Official Statement: New Safety Protocols Underway, SPIDER-MAN to Resume Performances Tomorrow Night
An official statement has just been issued from the production which says that "OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration), Actors Equity and the New York State Department of Labor have met with the Spider-Man company today to discuss additional safety protocols. It was agreed that these measures would be enacted immediately.
Tomorrow's matinee has been postponed and will be rescheduled.
Tomorrow evening's, and all subsequent performances will proceed as scheduled."
Twitter was flooded last night shortly after 10:40 PM with messages from audience members at SPIDER-MAN, with word that an actor fell during the middle of Act 2 when a cable snapped. The show was first put on hold, and then cancelled as ambulances arrived on the scene. This morning, the actor has been identified as aerialist Christopher Tierney, who is reported to be in serious, but stable condition.
BroadwayWorld has learned from several sources that SPIDER-MAN stuntman Christopher Tierney has suffered several broken ribs and bleeding after his nearly 30-foot free fall on the SPIDEY set last night. Fortunately, Tierney landed such that he avoided any crippling neck or spinal injury. He is still being held at the hospital in serious, but stable condition.
For more on Tierney's injuries, click here.
Video of the incident can be seen here.
Earlier, Actors Equity released a short statement about last night's incident, stating that "We were informed shortly after the accident during the performance of Spiderman. We are working in cooperation with the state and city Department of Labor on this situation. We dont have a further statement at this time."
Many performers have contacted BroadwayWorld.com both last night and this morning, urging actors to contact the union individually to suggest that they 'step in' and get more involved with protecting the safety of the actors in this production.
- Alley Theater Cancels Tonight's Performance of ALL THE WHOS IN WHOVILLE
- Robert Graham Opens N.Y. Flagship
- Photo Flash: Barry Edelstein and Jack O'Brien in Conversation at The Old Globe
- Photo Flash: Lisa Lambert, Julia Johanos and More in Jim Caruso's Cast Party's 'Mentor Mondays' at Birdland
- Ultimate Golf Advantage Announces First Annual Christmas Gift Guide
- Calling all Canadians! Fire Your Phone Company' Right from netTALK's New E-commerce Site
- Setting the Trend in Agile Data Management: Delphix Recognized as a Leader by Database Trends and Applications
- My Classic Garage Honors Fallen Hero Adam Brown At Charlotte International Autoshow
- Fire Your Phone Company' Right from netTALK's New E-commerce Site
- ZephyrLIFE Home and ZephyrLIFE Hospital Released to Market