National Society of Film Critics Honors Jessica Chastain, Albert Brooks & More
The National Society of Film Critics on Saturday, January 7th, 2012, chose "Melancholia"
as Best Picture of the Year 2011. Kristin Dunst was named best actress for her performance in Lars von Trier's film, and Brad Pitt was named best actor for his work in "Moneyball" and "The Tree of Life." Albert Brooks won best supporting actor for his appearance in "Drive," and Jessica Chastain was named best supporting actress for her work in three films: "The Tree of Life," "Take Shelter" and "The Help."
See below for all votes in Best Picture and other categories for outstanding film achievement.
The Society, which is made up of 58 of the country's most prominent movie critics, held its 46th annual awards voting meeting at Sardi's Restaurant in New York City, using a weighted ballot system. Scrolls will be sent to the winners.
*1. Melancholia – 29 (Lars von Trier)
2. The Tree of Life – 28 (Terrence Malick)
3. A Separation – 20 (Asghar Farhadi)
*1. Terrence Malick – 31 (The Tree of Life)
2. Martin Scorsese – 29 (Hugo)
3. Lars von Trier – 23 (Melancholia)
*1. Cave of Forgotten Dreams – 35 (Werner Herzog)
2. The Interrupters – 26 (Steve James)
3. Into the Abyss – 18 (Werner Herzog)
BEST FOREIGN-LANGUAGE FILM
*1. A Separation – 67 (Asghar Farhadi)
2. Mysteries of Lisbon – 28 (Raoul Ruiz)
3. Le Havre – 22 (Aki Kaurismäki)
*1. The Tree of Life – 76 (Emanuel Lubezki)
2. Melancholia – 41 (Manuel Alberto Claro)
3. Hugo – 33 (Robert Richardson)
Ken Jacobs, for "Seeking the Monkey King."
1. BAMcinématek for its complete Vincente Minnelli retrospective with all titles shown on 16 mm. or 35 mm. film.
2. Lobster Films, Groupama Gan Foundation for Cinema and the Technicolor Foundation for Cinema for the restoration of the color version of George Méliès's "A Trip to the Moon."
3. New York's Museum of Modern Art for its extensive retrospective of Weimar Cinema.
4. Flicker Alley for their box set "Landmarks of Early Soviet Film."
5. Criterion Collecton for its 2-disc DVD package "The Complete Jean Vigo."