BroadwayWorld.com
Profile for AEA AGMA SM
Edit Your Profile |

Click to Enlarge
Member Name: AEA AGMA SM
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Birthday: 2 - 29
Favorite Show(s):

Favorite Performer(s):

Most Recent Message Board Posts:
  • Leading Actress in a Musical 2015-2016  Jun 30 2015, 01:02:42 AM

"*Whoever will be playing Trina in Falsettos."

While it's not binding, of course, the precedent is in place for Trina to be considered a featured role, as that's where Barbara Walsh was placed when she played the role in the original Broadway production in 1992.

• Leading Actress in a Musical 2015-2016  Jun 30 2015, 01:02:42 AM

"*Whoever will be playing Trina in Falsettos."

While it's not binding, of course, the precedent is in place for Trina to be considered a featured role, as that's where Barbara Walsh was placed when she played the role in the original Broadway production in 1992.

• Shameless Attempt To Sell A Show  Jun 28 2015, 04:49:01 PM

Honestly, it's probably because of the advertising algorithms in place and not anything intentional. The program will automatically match advertisements based on keywords and your own personal viewing and search habits. So I'm not surprised that an ad for Amazing Grace would get attached to a video about somebody (in this case the President) singing "Amazing Grace."

• Thoughts on the Original Broadway Production of Ragtime?  Jun 27 2015, 08:14:18 PM

LaChanze was only brought in for Los Angeles. Audra originated the role in Toronto before the production opened in L.A. and was always set to open the show in New York. So the question is really "why didn't Audra do the L.A. production?"

• Strobe lights currently on Broadway  Jun 25 2015, 01:55:01 PM

Almost every musical these days will use a hazer to add at least a subtle amount of atmosphere to the lighting design, even if they aren't using any specific fog/smoke effects. I can't think of any that I've seen in recent years that has not.

• Disney films that would make fantastic Broadway shows.  Jun 24 2015, 06:11:55 PM

"I'd personally love to see them bring one of the old movies like Sleeping Beauty to the stage. Having some of the songs and then adding a lush score could make a great classic."

I can't think of any composer that I would want to hear adding additional material to Tchaikovsky.

• Remembering the Original Lyric Theatre Through Pictures  Jun 23 2015, 03:43:21 PM

And if phillypinto was just proposing to cut the house in half to reduce the number of seats, and leave the stage house in tact, it still leaves a lot to be desired as a plan. 

To keep it simple we'll assume "half" was being used literally (I'll use the numbers currently in place for On the Town). You'd be reducing the weekly seating capacity to 7,496 and the gross potential to $895,038. You'd now be looking at a theatre with a stage house designed to h

• Remembering the Original Lyric Theatre Through Pictures  Jun 23 2015, 01:48:17 PM

As I recall the dome in the house is from the old Lyric theatre (I know the proscenium is from the Apollo). 

Have there been any more developments on that rumored Cirque deal from a few months ago regarding the Lyric?

• Bruce Willis & Elizabeth Marvel Are Headed to Broadway in MISERY!  Jun 23 2015, 10:43:46 AM

Kathy Bates put a near indelible stamp on the role in a performance that is pretty close to perfection in that film. If there is anyone who can overcome that onstage Laurie Metcalf is definitely the person who will be able to do that. I can't wait to see this!

• Songs That Won Their Performers Tonys  Jun 23 2015, 10:40:02 AM

I think there is a difference between "the song won them their Tony" and "their performance of that one song won them their Tony." To me the first implies that the song is so good that anybody would have won the award for singing it onstage. In a way that discounts the actors' performances and everything they brought to that role. It implies the song is completely actor-proof, and judging by some of the horrible renditions of all of these songs you can find all over Youtube it's eas

• Thank Heaven for GIGI  Jun 22 2015, 11:27:48 PM

"Wouldn't it have been great to see that award be televised for the first time with Kron and Tesori? I think it would have been really amazing and wonderful."

Not to downplay how great it would have been to have seen that award televised, it would not have been the first time. It was presented during the telecast two years ago when Cyndi Lauper won for Kinky Boots.

• Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/21/15  Jun 22 2015, 06:51:30 PM

"I guess King and I still did very well considering all the refunds given for Kelli O'Hara's missed performances."

With those numbers I would guess that the number of actual refunds given was much lower than people assume it would be. Or else they had a huge wait list of people ready to buy them right back up in the cancellation line.

• Thank Heaven for GIGI  Jun 22 2015, 10:48:14 AM

The idea that any producer is ignoring women over 40 is laughable, considering they are widely reported as the key ticket buying demographic.

If women over 40, or anyone, for that matter, were buying enough tickets to pay the bills the show would still be open. As evidenced by the weekly gross reports, they weren't. The show is closing for that reason, and that reason alone. Not because the producers were ignoring

• Songs That Won Their Performers Tonys  Jun 21 2015, 05:27:42 PM

""Folies Bergeres" for Liliane Montevecchi in the original production of Nine.

Interestingly, in early drafts of the script, Montevecchi's part of producer Liliane La Fleur was written to be played as a flamboyant queen in obvious drag. I'm not sure how long that idea stayed; it may have lasted up until the point director Tommy Tune decided to eliminate all the male characters from the show except for Guido. I saw an excellent student production at NY

• Matilda Tour?  Jun 20 2015, 10:19:42 PM

Just a guess, but I'm sure the Dahl estate has some say in it.  Considering the caveats they've put on the various adaptations of his work since he died I wouldn't be surprised if keeping the story of Matilda set in England was one of them.

• The Producers love affair with Gershwin  Jun 20 2015, 10:13:08 PM

So three musicals in the last 23 years now equals "every new musical"? I guess I must have dreamed up the multitude of others shows that have opened on Broadway since 1992.

• Wicked with Amanda Seyfried and Anna Kendrick  Jun 20 2015, 10:11:13 PM

"jimmycurry, first and foremost Dave19 requires someone who can act through notes. If they can't, they better not get anywhere near a musicalfilm."

Which I find amusing since the last time I feel I've seen Lea Michele "act through the notes" was in Spring Awakening, nearly ten years ago now (and even in that I thought she was adequate at best, certainly not anything to write home about). Since then I've only seen her play some variati

• Life After Tomorrow  Jun 19 2015, 10:19:11 PM

It's available on Hulu.

I thought it was actually a pretty well balanced documentary that explored a theme that is common to many, many child performers; the effect of fame on your childhood. You meet girls who slipped right back into their old lives after leaving the show, others who continued to pursue a career, some successfully and some not. There are varying levels of fondness and bitterness from those who participated and is not the overtly negative portrayal that A

• Phantom Revamp  Jun 19 2015, 05:42:07 PM

""I'm glad that the new production is not "Phantom on the Cheap."

This is exactly what I thought it was. "

It was originally thought that the whole purpose behind this tour was to send out a cheaper version than the original (similar to the new Les Mis tour). However, it still ended up being something like 17 trucks, and it's still under a full Production Contract, so ultimately, no matter what it may&nbs

• Missing performances for a TV pilot?  Jun 17 2015, 09:22:54 PM

This would fall under the MRE (More Renumerative Employment) clause that is in most Equity contracts.  In its simplest terms it means that if you receive short-term employment that will pay you more than what you are currently making on the contract you are currently under then you can leave to take that job.  It has to be under another 4-A's contract (i.e., SAG-AFTRA, AGMA, AGVA, etc) and each contract will spell out additional terms such as how long you can take, how much notice y

BROADWAYWORLD TV