn way, musically attractive and simple, and ultimately rather dull after the novelty/gimmick was established and worn out.

• Ken Davenport Joins ALW's Really Useful Group  Oct 18 2016, 03:52:34 PM

One thing that particular bugs me about Davenport is how he promotes himself loudly, although he has little to no actual success to boast about (Jason Robert Brown and Trump do the same thing).

I've always found self-promotion to be the refuge of those whom no one else will promote.

• Will Alan Cumming do Cabaret Again?  Oct 18 2016, 08:23:04 AM

I think it would be simply terrific if, Like Yul Brynner and Carol Channing, he just revived his one success over and over and over and over again, selling fewer and fewer tickets each time, until he expires, covered in a cold sweat of desperation.

• THE LIFE: Will it ever be revived?  Oct 18 2016, 08:20:40 AM

And the only "violence" I recall, although Chuck Cooper was supposed to be menacing, was that he carefully ripped Pam Isaac's (clearly trick) dress.

• THE LIFE: Will it ever be revived?  Oct 17 2016, 03:53:38 PM

The major problem with the show (and you either get it or you don't), is that its foul, prurient, cutesy approach to prostitution was already old in the 60s (30 years before the show happened). It was obviously written by a group of filthy old gross straight white men without a socio-political thought in their collective heads.

• THE LIFE: Will it ever be revived?  Oct 17 2016, 01:31:42 PM

Well, you know, they'll bring back any flop nowadays, even though the chances that the flop will make money the second time around are so slim as to be nonexistent...

It received pretty bad reviews, with Variety calling out its "impossibly hokey book and stock characters," and the Times adding that there was "a lot wrong" with the show, including a book full of "irritating lumpiness and misjudgments."

The onl

• A Life  Oct 17 2016, 08:26:41 AM

I know it was over 30 years ago, but does no one remember the Hugh Leonard play of the same name (It's such a generic title, I'm surprised it hasn't been used more)?

It was well-received, but short-lived, received several Tony nominations, and was done everywhere for a few years.

• Glenn Close in Sunset Blvd revival  Oct 14 2016, 09:43:44 AM

No surprise there - 50 pieces? Who really thought that would happen? I bet they cut it down to 25 eventually.

LCT can cut a deal with the union perhaps, for prestige R&H shows, but not a commercial producer for Lloyd Webber synth schlock.

• Glenn Close in Sunset Blvd revival  Oct 14 2016, 09:06:06 AM

"People complaining about this need to hop off and not ruin it for the rest of us."

I'm going to guess that you were born after 1990.

• Story you've always wanted to see become a musical?  Oct 13 2016, 11:13:44 AM

Two mentioned separately above were already adapted to musicals (and flopped): The Prisoner of Zenda (1925's Princess Flavia [actually a mild success] and 1963's Zenda), and The Quiet Man (1961's Donnybrook!).

• When Will The Color Purple Close?  Oct 13 2016, 10:39:49 AM

It will close. However, at this time, no one knows when that will happen. It might be months, it might be years...

• Glenn Close in Sunset Blvd revival  Oct 13 2016, 08:36:07 AM

"...and yet NONE of you have seen it!"

I saw it twenty-two years ago with Close and thought she stunk to high heaven then (as noted earlier, I thought her performance style was stolen from a demented drag queen and her voice was like nails on a chalkboard). I have no reason to suspect that she'll be better in either aspect at 70 - she might be a bit less Cruella Deville-ish, but I suspect not.

I saw Lupone in the UK the previous year, and

• Formal Apology to All  Oct 13 2016, 08:30:31 AM

Your nephew has a remarkable potty mouth for a nine year old (admittedly, I haven't spent much time with any nine year olds in ages, so maybe that's normal...)

• Glenn Close in Sunset Blvd revival  Oct 12 2016, 03:08:35 PM

It does seem like a sure way to lose your investment; the original closed at a loss (even with the biggest advance of any show to that date), and there's no reason to suspect that a revival (even done on the major cheap) would fare any better. Close could barely sing it 22 years ago, and I doubt that her voice is stronger now, at (almost) 70.

• Glenn Close in Sunset Blvd revival  Oct 12 2016, 11:43:50 AM

After suffering through Close hooting her way through the score and acting the role like a deranged drag queen twenty-two years ago, I'll pass on what can only promise to be a macabre experience at best, a snoozefest at worst.

However, that iconic movie will always be welcome.

• How Not To Take Criticism Like A Professional  Oct 12 2016, 10:32:39 AM

"...we needn't glob onto it. This is a small potatoes story not juicy piece of theater gossip."

What?!? Are you saying there's a conversation happening on this site that isn't important?

• What happened to King Kong?  Oct 12 2016, 10:28:53 AM

'Twas beauty killed the beast.

• Critical failure, commercial success?  Oct 11 2016, 02:18:08 PM

I'm not sure I understand how Show Score finds a number for the reviewers' evaluations - for instance, they claim that Isherwood's Holiday Inn review rates a 60 out of 100. Other than calling the cast "skilled" (hardly gushing), he didn't seem to have anything positive to say about the show at all. How is that 60 (above average)?

• Golden Girls Puppet Parody  Oct 11 2016, 01:00:59 PM

The audience enters the tiny DR2 in a great mood, ready to have fun. The theme song begins, but there are no vocals, so the audience lustily and happily sings them. Then, sadly, the show starts.

It's 90 minutes of mostly unrelieved boredom; at three times the length of an episode, it would wear out quickly even if the writing was good, but it's basically just a long, uninteresting episode, with a few meta-theatrical gestures randomly tossed in here and there. The

• Who should have more fame  Oct 11 2016, 09:49:14 AM

Effie, we all got fame.

Backstage with Richard Ridge
Back to Falsettoland w/ OBC - Passing the Torch
Backstage Bite
BWW TV Exclusive: BACKSTAGE BITE with Katie Lynch and PARAMOUR's Ruby Lewis!
Turning the Tables
Randy Rainbow w/ FIDDLER Cast
  Chewing the Scenery with Randy Rainbow