History Boys Stars Seen on 'On Stage' This Weekend
Barnett, who plays Posner, trained at LAMDA. He appeared in the original stage production, the radio version and the film of The History Boys. Other theatre includes His Dark Materials at the National, When You Cure Me at the Bush Theatre; The Marriage of Figaro for the Royal Exchange, Manchester, The Accrington Pals for Chichester Festival Theatre and Frankenstein at the Open Air Theatre. TV includes "The Royal," "Strange," "Inspector Linley" and "Coupling." Film credits include Mrs. Henderson Presents.
Griffiths, who plays Hector, appeared in the original stage production of The History Boys. Other theatre credits include Heroes, Luther, Art, The Man Who Came To Dinner, Katherine Howard, Galileo, Once In A Lifetime, Henry VIII, Volpone and Red Star. TV credits include "Bleak House," "The Brides In The Bath," "The Truth," and "Pie In The Sky." Extensive film credits include the upcoming The History Boys movie,Stage Beauty, Sleepy Hollow, Harry Potter I, II, III & V, Vatel, Naked Gun II, Funny Bones, Goldeneye, Withnail & I, Ghandi, The French Lieutenant's Woman, and Chariots of Fire.
The History Boys opened on Broadway on Sunday, April 23 at the Broadhurst Theatre (235 West 44th Street). The play originally opened May 18, 2004 at The National Theatre of Great Britain, where it won the Olivier, Evening Standard and London Critics Circle Awards for Best Play. It recently won the Drama League Award for Distinguished Production of a Play, and has been nominated for seven Drama Desk Awards.
The History Boys "is the thrilling comedy of eight bright, funny students trying to get into colleges and the year that influenced the rest of their lives. Guiding them are a maverick English teacher, a headmaster obsessed with results and a strong-willed history teacher resistant to change," state press notes.
The original National Theatre cast of The History Boys appear in the Broadway production. The boys are played by Samuel Anderson (Crowther), Samuel Barnett (Posner), Dominic Cooper (Dakin), James Corden (Timms), Sacha Dhawan (Akthar), Andrew Knott (Lockwood), Jamie Parker (Scripps) and Russell Tovey (Rudge). The teachers are played by Frances de la Tour (Mrs. Lintott), Richard Griffiths (Hector), Clive Merrison (Headmaster) and Stephen Campbell Moore (Irwin). Other roles are played by Bill Buell (TV Director), LeRoy McClain (Company), Pippa Pearthree (Make-up Lady), Alex Tonetta (Company) and Jeffrey Withers (Company).
- Playwright Leslye Headland to Appear at Brooklyn Premiere of BACHELORETTE for Q&A, 3/15
- Photo Flash: First Look at American Blues Theate's AMERICAN MYTH
- The Chekhov Collection Brings THE SEAGULL to Toronto, Now thru 3/23
- Jordan Tannahill Awarded Tarragon Urjo Kareda Residency Grant
- Towne Street Theatre to Continue Reading Series with BEFORE YOU SAY... I DO, 3/16
- Ibrahim Miari's IN BETWEEN to Play New Rep, 4/4-20
- DEBUTANTE. to Make World Premiere at the Bernie Wohl Center, 4/23-5/10
- Dinosaur Zoo Live!, Scooby Doo and More Set for April 2014 Family Events at MPAC
- Anon's MONEY IS AS INNOCENT AS THE GUN to Play Brighton Fringe, May 11-23
- Rolling World Premiere I AND YOU Extends thru 3/30 at Olney Theatre Center