WAKE UP with BWW 5/30/14 - BWW Awards, Rory O'Malley, Drama Desks and More!
Good morning, BroadwayWorld! Because we know all our readers eat, sleep and breathe Broadway, what could be better than waking up to it? Today's big news: The Public Theater hosts two panels on race this weekend, public TV gets in on the Tonys game, Rory O'Malley shows us why it doesn't take a village to raise a child -- it takes a pub, the BWW Awards wrap voting today, and the Drama Desk Awards will be held this Sunday night!
THIS WEEKEND'S TOP ITEMS:
- Today and tomorrow, The Public Theater welcomes Anna Deavere Smith, Steven Pinker and others for its 'TALKING ABOUT RACE' panels.
- Public TV kicks off its Tonys coverage today with CUNY TV's 2014 Tony Awards Preview, a rebroadcast of its 1999 interview with Arthur Gelb, and theatre critics Ben Brantley, Peter Markers and Terry Teachout on THEATER TALK...
- Rory O'Malley brings his autobiographical show PUB CRAWL back to Joe's Pub tonight!
- Voting for the 12th Annual BroadwayWorld.com Awards ends today, so be sure to let us know your picks from the 2013-14 season!
- And don't forget to tune in on Sunday evening for the 2014 Drama Desk Awards! We'll be bringing you all the winners and lots of other coverage early next week. To prep, refresh your memory with the full list of nominees here!
NEWS YOU MISSED YESTERDAY:
- The 2014 Tonys added more big names to its performance roster, including the cast of WICKED, IF/THEN star Idina Menzel, VIOLET's Sutton Foster, HEDWIG's Neil Patrick Harris and more!
- MAD MEN star Elisabeth Moss might come back to Broadway in a revival of THE HEIDI CHRONICLES...
- Both HEDWIG and LADY DAY are getting cast recordings; the latter will be done LIVE!
- We got a first look at Michael Shannon in THE KILLER off-Broadway, and at Paper Mill's production of GREASE (here)!
- The Public Theater will be hosting a SHAKESPEARE IN AMERICA forum, featuring James Earl Jones, Cynthia Nixon and more next month...
- Also next month, Jack Cummings III is directing THE MUSIC MAN in concert for Transport Group.
- We met the sizzling cast of BROADWAY BARES: ROCK HARD!
- A RAISIN IN THE SUN star Sophie Okonedo will appear with Benedict Cumberbatch in BBC TV's Shakespearean trilogy THE HOLLOW CROWN.
- In other UK news, a bunch of tours announced their dates and casts, including the RSC's A MAD WORLD MY MASTERS (here), MAMMA MIA! (here), TOP HAT (here), and DRACULA (here)!
- Laura Michelle Kelly has joined BWW's THE LORD & THE MASTER concert at Joe's Pub!
- And finally, the new ANNIE trailer has arrived, and it looks better than the first sneak peek we got!
Broadway Weather Forecast: A few thunderstorms today with a high of 69 degrees, but it's looking up on Saturday and Sunday with some sun and a high of 73 for the weekend.
Quote of the Day: Faith Prince on her "theatre" face...
I have a very 'theatre' face. I have what they call a wide mask. I probably would have been a big film star in the '20s with the silent films where they used a lot of key lighting, and make-up carved out your face.
-- Faith Prince (via BrainyQuote)
What we're looking forward to: Angelina Jolie in Disney's MALEFICENT, hitting theaters today! The movie has a WICKED-esque quality, giving us the evil witch's "origin story". Not to mention Elle Fanning is such a talented young actress. Plus, it looks damn beautiful. Go see it!
And finally, a Happy Birthday shout-out to Idina Menzel, who turns 43 today!
Menzel, considered one of the great actresses of musical theatre, kicked off her career in 1996 with RENT; she reprised her role as 'Maureen' for the film version in 2005. She later appeared in Broadway's AIDA but made an everlasting mark with her Tony-winning run as the green-skinned 'Elphaba' in WICKED, in which she starred opposite fellow diva Kristin Chenoweth in 2003. She is currently leading the new musical IF/THEN on Broadway following her success voicing the character 'Elsa' in Disney's animated movie musical FROZEN.
See you bright and early on Monday, BroadwayWorld!