30 Days of NYMF Day 14: Go-Go Beach
by John Wimbs
Come on, kids!
Grab a towel and run
to the way out, grooviest
place in the sun!
A beach party musical?
The original inspiration for Go-Go Beach came from the authors' love of the wildly popular beach party movies of the mid-1960s. The nature of the boy-meets-girl stories set against the backdrop of the surf, sand, pop music, dancing and crazy fashions make these films a natural source of material to adapt for a nostalgic musical comedy with a wide appeal.
She's a beauty. She's a queen.
She's the prettiest little thing
I've ever seen-seen-seen.
A bikini's not a place a chick can hide –
but it ain't about the wrapping,
it's the thing that fits inside!
But, early on in the development of the material we all came to realize that simply re-creating a beach party movie on stage wasn't going to be enough of a reason for this piece to exist. When we began to explore themes of the '60s, we realized that we had an opportunity to tell a touching coming-of-age story not only about the teens on this beach, but about the coming-of-age of an entire generation.
In San Francisco
there's a brand new beat.
You can walk to the rhythm
of your own two feet.
In San Francisco
you've got something to say.
And if you don't,
you can always say
"Hey! Hey! Hey!"
The show became a metaphor for the extreme cultural shift of perspective that occurred at the time – as a reaction to the events that were taking place in America and around the world. The show became a story about bigger ideas that are universal and timeless… and relevant to the world we live in today.
I want to find the seekers.
I'm not the only one.
There's no time now for sleeping.
Our journey's just begun.
Open up your eyes,
there's something happening out there.
Can you feel the magic in the air?
- Koubek Center of Miami Dade College to Present MARTHA MARCHENA IN CONCERT, 5/10
- THINGS YOU SHOULDN'T SAY PAST MIDNIGHT to Open 5/10 at The Keegan Theatre
- The Drop Your Jaw Improv Group and The Hope For Change Players Host A BATTLE FOR A CURE This Weekend
- L'ARIA DEL CONTINENTE - sala umberto - dal 22 aprile al 4 maggio 2014
- CRAZYTOWN: MY FIRST PSYCHOPATH Returns to NYC at The Triad, 5/18
- PROOF to Open 5/1 at Sierra Stages
- Photo Flash: First Look at Riverside Theatre's HOW TO SUCCEED IN BUSINESS WITHOUT REALLY TRYING