BroadwayWorld.com
Profile for AEA AGMA SM
Edit Your Profile |

Click to Enlarge
Member Name: AEA AGMA SM
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Birthday: 2 - 29
Favorite Show(s):

Favorite Performer(s):

Most Recent Message Board Posts:
  • Tesori Cast Albums?  May 22 2015, 08:01:37 PM

""Everything Matt said.
    Caroline is certainly not a conventional score, but it has such depth and beauty. I love how the score just kind of flows wherever it needs to.
    Kushner's libretto of course sets the style, but Tesori's lovely and emotional music brings it to life"

This isn't meant to be an insult or a complement particularly, but Tesori is one of the theatre composers I think whose style depends and change

• Abandoned film adaptations of Broadway shows?  May 22 2015, 07:55:44 PM

Tina Fey wrote a draft of Bye Bye Birdie, around 2004 I believe, that Adam Shankman was attached to after Hairspray became a huge success.  Last news I remember hearing about that was about five years ago or so.

• Favorite Pro Shot Versions of Stage Musicals?  May 22 2015, 08:12:11 AM

"I think what made the legally blonde live dvd a great capture was
    a) the obc was filmed about 5-6 mos after
    Opening and were in the zone in their roles
    i can't think of any other proshot captures that were that soon 
    b) I think it was broadcast live on mtV
    so it had that vibe for cast and audience
    c) it was a very enthusiastic Audience

"

It was definitely not broadcast live. L

• Ana Gasteyer, Dan Fogler, Aaron Lazar in A NEW BRAIN  May 19 2015, 07:43:41 PM

This is indeed a great cast.  As others have said, Ana Gasteyer in real life could have been a very young mother to Jonathan Groff (who for some reason I always forget is only five years younger than myself), and for the purposes of these handful of performances I certainly wouldn't be bothered by worrying about how old she would have been when she had him.

Hoping I'll be able to fit it in around the rehearsal schedule for the show I'll be working on at the time.

• Which shows have souvenir programmes?  May 18 2015, 07:57:10 PM

On the Town has theirs available for purchase online.

Souvenir Brochure

• Will The Color Purple be the first revival of a musical from the 2000's?  May 18 2015, 02:52:28 PM

I believe that revival was the tour coming in to do a sit-down before closing, similar to the first revival of Les Mis in 2006, or the return engagements of Hair and Fela.

• Grease Revival 2007 Finances  May 18 2015, 01:20:52 PM

""...Was it? It ran only a year and a half. With a cast of over two dozen, on top of other expenses, I can't really imagine how it would manage to recoup in that time."

Without the reality show we would not have Laura Osnes who proved she is beyond a one hit wonder that can do BOTH revivals and new material with ease"

With the kind of talent she has displayed there is no doubt in my mind that she

• Minskoff Seating Question  May 18 2015, 01:16:58 PM

I haven't seen the show since it moved to the Minskoff, but having seen it previously from balcony and orchestra seats I personally prefer being higher up for The Lion King. The overall effect of the staging is so much better when taken in from a bit more of a distance and being able to observe the entire picture easier than from being up close, in my opinion.

• First show seen on broadway?  May 18 2015, 01:11:09 PM

Beauty and the Beast, in 1994 just a few weeks after the Tony Awards, followed the next night by the revival of Damn Yankees

• Is 39 Steps worth seeing?  May 17 2015, 12:26:36 PM

I saw the final dress rehearsal of this current production and the cast was in great form then.  I can only imagine that they've only gotten better as they've found their footing in front of real audiences (a cast member told me that we were the first time they had had any kind of audience other than the creative team at that point).

• New Matilda TV ads  May 12 2015, 11:38:22 AM

I really liked it.  It felt like a very refreshing and new take on the "let's just get some random audience members to say a few words coming out of the theatre" campaigns that some shows have done in the past.  It shows that the show is not just "kiddie theatre" and draws in and excites people of all ages.

There are enough other ads out there that show footage from the production that doing another series of ads based on the that would just be redundant.

• Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/10/15  May 12 2015, 01:00:14 AM

"lt Should Have Been You is doing great despite being snubbed completely by the Tony voters."

Averaging not quite 39% of your gross potential is considered "great" these days?

And Gigi is not really doing much better.  Their best week was at 52% of their gross potential, and they have yet to match it.

I could see the producers of both of those trying to hold out for the summer to see if things improve,

• Breaking News: Encores! 2016 Season to Feature CABIN IN THE SKY, 1776, DO I HEAR A WALTZ?  May 10 2015, 08:16:41 PM

"They already did Gypsy"

Gypsy was not part of their regular season.  It was the inaugural production in their short-lived "Summer Stars" series (followed by Damn Yankees and The Wiz).  That series was not meant to show case rarely produced works like the regular season is.

• Favorite Pro Shot Versions of Stage Musicals?  May 10 2015, 01:00:49 PM

Crazy for You was shot at Papermill, though I assume it was mostly a full recreation of the Broadway production.  There was also a production of Show Boat at Papermill that was shot in the late 80s/early 90s (before the Hal Prince revival/revival) as part of Great Performances as well.

• Breaking News: Encores! 2016 Season to Feature CABIN IN THE SKY, 1776, DO I HEAR A WALTZ?  May 10 2015, 12:53:57 PM

1776 may be a bit outside of their general mission statement, but a great choice nonetheless. Every once in a while they do a show like that, usually for the best. I have fonder memories of their Bye Bye Birdie from 2004 than I do of the lackluster revival Roundabout gave us a few years ago.

And who knows, maybe it will lead to a full-scale revival of the show if it's received well enough?

• MUNY 2015  May 9 2015, 10:46:13 PM

So very true, Phyllis.

• Bizarre Tony nominations  May 9 2015, 02:39:53 PM

The libretto, or book, of a show is not just the spoken dialogue.  It is the entire structure of the show; how it is pieced together.  Hence all operas having a credited librettist even though they are mostly through-sung.

• CAROUSEL today  Apr 30 2015, 02:18:10 PM

""This is most likely NOT going to Broadway anytime soon for various reasons---  
    http://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/news/2015/04/28/lyric-operas-carousel-still-waiting-for-that-big.html

"

It... doesn't say that. All it says is that the production isn't totally

• If/Then tour  Apr 29 2015, 11:00:28 PM

The Lion King and Phantom are both still on the full Production contract, and I know Once was full Production for quite some time (and may still be).

• Projections  Apr 28 2015, 03:36:11 PM

"If Bob Crowley wins for his AAIP set design (as he should), no doubt he will acknowledge that an enormous share of that award goes to 59 Productions who was responsible for the projection design (as well as to his brilliant lighting designer, Natasha Katz)."

If An American in Paris wins then Bob Crowley won't have to acknowledge the work of 59 Productions since they are already sharing the nomination and would share the win if

BROADWAYWORLD TV