BroadwayWorld.com
Profile for SonofRobbieJ
Edit Your Profile |

Click to Enlarge
Member Name: SonofRobbieJ
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Birthday: - - -
Favorite Show(s):

Favorite Performer(s):

Most Recent Message Board Posts:
  • Fun Home Previews  Apr 1 2015, 11:03:42 AM
    Whereas now, she is fully integrated and engaged in the action throughout, all to the betterment of the role and the show.
  • Fun Home Previews  Apr 1 2015, 10:21:25 AM
    I'm interested to hear what you think if you decide to go back. It really was a new experience for me seeing a show so dramatically changed due to just the staging.
  • Fun Home Previews  Apr 1 2015, 10:05:02 AM
    I think what's happened for Beth Malone is that a role that felt supporting down at the public now feels like the leading role of the show. Having her far more present in the action of the piece gives the role far more weight than it had before without changing the material. It's really something to see.
  • Fun Home Previews  Mar 31 2015, 05:22:49 PM
    I feel responsible for making people freak out about their seats. So...

Your seats are fantastic. You will have an amazing experience at the show, but (as in ANY in-the-round staging) there will be times when backs are turned, etc. Focus on the greater stage picture. There will always be something to see...someone to watch. Just allow that experience to happen for you. You're going to love it.
  • Fun Home Previews  Mar 31 2015, 04:32:21 PM
    I'm wondering if that was a change after the first preview. The door stayed closed for the entirety of the scene before Bruce went to leave. As I said, it wasn't a huge deal, but it was the only time I felt that they didn't conquer the challenges of being in the round.
  • Fun Home Previews  Mar 31 2015, 02:22:40 PM
    Row A may not be nearly as affected by the door as Row F. And truly, it's not a very long time. It didn't really ruin anything for me.
  • Fun Home Previews  Mar 31 2015, 10:02:59 AM
    Spoilers, kids!

I was in F109 (I think) and I will say that the door blocked Bruce and Adult Alison for the entirety of the New York apartment scene (or...the entire time he was standing at the sink, I should say). I had a clear shot of the kids, which was fine, but Bruce drives that scene, so I wish there was a way I could have experienced that better. However, it was a terrific perspective on the scene once Bruce opened the door to leave the kinds to go out cruising.
  • Off-(and Off-Off-)Broadway listing for interested theatergoers...  Mar 30 2015, 05:33:28 PM
    Don't forget EST (Ensemble Studio Theater), growl!

I'll offer a list of some Indie Theater companies that I've worked with who don't have permanent homes...but it's easy to check their sites to see if there's something coming up that's interesting:

Gideon Productions
    Flux Theater Ensemble
    GroundUp Productions
    Retro Productions Theater Company
    terraNOVA Collective
    FullStop Collective
  • Fun Home Previews  Mar 30 2015, 04:35:27 PM
    ^ There ya go!

SPOILER

I loved the view I had of Bruce being hit by the truck...but I bet the 400 view is chilling as well.
  • Fun Home Previews  Mar 30 2015, 04:31:04 PM
    I think the 400s should be fine...though there were a few moments that I thought they'd be getting a lot of back. But I don't know if that's necessarily true. And there is one pivotal moment I'd actually love to view from the 400 sections.
  • Fun Home Previews  Mar 30 2015, 02:08:13 PM
    It's a cute song...but letting Ring of Keys be the true discovery of self makes for an even more powerful moment. I agree that it's not a loss.
  • Fun Home Previews  Mar 30 2015, 01:06:32 PM
    The 200s probably offer the best...and pretty much any seat in them. I was in the 100s and there was a moment or two I was like, 'MOVE THE F*CKING DOOR' but 99.1% of the sightlines were wonderful.

God, that was a specific percentage.
  • Fun Home Previews  Mar 30 2015, 10:57:41 AM
    If the 'bravas' were after Days and Days and Ring of Keys, I'd say they were well deserved.

The other thing that occurred to me (between seeing this last year and last week) is that this is the closest the musical theater has come to replicating the essential family plays written by O'Neil and Miller. It's the most naturalistic musical I've ever encountered, and it's the truest depiction of family I've seen set to music.
  • Fun Home Previews  Mar 30 2015, 10:24:20 AM
    I was at the first preview the other night, and I was very, very lucky to speak with a few of the creatives afterwards at a small reception in the lower lobby. I tried to be articulate, but am afraid I just seemed like a babbling fanboy. At 40, that ain't cute.

*Spoilers* I've never quite experienced seeing a show change so dramatically just because of its staging. I thought the show wouldn't translate well into the round, particularly the reveal of the finished house. I was very,
  • New Jeopardy Broadway Category  Mar 24 2015, 03:25:07 PM
    He lives in Queens. He's one of the nicest, kindest guys in the whole world, and he's been an amazing friend to me during good times and bad. He had a big viewing party and we all lost our friggin' minds when he won. Bitch kept his mouth shut!!
  • New Jeopardy Broadway Category  Mar 24 2015, 02:47:49 PM
    I just have to brag that a dear friend is the returning champion! I missed last night's episode, but last Friday they had the category '80's Tony Awards' and we all whooped at the viewing party.
  • 1985 King and I revival and the Tony awards  Mar 20 2015, 02:19:06 PM
    In 1985, the Tony Awards eliminated the categories of Best Lead Actor and Actress in a Musical. It was deemed there were not enough lead performances to fill the categories. I also imagine that Piel was billed below the title for that production.
  • CARRIE THE MUSICAL to premiere in Los Angeles  Mar 20 2015, 11:38:49 AM
    And don't then there's this review from...

• CARRIE THE MUSICAL to premiere in Los Angeles  Mar 20 2015, 11:37:01 AM
    Some reviews have come in and they make me wish I went out for pilot season this year!

• Hamilton's 10M Advance  Mar 19 2015, 04:34:06 PM
    10 million is still kind of shocking for a show that's still running off-Broadway for another month and a half.

I'll be there on July 20 with my 15 year-old-niece. I'm pretending she's more excited than I.