Confirmed! CARRIE's Coming Back...
As BroadwayWorld has previously reported, producers Jeffrey Seller and Kevin McCollum, resurrected the infamous flop musical CARRIE for an Equity reading that had a notoriously short 3 night, 5 performance run on Broadway in 1988. The reading took place on November 20, 2009. The hope was to bring "Carrie" and her supernatural powers back to the Broadway stage. BWW then confirmed with Lesley Gore (sister of composer Michael Gore) back in mid-September that the show was moving forward.
The New York Times now has further details, including word that the Stafford Arima directed production is aiming for Off Broadway, produced by MCC and to play the Lucille Lortel Theater. Seller and McCollum are no longer involved with the production which has said to be further revamped, including the removal of the ACT II opener - Out for Blood. Click here for the full scoop!
The reading starred Marin Mazzie, Sutton Foster, Molly Ranson,Jennifer Damiano, Diana DeGarmo, Matt Doyle, John Arthur Greene, Philip Hoffman with Corey Boardman, Lilli Cooper, Katrina Rose Dideriksen, Benjamin Eakeley, Emily Ferranti, Kyle Harris,Kaitlin Kiyan, Max Kumangai, Mackenzie Mauzy, Preston Sadleir,Jonathan Schwartz, Bud Weber, and Sasha Weiss. To read the full scoop on the cast and creative team click here.
The confused and tragic original theatrical journey of CARRIE is well documented in Ken Mandelbaum's now classic book "Not Since 'Carrie': 40 Years of Musical Flops." It will be interesting to see how this new "chapter" plays out as the reading takes shape. McCollum did not return Riedel's call in relation to his Post article and details regarding the CARRIE reading are being kept a tightly held secret.
With original music by Michael Gore (Fame) and Dean Pitchford (Footloose) and a script byLawrence D. Cohen (who wrote the 1976 film as well), CARRIE: THE MUSICAL is often considered the biggest Broadway flop of all time.
The show had its first four-week run beginning on February 13, 1988 in Stratford-upon-Avon, England. Directed by Terry Hands and choreographed by Debbie Allen, the cast included Broadway veteran and cabaret singer Barbara Cook, Charlotte d'Amboise, Gene Anthony Ray, Darlene Love, and Linzi Hateley, in her stage debut, as Carrie.
- Photo Flash: Meet the Cast of Chance Theater's THE EIGHT: REINDEER MONOLOGUES
- Photo Flash: First Look at Chance Theater's THE SECRET GARDEN
- Photo Flash: Donna McKechnie, Jerry Mitchell and More at Birdland
- West End's MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG to Debut in Cinemas Nationwide, Dec 23
- Items from Iconic TCL Chinese Theatre Set for Profiles in History Auction, 12/21
- Barrow Group Theatre to Host MITF XV: THE 15th ANNIVERSARY Holiday Party, 12/16
- Casting Announced for Buzz22 Chicago's World Premiere Production of GHOST BIKE
- Lyric Stage Company of Boston to Present WORKING, A MUSICAL, 1/3-2/1
- Madison Theatre at Molloy College to Stage ROMEO & JULIET, 1/17-18
- Made Event to Host Sunday School Mini-Fest Area at Mysteryland USA, 5/23-26