Exclusive Photo Coverage: Inside A CHRISTMAS STORY's Gypsy Robe Ceremony
The company of A CHRISTMAS STORY just celebrated their opening with the Gypsy Robe ritual with the company's recipient Kirsten Wyatt. BroadwayWorld was on hand for the event and brings you full photo coverage below!
The Gypsy Robe began in 1950, when Bill Bradley, in the chorus of GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES, borrowed a dressing gown from Chorus member Florence Baum and sent it to a friend in CALL ME MADAM on opening night Oct 12, 1950 saying it was worn by all the Ziegfeld beauties and would "bless" the show. A cabbage rose from Ethel Merman's gown was added and the robe was passed along to next Broadway musical on opening night. The tradition evolved so that the robe is now presented to the "gypsy" who has performed the most Broadway musicals on a chorus contract. Along the way, the robe is decorated, painted, patched, stitched, and signed by everyone in the show, becoming a fanciful patchwork for an entire Broadway season.
Recognizing their cultural and historic value, Gypsy Robes can now be viewed at two of Equity's Offices. The National Headquarters in New York now houses two of the historic Robes. The second floor Audition Center's newly designed case displays the Robe from the 2006-2007 season, which was dedicated by the ACCA to the memory of Patrick Quinn. The 2007-2008 Robe, dedicated to Broadway veteran Adrian Bailey, can be viewed on the fourteenth floor Council lobby.
Photo Credit: Walter McBride
Timothy J. Alex recipient for ELF
Pete & Lily
- Photo Coverage: A GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE TO LOVE AND MURDER Cast Has Afternoon Tea at Downton Abbey Food Truck!
- Photo Coverage: KINKY BOOTS' Billy Porter, Stark Sands, Annaleigh Ashford & Jerry Mitchell Unveil Sardi's Portraits!
- FREEZE FRAME: KINKY BOOTS' Billy Porter, Stark Sands, Annaleigh Ashford & Jerry Mitchell Unveil Sardi's Portraits!
- Photo Coverage: Sierra Boggess, Norm Lewis, Zachary Levi & More Tribute Alan Menken at Oscar Hammerstein Awards!
- Photo Coverage: On the Red Carpet at the 2013 Oscar Hammerstein Awards
- Photo Coverage: At the Stage Door for IF/THEN's Final Shows in D.C.
- Photo Coverage: David Henry Hwang, Lynn Nottage & More Launch Cherry Lane Theatre's MENTOR PROJECT 2014
- Photo Flash: Remembering Christopher Evan Welch
- Up on the Marquee: ALADDIN
- Photo Coverage: Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric Aids Foundation Celebrates 25th Anniversary