WAKE UP with BWW 8/19/14 - Mint's FATAL WEAKNESS, 'LA CAGE' at the Circus, IT'S ONLY A PLAY and More!
Good morning, BroadwayWorld! Because we know all our readers eat, sleep and breathe Broadway, what could be better than waking up to it? Today's big news: FATAL WEAKNESS begins off-Broadway, LA CAGE stars Broadway vets in Sacramento, the company of IT'S ONLY A PLAY meets the press, and Daniel Radcliffe appears on Ovation tonight!
TODAY'S TOP ITEMS:
- The starry company of IT'S ONLY A PLAY meets the press today, so stay tuned for BWW's photos and footage!
- Mint Theater opens THE FATAL WEAKNESS off-Broadway this evening...
- Brent Barrett and Alan Mingo Jr. co-star in LA CAGE AUX FOLLES (check out a fabulous clip from The Birdcage above), opening tonight at Music Circus in Sarcramento!
- Set your DVR! Ovation debuts season 2 of A YOUNG DOCTOR'S NOTEBOOK, starring stage vet Daniel Radcliffe.
NEWS YOU MISSED YESTERDAY:
- Gloria Estefan's new musical ON YOUR FEET will play the Marquis Theatre, with an opening slated for early November!
- Andre de Shields, Adam Chanler-Berat, Rebecca Naomi Jones and more will lead The Public's THE FORTRESS OF SOLITUDE this fall!
- Stage and screen star Debbie Reynolds will be honored with the 2014 SAG Life Achievement Award...
- Original and new stars of MISS SAIGON will appear at a Gala Performance of the musical next month.
- Also in September, Kim Zimmer will rejoin the WICKED First North American Tour as 'Madame Morrible'!
- Patrick Page took a moment to share his personal struggle with depression in light of Robin Williams' suicide. Read his exclusive article here.
- And finally, we got a look (right) at YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU's kitten auditions yesterday!
Broadway Weather Forecast: Lots of sun today, with a high of 79 degrees. Low of 66 tonight, so bring a sweater to the theatre!
Quote of the Day: Daniel Radcliffe, who appears tonight in A YOUNG DOCTOR'S NOTEBOOK, proves once again that he is thoughtful and selfless despite his fame...
When you're in the position I'm in, you have two options: you can either shut yourself off from everybody, from the world, and not live a full life. Or you welcome everybody into your life and occasionally somebody will try to take advantage. And I'd much rather be that person who lets people in.
-- Daniel Radcliffe (via BrainyQuote)
What we're watching: The debut episode of the new webseries COVERS from CHICAGO's Jason Patrick Sands and Brian O'Brien. The show is "a heightened-reality, character-driven 'mockudramedy' that follows the story of two competing understudies and the surrounding company of the long-running Broadway musical CHICAGO."
BroadwayWorld premiered the pilot yesterday, and you can watch it HERE!
And finally, a Happy Birthday shout-out to Peter Gallagher, who turns 60 today!
Gallagher is set to star opposite Kristin Chenoweth in next spring's On the Twentieth Century revival. Among his past Broadway credits are The Country Girl, Noises Off, Guys and Dolls, Long Day's Journey Into Night (for which he was nominated for a 1986 Tony Award), The Real Thing, The Corn Is Green, A Doll's Life, Hair and Grease.
See you bright and early tomorrow, BroadwayWorld!