Roth Transfers DIVINE SISTER to Soho Playhouse this Fall
Producer Daryl Roth announces that following a sold out developmental run last spring, THE DIVINE SISTER, the new comedy written by and starring Charles Busch, directed by Carl Andress, will transfer to the SoHo Playhouse (15 Vandam Street) featuring the entire original company: Alison Fraser, Amy Rutberg, Jennifer Van Dyck, Jonathan Walker, and Julie Halston.
THE DIVINE SISTER will begin previews Sunday, September 12 with an official opening of Wednesday, September 22.
THE DIVINE SISTER is an outrageous comic homage to nearly every Hollywood film involving nuns. Evoking such films as The Song of Bernadette, The Bells of St. Mary's, The Singing Nun and Agnes of God, THE DIVINE SISTER tells the story of St. Veronica's indomitable Mother Superior (author Charles Busch) who is determined to build a new school for her Pittsburgh convent. Along the way, she has to deal with a young postulant who is experiencing "visions," sexual hysteria among her nuns, a sensitive schoolboy in need of mentoring, a mysterious nun visiting from the Mother House in Berlin, and a former suitor intent on luring her away from her vows.
This madcap trip through Hollywood religiosity evokes the wildly comic but affectionately observed theatrical style of the creator of Die, Mommie, Die! and Psycho Beach Party.
THE DIVINE SISTER was originally presented in a developmental run at Theater for the New City (Crystal Field, Executive Artistic Director) where the production became a sold out hit less than a week into its run.
The original creative team from the run included: Scenic and Graphic Design by B.T. Whitehill, Costume Design by Fabio Toblini, Lighting Design by Kirk Bookman, Sound Design by Jill BC DuBoff, Wig Design by Katherine Carr, and Original Music by Lewis Flinn. All are expected to return for the upcoming production.
For more information on THE DIVINE SISTER, to get exclusive offers, and to follow the cast and creative team as they prepare to make the move to Soho Playhouse, join the Facebook fan group: www.facebook.com/divinesisteronstage or visit www.DivineSisterOnstage.com.
Tickets for THE DIVINE SISTER will go on sale to the general public on Tuesday, July 20 via www.Ovationtix.com, by calling 212-691-1555, or at the SoHo Playhouse box office (15 Vandam Street between Sixth Avenue and Varick Street). Tickets are $65.00.
For directions to the SoHo Playhouse and other information about the venue, please visit: www.SoHoPlayhouse.com.
Performance schedule for THE DIVINE SISTER is:
PREVIEW PERFORMANCE SCHEDULE
* SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 12: 3 PM
* MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 13 - SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 19: Monday through Thursday at 8 PM, Saturday at 8 PM, Sunday at 3 PM (6 performances).
* MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 20 - SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 26: Monday through Wednesday at 8 PM, Friday and Saturday at 8 PM, Sunday at 7 PM. Matinees on Saturday and Sunday at 3 PM.
REGULAR PERFORMANCE SCHEDULE (STARTING MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 27)
* Tuesday through Saturday at 8 PM, Sunday at 7 PM. Matinees on Saturday and Sunday at 3 PM.
HOLIDAY PERFORMANCE SCHEDULES
* THANKSGIVING WEEK: MONDAY, NOVEMBER 22 - SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 28: Monday through Wednesday at 8 PM, Friday and Saturday at 8 PM, Sunday at 7 PM. Matinees on Saturday and Sunday at 3 PM.
* CHRISTMAS WEEK: MONDAY, DECEMBER 20 - SUNDAY, DECEMBER 26: Tuesday through Friday at 8 PM, Sunday at 7 PM. Matinee on Sunday at 3 PM (6 performances).
* NEW YEAR'S WEEK: MONDAY, DECEMBER 27 - SUNDAY, JANUARY 2: Monday through Thursday at 8 PM, Saturday at 8 PM, Sunday at 7 PM. Matinees on Saturday and Sunday at 3 PM.