Review Roundup: Royal Shakespeare Company's MATILDA
Matilda The Musical played to sold-out audiences at the RSC's The Courtyard Theatre in Stratford-upon-Avon for twelve weeks from November 2010 to January 2011. Roald Dahl's magical story about a girl with extraordinary powers has been a favourite novel for millions of people across the world since it was published in 1988.
The new stage musical, which captured the imagination of young and old alike during its short run, is written by the highly acclaimed playwright Dennis Kelly, with music and lyrics by the anarchic Australian comedian, musician and composer Tim Minchin, and direction by Matthew Warchus.
The production is designed by Rob Howell, with choreography by Peter Darling, musical supervision and orchestration by Christopher Nightingale, lighting by Hugh Vanstone, sound by Simon Baker and special effects and illusions are by Paul Kieve. Did the show live up critics' high expectations in its West End debut? Find out now!
Henry Hitchings, Evening Standard: Matilda is a gem...This is true family entertainment. Children will enjoy its blissful mix of fantasy and irreverence and adults will savour it for these same reasons as well as a host of different ones. This generous, big-hearted piece is already being spoken of as one of the best new British musicals in years.
Lyn Gardner, The Guardian: Writer Dennis Kelly and composer and lyricist Tim Minchin go to the top of the class with this anarchically joyous, gleefully nasty and ingenious musical adaptation of Roald Dahl's story about a girl, Matilda, played by Kerry Ingram, who scoffs Dickens and Dostoevsky like other kids eat sweets...If anything, it is actually richer than Dahl's novel.
- Review Roundup: WHAT'S IT ALL ABOUT? BACHARACH REIMAGINED
- Review Roundup: Trans-Siberian Orchestra's THE LOST CHRISTMAS EVE Tour
- Review Roundup: Tricycle Theatre's ONCE A CATHOLIC
- Review Roundup: NO MAN'S LAND & WAITING FOR GODOT Open on Broadway - All the Reviews!
- UPDATED - Review Roundup: Broadway-Bound ALADDIN in Toronto
- Review Roundup: THE COMMONS OF PENSACOLA Opens Off-Broadway
- Review Roundup: MACBETH Opens on Broadway - All the Reviews!
- Review Roundup: Bill Cosby's FAR FROM FINISHED
- Review Roundup: STRANGERS ON A TRAIN at the Gielgud
- Review Roundup: Re-Imagined SIDE SHOW at La Jolla Playhouse