Looking for spring 2013 recommendations

wesleystewart
Swing
Swing
Looking for spring 2013 recommendations#1
Posted: 12/19/12 at 9:55am
Hi all,

I'll be living in London from January-May and would love any and all recommendations of what to see. I'm going to try to see as much as possible during those months, whether it's a holdover from 2012 or a new production.

I'm also a graduate student so any recommendations on getting best-priced tickets would be appreciated as well. Thanks for any help you can provide!
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Looking for spring 2013 recommendations#2
Posted: 12/19/12 at 10:20am
Do not uunder any circumstances miss MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG at the Chocolate Factory! A seriously stunning production of a Sondheim masterpiece.

Two shows opening late February for limited runs which should be fantastic - DEAR WORLD at the Charing Cros thatre (starring Betty Buckley) and CHESS at the Union Theatre.

You will find Fringe theatre venues (such as the above) much cheaper than West End - and often superior productions! (& you can book tickets via the theatres' own websites)

Also - you should be able to catch the new production of Stiles and Drewe's HONK! at the Tabard theatre (which closes on Jan 13) - it's fabulous!
THEATRE 2015: The Mikado**** Women On The Verge Of A Nervous Breakdown***** The Grand Tour**** Charlotte Bradford: The Last 7 Years (cabaret)**** Bat Boy**** City Of Angels***** Assassins***** A Little Night Music***** Jesus Christ Superstar (tour,Cardiff)**** The Goodbye Girl**** Anything Goes (tour, Wimbledon)**** She Loves Me**** Whistle Down The Wind***** Live & Acoustic**** Charles Strouse (cabaret)**** The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole (Curve, Leicester)****. Miss Saigon***** Spend,Spend, Spend**** Sweeney Todd (ENO)***** News Review**** Songs From The Playground**** Apartment 40C***** Follies***** The Verb, To Love*** Portia Coughlan**** Sweeney Todd (Pie Shop)***** Closer To Heaven*** Carrie***** Little Shop Of Horrors (Colchester)***** The Theory Of Relativity***** Warhorse***** The Clockmaker's Daughter*** Elegies For Angels, Punks & Raging Queens***** Duncton Wood**** Live & Acoustic**** Dick Barton**** The Baker's Wife**** High Society***** Bend It Like Beckham**** Gypsy*****. Face The Music**** The Play That Goes Wrong***** Les Miserables***** Dusty*** I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change***** House Of Mirrors And Hearts*** American Idiot***** Gloria Onitiri Reverie*****
rockyhorrorfan
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Looking for spring 2013 recommendations#2
Posted: 12/20/12 at 7:01am
Michael Grandage is currently running the Noel Coward Theatre where day tickets can be bought for £10. From 9th March - 1st June, Judi Dench will be starring in a new play called Peter and Alice in which the real Alice In Wonderland meets the real Peter Pan (Ben Wishaw). Until 2nd March you can see Privates on Parade which also has £10 day seats.

Of the new West End shows I'd highly recommend Matilda. Not sure if it's available through TKTS or not. The TKTS booth in Leicester Square is the best option for cut-price tickets (and the only authorised venue to do so). Alternatively going to the theatre box office to see if day seats or returns are available. These are usually sold at a discounted price.

Alternatively, as bob8rich says there's plenty of great Fringe theatre in London at a fraction of the cost of the West End.
jaqs Profile Photojaqs Profile Photo
jaqs
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Looking for spring 2013 recommendations#3
Posted: 12/20/12 at 7:22am
The Grandage season does £10 dayseats, Privates on parade(Simon Russell Beale) and Peter and Alice(judi dench and Ben Whishaw) will be on during your time.

James McAvoy will be in Macbeth at trafalgar studios, there are £15 tickets on mondays going on sale 1st feb (and I believe 1st of month for each month).

The donmar barclays front row £10 scheme has online booking on mondays.
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Looking for spring 2013 recommendations#4
Posted: 12/21/12 at 1:26pm
I'm definitely seeing Merrily, Dear World and Book of Mormon.
wesleystewart
Swing
Swing
Looking for spring 2013 recommendations#5
Posted: 1/2/13 at 7:42pm
Hey all,

Thanks for the recommendations, if anyone has more feel free to pass them along. Already coming up with my list of must-sees. If anyone has any recommendations for specific theaters to check out, I'm obviously not terribly familiar with the fringe venues and who does the best work.

Thanks again. Happy New Year!
WestEndFan2
Swing
Swing
Looking for spring 2013 recommendations#6
Posted: 1/3/13 at 12:57pm
Once the musical is also coming to the West End in 2013, it is based on a fil about a busker and has some brilliant songs in it, it has the potential to be a good runner I think.
http://www.oncemusical.com/index.html?gclid=CJzczOHhzLQCFYG-zAodTT4AgA#googsearch

Also One Man, Two Guvnors, which has been running for a while, but is a great play and real good laugh, the change to last year is that Rufus Hound is set to join the cast in 2013 and should be a funny addition!
http://www.onemantwoguvnors.com/

BROADWAYWORLD TV

Save $$$ on Tickets to:
🔀ATLANTA SHOWS
Annie Get Your Gun (Stone)
(Runs 7/16 - 8/9)
Once Upon a Mattress
(Runs 7/17 - 8/9)
Reefer Madness
(Runs 7/24 - 8/9)
Evita in AtlantaEvita
(Runs 7/23 - 8/16)